The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC on NOW: Black Beast

You are crazy as hell if you think the way Jon Jones has fought these past two fights would be considered “imposing his will”
Timid was probably not a good adjective.

Safe, which is the way Izzy fought (and T Woodley had when he had the title).

Santos and Reyes were both dangerous opponents.

And post pulsing, Jon hasn’t fought with the same aggressiveness, dynamic striking, etc. Yes, he’s a smart octagon general.

Izzy looked like Jon in his last fight.“Leg kicks” = “grappling”

Yoel definitely left it in the hands of the judges that fight. His light was brilliant in very short bursts.

Izzy is not going to avoid a slobber knocker with Costa.

Also been listening to podcasts. A lot of folks are torn on the outcomes of the co mains.

Watched the fights last night and managed to avoid spoilers. SMH at that main event. I get that Izzy was playing it safe as he did get hit with a few big shots from Romero. But Romero was looking for the homerun shot and then didn't even try to follow them up. This fight was a huge letdown and so bizarre. Like others have said though MMA fans have short memories and if Izzy finishes or dominates Costa all will be forgiven. All champs seem to have duds and this one is right up there. Kind of reminds me of the Francis/Lewis fight I was so hyped about and then both guys were gun shy and barely engaged. As far as title fights this had shades of Anderson/Maia in that both guys were going to stick to their guns and Andy did just enough to win.

That co-main fight though... insane output from both fighters and JJ got lit up. I did agree with Zhang getting the nod as she had the bigger moments and her punches inflicted more damage. Though I could see the argument for JJ with the overall volume she was hitting Zhang with. Amazing fight overall and could see it being FOTY because you just don't see that type of output much, especially in a championship fight. Wonder if they make JJ win another fight as they might give Rose the nod should she win in the rematch against Andrade.

Watched the fights last night and managed to avoid spoilers. SMH at that main event. I get that Izzy was playing it safe as he did get hit with a few big shots from Romero. But Romero was looking for the homerun shot and then didn't even try to follow them up. This fight was a huge letdown and so bizarre. Like others have said though MMA fans have short memories and if Izzy finishes or dominates Costa all will be forgiven. All champs seem to have duds and this one is right up there. Kind of reminds me of the Francis/Lewis fight I was so hyped about and then both guys were gun shy and barely engaged. As far as title fights this had shades of Anderson/Maia in that both guys were going to stick to their guns and Andy did just enough to win.

That co-main fight though... insane output from both fighters and JJ got lit up. I did agree with Zhang getting the nod as she had the bigger moments and her punches inflicted more damage. Though I could see the argument for JJ with the overall volume she was hitting Zhang with. Amazing fight overall and could see it being FOTY because you just don't see that type of output much, especially in a championship fight. Wonder if they make JJ win another fight as they might give Rose the nod should she win in the rematch against Andrade.

The MMA math is crazy for that division. JJ beats Andrade but get's KO'd by Rose. Rose beats JJ twice but gets dropped by Andrade. Andrade gets TKO'd by Zhang and has a hard fought battle with JJ. So that means Zhang should be able to beat Rose right in 5 rounds then right? Unless Andrade takes care of her again on their rematch. I guess this is why I love this sport.

Weird that Rose Ko'ed JJ clean when it seems like Zhang definitely hits harder IMO. Didn't JJ attribute that to a bad weight cut and that's why she got koed (could be her excuse though). For sure the SW division is legit.

I don't think Andrade is going to beat Rose again, Rose was piecing her up until the slam.

Y’all heard Ortega slapped Jay Park when Korean Zombie went to the washroom?

:lol:

what a ***** move

Last edited:
Disappointing fights.

JBJ vs Santos.
Nunes vs GDR
Valentina vs Carmouche
Max vs Volkanowski

We can go on forever (like DC vs Black Beast, Black Beast vs Francis, DC vs Silva). Styles make fights. But teams also try use game plans. Izzy probably used plan B when Yoel decided to execute his. Izzy is more of a counter striker a la Silva.

Costa won’t be gun shy. And Cannonier would probably be a snooze fest. And JBJ vs Izzy based on what we saw this past weekend might not be a good fight especially with the threat of Jons wrestling.

So Ortega slapped a Kpop star?!? Also didn't they say Jay Park writes KZ's posts so he was speaking on behalf of KZ again there??? Hahahaha.

You are crazy as hell if you think the way Jon Jones has fought these past two fights would be considered “imposing his will”
I mean santos had both his knees ripped up and is still currently rehabbing on the sidelines...I don’t think that was exactly in his gameplan

reyes started out very well but jon wethered the storm and waited for dom to gas the last 2 rounds, I’m pretty sure that was a part of jons gameplan, I don’t think reyes wanted to gas in the 4th and 5th.....granted the reyes fight was very close, but at the end of the 5th round, jones was fresher and still moving forward implying his gameplan while dom was on autopilot just trying to make the bell.

and yeah usually if you win the fight you imposed your will.....I think people are just used to the younger jon being so dominant. Pulsating Jon is still imposing his will on his opponents, just not as dominant as before....

From that TMZ footy, Ortega couldn't have slapped that guy that hard. Probably just to check the guy. I wonder if Zombie actually said Ortega was ducking him or if it was Jay Park saying it without Zombie's consent. I don't think it's that big of a deal but if it gets them to fight, I am for it.

From that TMZ footy, Ortega couldn't have slapped that guy that hard. Probably just to check the guy. I wonder if Zombie actually said Ortega was ducking him or if it was Jay Park saying it without Zombie's consent. I don't think it's that big of a deal but if it gets them to fight, I am for it.
Even if Brian Oretega confronted the civilian without making contact, it is still a punk *** move.

I’m all for KZ/T.City fight but no need to involve civilians. Even if they make gangsta rap.

Max is probably getting that rematch (how come no one is calling out Volkanowski who used the same leg kick strategy on Max).

Do a four-man tournament. Zabit/Yair. KZ/Ortega for #1 contender.

I’m all for KZ/T.City fight but no need to involve civilians. Even if they make gangsta rap.

Max is probably getting that rematch (how come no one is calling out Volkanowski who used the same leg kick strategy on Max).

Do a four-man tournament. Zabit/Yair. KZ/Ortega for #1 contender.

Ehh the Max/Volk fight is a bad comparison. I mean obviously it wasn't the most entertaining but it wasn't Condit/Diaz bad lol.

tenor.gif

Valentina always seemed bitter as hell towards Zhang, but set up the fight if Zhang wants it

“She did good. She’s strong,” Shevchenko said on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show. “But you could see, once she starts [to] get the real competition, the real level of martial artist, the top level of fighters, the top level of opponent, now she has a struggle. You could see how difficult was this fight with Joanna, her fight, how difficult it was. And I really don’t see Weili defending her belt in the next title fight.”

“In my opinion, Joanna won this fight because her accuracy was more on point,” Valentina Shevchenko explained. “And yes, she gets this inflammation on her head, but it was just one punch.”

“I’ll gladly fight her and I don’t see any difficulties in this fight,” she concluded

Damn I like valentina but she sounded hella salty there. She straight up thinks she is going to lose her next matchup when Joanna is probably the highest technical level fighter in the straw weight division

this whole Ortega situation is totally weird like Jay park said. what was the point for assaulting a translator :lol:

this whole Ortega situation is totally weird like Jay park said. what was the point for assaulting a translator :lol:
Jay Park seems like a cool guy and by all accounts he never talked sideways to Ortega. I lost respect for Ortega and the fact that he waited for Zombie to leave before approaching Park

Going out sad and he's from my area

Weili Zhang vs Tatiana Suarez is the fight I ultimately want to see. It will be a while though. Suarez needs a tuneup when she returns and then a slightly challenging fight.

Back
Top Bottom