The Official 2010-2011 New York Giants Offseason Thread Vol. Tom Coughlin to Return as Head Coach

Every year we make the same mistakes. We plug a hole and another one opens up. Seems like as a team we're always behind the curve, in comparison to a team like New England that always seems to know the right moves to make.

On offense we have a lot of talent but our offensive scheme needs to be revamped. We run the same plays every week and we run them in the same situations. Even I know what's coming more than half the time. This is why our running game is not what it used to be and our passes are almost always either contested or brought down quickly. How may times have you seen one of our receivers get open because the defense was confused or misled? Rarely. Our wide receivers get open on individual effort and good route running, not because we're ever one step ahead of a defense. Eli has been having to squeeze balls in to ridiculously small windows or throw high/outside where only his receiver can get it. I really think we need to expand our playcalling cause what we had this year won't cut it. Our screens are pathetic and without a true and consistent deep threat, running the same plays over the middle of the field ain't gonna fool anyone.

On defense we need to stay healthy and stay motivated. It seems like since Strahan left our D only shows up when they feel like it. And with Pierce gone from last year no one even tried to pick up the torch and be a leader. We might need to bring in a veteran or two cause some of our defensive letdowns were inexcusable.

Most importantly, and the most overlooked problem we have year in and year out is our special teams. I think this might be our biggest problem. I been a Giants fan for almost three decades now and I can't remember ever having a special teams offense or defense worth a damn. I don't even have to look at this years stats to know that our special teams offense is deplorable and probably at the bottom of the league. God only knows when the last time we ran a punt or kickoff back. Seems like we always have some wide receiver reject who just barely made the team running it back to the 20 and getting stonewalled. No cuts, no jukes, no speed. Catch, 5-10yd return, down. And our special teams defense ain't no better. They probably rank in the bottom half of the league. We need to get players who want to play special teams and are going to work towards being good at it. The one bright spot we had over the last few years was Tyree and he's gone. Don't let me get started on our kicking game
30t6p3b.gif
It's embarrassing. How is it that other teams can find guys who can kick it through the back of the damn endzone and we can't even get a guy who can follow directions? IDGAF if its a rookie. It's like they say, as a kicker you're there for one thing and one thing only and if you can't do that thing right you're worthless.

As for Tom Coughlin, I'm not opposed to him staying. But I'm also not opposed to shaking things up with a guy like Bill Cowher. Coughlin preaches the right things but the messages seems to get lost in translation a lot of the time. Maybe he's grown too old, I dunno. What I do know is if Fewell bails our defense is going to be in shambles. Cowher would be a great fit and can keep that defense playing at a high level. And Eli's growth seems to have stunted. What better way to kick start the engine than with a no-nonsense, scowl at you from a 100yds away every time you do something stupid kinda coach? Maybe bring in a decent backup quarterback in training camp and light a fire under Eli's rear. I know a lot of those interceptions weren't his fault and he didn't have his usual safety net and other regulars on a consistent basis but far too of those picks were on him.

Overall it was a decent season and I would've liked to have upset a few enemies in the playoffs but our chances of winning it all we're slim to none. Maybe its better we start reevaluating early and get his ship right. The warm fuzzy feeling I get inside from making the Pats go 18-1 and winning that super bowl in miraculous fashion is starting to fade and the trashtalkers are starting to take aim at us. Jets fans have even had the audacity of mentioning our names
30t6p3b.gif
We gotta do better while we have some really good pieces cause I'm not trying to have the Giants fade into obscurity. I just got my Knicks back, I can't lose the GMen
laugh.gif

Seems like all of us know what the problems are so hopefully they get fixed....

Gillbride seriously needs to go...I mean I know our offense can put up some points at times, but like everyone else said it is so predictable on what they are going to call like 80% of the time...We do need a veteran WR like Mez said because all of our WR run some @@$#$% routes...As for the D we need Tuck to step up some more and be a better leader...How do we have the most turnovers in the NFL on D, and then some games give up 40+ points....I swear our D is bi-polar.

Like others said I wasn't expecting to win it all this year, but unlike people who don't follow the Giants, I knew we weren't going to be terrible and win like 5-6 games...We need to draft some help for D, and a damn TE

Seems like all of us know what the problems are so hopefully they get fixed....

Gillbride seriously needs to go...I mean I know our offense can put up some points at times, but like everyone else said it is so predictable on what they are going to call like 80% of the time...We do need a veteran WR like Mez said because all of our WR run some @@$#$% routes...As for the D we need Tuck to step up some more and be a better leader...How do we have the most turnovers in the NFL on D, and then some games give up 40+ points....I swear our D is bi-polar.

Like others said I wasn't expecting to win it all this year, but unlike people who don't follow the Giants, I knew we weren't going to be terrible and win like 5-6 games...We need to draft some help for D, and a damn TE

The only team that got in our way this year was unfortunately us.  Shot ourselves in the foot way too much. 

Eli is the very least of our problems.  He had a true Jekyll and Hyde year with all the TD passes and interceptions.  I'd say 15 of those picks were deserved and I'd like to see him have 12 tops.

I think we need a LB first and foremost, and also need to revamp the offensive line a little bit.  We tested the depth of our o-line way too much this year although the backups proved to be great surprises. 

Just think, Hixon and Kiwanuka next year at 100%,
pimp.gif

Also, think Cofield is a free agent?  He is such a great plug inside for us and highly under appreciated.  That dude needs to be retained, he is a beast.

I would sign Plax in a second if I were running the team, but who knows.

The only team that got in our way this year was unfortunately us.  Shot ourselves in the foot way too much. 

Eli is the very least of our problems.  He had a true Jekyll and Hyde year with all the TD passes and interceptions.  I'd say 15 of those picks were deserved and I'd like to see him have 12 tops.

I think we need a LB first and foremost, and also need to revamp the offensive line a little bit.  We tested the depth of our o-line way too much this year although the backups proved to be great surprises. 

Just think, Hixon and Kiwanuka next year at 100%,
pimp.gif

Also, think Cofield is a free agent?  He is such a great plug inside for us and highly under appreciated.  That dude needs to be retained, he is a beast.

I would sign Plax in a second if I were running the team, but who knows.

We need to address the O-Line.....age is rearing it's ugly head when it comes to that area. Our secondary needs revamping also.

We need to address the O-Line.....age is rearing it's ugly head when it comes to that area. Our secondary needs revamping also.

The O Line held their own especially with all the injuries, they just weren't doing a good job with run blocking on a CONSISTENT BASIS.

Secondary is a bit iffy though, we don't have ball hawks at the safety position but they can tackle their @%%** off. The pressure on the front doesn't get pressure on a consistent basis either, but their blitzing schemes with safety's was pretty damn good. The defense still forced the most forced fumbles and I THINK were tops in the league in interceptions.

Bye bye Kevin Boss, your one catch in the Superbowl win was appreciated.

The O Line held their own especially with all the injuries, they just weren't doing a good job with run blocking on a CONSISTENT BASIS.

Secondary is a bit iffy though, we don't have ball hawks at the safety position but they can tackle their @%%** off. The pressure on the front doesn't get pressure on a consistent basis either, but their blitzing schemes with safety's was pretty damn good. The defense still forced the most forced fumbles and I THINK were tops in the league in interceptions.

Bye bye Kevin Boss, your one catch in the Superbowl win was appreciated.

Disappointing season, but these dudes did not deserve to make the playoffs.

As for our current roster, Coefield and Smith have to be resigned right? Kiwi might be done for good, isn't his bulging neck disk injury similar to the one that ended Pierce's career? The decision to bring back Shawn Andrews is probably also a big question mark, but I think he's played well when healthy. I don't want to see David Diehl play LT again, so hopefully that's addressed. Also, Matt Dodge and our Special Teams coach needs to go. Should've been gone like 10 weeks ago, but now there's no excuses, they can't be here next year.

It'd be nice if we can:
1. Draft a LT with the potential to start in their first year (I'm not sold on Beatty, although I can see him maybe replacing McKenzie down the road)
2. Sign a playmaking LB, inside or outside (isn't Barrett Rudd an UFA this offseason?)
3. Sign or draft a legit #1 TE (I'd keep Boss, but he is not a reliable target as a #1)
4. Sign a Veteran Wideout (someone cheap that would be better than Derek Hagan given injuries to the starters)
5. Draft an athletic corner that can return kicks and have the potential to compete with Aaron Ross for the nickel spot (Ross is always injured, and gets beat in coverage all the time when healthy)

Disappointing season, but these dudes did not deserve to make the playoffs.

As for our current roster, Coefield and Smith have to be resigned right? Kiwi might be done for good, isn't his bulging neck disk injury similar to the one that ended Pierce's career? The decision to bring back Shawn Andrews is probably also a big question mark, but I think he's played well when healthy. I don't want to see David Diehl play LT again, so hopefully that's addressed. Also, Matt Dodge and our Special Teams coach needs to go. Should've been gone like 10 weeks ago, but now there's no excuses, they can't be here next year.

It'd be nice if we can:
1. Draft a LT with the potential to start in their first year (I'm not sold on Beatty, although I can see him maybe replacing McKenzie down the road)
2. Sign a playmaking LB, inside or outside (isn't Barrett Rudd an UFA this offseason?)
3. Sign or draft a legit #1 TE (I'd keep Boss, but he is not a reliable target as a #1)
4. Sign a Veteran Wideout (someone cheap that would be better than Derek Hagan given injuries to the starters)
5. Draft an athletic corner that can return kicks and have the potential to compete with Aaron Ross for the nickel spot (Ross is always injured, and gets beat in coverage all the time when healthy)

At one point in the season we were the best team in the NFC, even with all the turnovers. They came back to bite us enormously and that's that. Plus that fluke loss to Philly didn't help things either. We ended up with the same record as the Eagles and they beat us twice. I'm sure their offseason thread is coming soon, but you won't find me in there.

At one point in the season we were the best team in the NFC, even with all the turnovers. They came back to bite us enormously and that's that. Plus that fluke loss to Philly didn't help things either. We ended up with the same record as the Eagles and they beat us twice. I'm sure their offseason thread is coming soon, but you won't find me in there.

Back
Top Bottom