The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

Connor doesnt have real raw power. I dont wanna hear about the touch of death. He could not KO nate and he hit him with the kitchen sink. Hes very good at KOing guys im his division but i chalk that up to other worldly timing. He cant go up to 170 and starch ppl.

Theres a cpl guys that can KO anyone they fight, he aint one of em
You're leaving out his accuracy.

But hey, I guess we'll see.

The narrative in his Mayweather exhibition was that Connor has knock out power. He hits Floyd and it’s nighty night.

Connor gave him a nice uppercut in one of the early rounds. Floyd then rope a doped him then went for the TKO.

Nate Diaz has never been slept by a punch.. the bat to the head he took from Thomson didn't even put him out cold :sick: his chin is legendary. Dude takes a beating and stays standing

Conor still knocked him down three times. I don't think anyone else can say they've even knocked Nate down with a punch even twice in a fight

He might not have other worldly power in his hands, it's more about the precision. Compared to the rest of the division, the pop in his hands is still probably the best anyway

The narrative in his Mayweather exhibition was that Connor has knock out power. He hits Floyd and it’s nighty night.

Connor gave him a nice uppercut in one of the early rounds. Floyd then rope a doped him then went for the TKO.

Okay his “power” is a mix of technique, timing and speed.

All of which are nullified against a master counterpuncher and defensive boxer such as Floyd.

It’s a lot easier catching a sloppy unrefined Aldo coming in with a looping left with a sneaky left of your own.

McGregor studies his opponents tendencies and looks for those mistakes to capitalize on.

This isn’t brute power alone. Brute power is when you wobble a guy with a partially defended strike, it’s when you knock him out with an arm punch without even turning into it, power is when a clean short compact shot on a release snaps your opponents head back and ends his evening.

That’s power.

Costa just letting it fly

After win this fight, I will go to the title shot,” Costa said. “I believe that."

“He’s a regular fight, for me,” Costa said of Robert Whittaker. “He’s not so good in the standup, or wrestling, or jiu-jitsu. He’s a regular fight, you know?”

So who has that true knockout power?

Woodley had three title fights where he didn’t knock someone out. He was close to taking out Wonderboy in their first fight. Which caused the second fight to be lamer.

Stephens didn’t knock out Aldo.

Woodley had three title fights where he didn’t knock someone out. He was close to taking out Wonderboy in their first fight. Which caused the second fight to be lamer.

Thing is south of 170 not many cats have that kind of power.

Force = mass * acceleration.

When you have more mass it’s you’re going to have more behind your punches.

i can't just crown him off that especially with him skipping the line at 155, going 1-1 with nate, and being absent the past 2 years while the division fights it out but i guess that's the age we're in nowadays with the qualifications getting less and less clear + the fans being so overeager to crown the next best thing after every damn fight... i'd rather let **** play out first cuz we know anything could happen in that cage. :lol: i find these goat discussions for a sport that's hardly been around 30 years out silly anyway.

Last edited:
So he didn’t knock out Max and Nate (and Floyd)?

But real talk. Are there any questions when it comes to JBJ (besides shaking the cheating and bad boy image)? He seems to excel in most situations. Wrestling (out grappled Cormier), Striking, spacing. We’ve seen him adversity...Sonnen and Gustafson. Jon could have been a two-division champ if his dumb butt had stayed out of trouble.

With Connor, I think we all sort of wink, wink. Grappling is not his forte. He’s never had to face a force like Khabib. Khabib looks like he could give 170-185s fits.

You need 100% KO rate to have KO power now?? :lol:

There’s a lot of dudes between 145-170 who sleep people regularly.

You need 100% KO rate to have KO power now?? :lol:

There’s a lot of dudes between 145-170 who sleep people regularly.

He’s a knockout artist. No question. He didn’t knock out 2.5 dudes.

My only point is the goat talk. With the way he didn’t defend his title and questions about grappling matchups, he really shouldn’t be in the discussion of GOATs.

If he beats Khabib, different story.

Let’s be clear. He cleaned out 145. Besides Ortega or the new jacks, he doesn’t have anything to prove. 155 is a different story. I think if he were to beat Khabib and Tony. He’d have a good claim to GOATdom. But I feel like Kevin Lee and Khabib are bad matchups.

Anyone T wood hits clean is hurt. Thats different than Connors left.

Like someone else so elequently stated its hardddd for 45 and 55ers to be in this discussion. They jus dont have the mass. Im talking the power to jus clip a guy and its over. Connor did that to Dustin i suppose which was impressive but that was more about placement.

Conor has big wins and will be remembered as one of the best but it seems weird to call a dude who never defended a belt the GOAT.

If he beats Khabib, especially if he sleeps him coming off the layoff, you gotta give him credit as one of the best to do it. Not the GOAT, but that’d be pretty impressive.

Back
Top Bottom