THE OFFICIAL ADIDAS THREAD OF JAMES HARDEN - VOLUME 8 IN LOS ANGELES (CLIPPERS)

Should Vol. 2 have a new thread or keep it here?

• Here

Votes: 56 73.7%
  • New

Votes: 20 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow....from the reviews on Lightstrike on the N3XT L3V3L the cushioning is very nice. Harden was seen practicing in them so if this holds up being true maybe he gave the green light on it. Wonder if they’ll move away from boost in basketball....

JS”

After a short break in, Lightstrike is NICE. Not as bouncy as Boost but good compression and feel. Plus it is way lighter than Boost, so that bottom heavy feeling is gone. Only thing that worries is longevity - most foams are lighter because of more air injected in the process, so as the air is broken the foam will lose rebound factor and stay compressed.

My buddy returned the 3’s, said heel trouble. Clunky like the 2’s. Anyone else experience that. The heel piece is so wide and tall.
Never tried on the V2s so I can't compare but the V3s don't feel clunky at all. I don't even notice the tall heel collar when playing in them. Try them on for yourself, they're nothing special aesthetically but performance wise they are very, very good.

So swapping Boost for Lightstrike and dropping the price $10. Does this establish the adidas cushioning hierarchy as (worst to best): Cloud Foam, adiPrene, adiPrene+, Bounce, Lightstrike, Boost?

Bryan and Nightwing both gave Lightstrike a "Starting 5" rating in their N3XT L3V3L reviews. Excited to try it out in the V4 next year.

Still want one more pair of V3s for the rotation and keep my other 2 pairs fresh.

After a short break in, Lightstrike is NICE. Not as bouncy as Boost but good compression and feel. Plus it is way lighter than Boost, so that bottom heavy feeling is gone. Only thing that worries is longevity - most foams are lighter because of more air injected in the process, so as the air is broken the foam will lose rebound factor and stay compressed.

Lightning foam is intriguing. From reviews it sounds lighter than boost but more responsive than bounce - like it is the middle ground between the two cushioning foams. I’m fine moving to Lightning foam if the cushioning is thick enough to cushion my older knees and if it has good longevity. I’ll be grumpy if it ends up being more like Lunar or Lunarlon...

If anyone wants a 11.5 in the vol 2 blue colorway lmk. Wore it once today to shoot around and I need a 12.

For the sale price of course from footlocker.

Just trying to help members mods

I’m wondering if truly properly caging or harnessing boost is too difficult in basketball or if the boost for basketball isn’t as “consistent” and therefore allows for too many variations which results in consumer complaints/returns? In other words there could be too much inconsistency in basketball boost from one sneaker to the next. Not sure but boost seemed to be the flagship of cushioning and harden is the flagship of the basketball category (in terms of signature models) so for the series to go away from it seems very strange.

JS”

I’m wondering if truly properly caging or harnessing boost is too difficult in basketball or if the boost for basketball isn’t as “consistent” and therefore allows for too many variations which results in consumer complaints/returns? In other words there could be too much inconsistency in basketball boost from one sneaker to the next. Not sure but boost seemed to be the flagship of cushioning and harden is the flagship of the basketball category (in terms of signature models) so for the series to go away from it seems very strange.

JS”

I think caging the Boost takes away its greatest selling point - that bouncy, almost uncontrollable cushiony feel. Basketball models don’t have the Boost feel like and Ultraboost, so the general public thinks it isnt working. On the other hand, if you don’t cage it, the edges are almost unstable and lead to ankle rolls when the midsole edges collapse. The Harden 3 isn’t bad because the boost isn’t as thick, but a shoe like the Clb16 and rose 7 is pretty high and could be dangerous (although I love the rose 7).

Eh, not surprising when you look at Nike and UA periodically moving away from Zoom and Micro G. I always saw it as a cost-cutting gimmick no matter what fancy schmancy verbiage and explanations they used in their marketing and ads.

I would definitely agree that the full potential of Boost, ie Ultraboost or EQT 93/17, hasn't been fully realized in bball shoes, or at least in the ones I've tried. I don't think that has anything to do with putting LS in the Harden 4 though.

Good thing we have choices. People can just stock up on 2's and 3's, or other shoes (Why Not 2 looks promising) and sit out the next few models if the cushioning sucks.

JS”
Maybe but everybody I know that has played in the Hardens have loved them with no complaints. Obviously that's just a small circle but even on here most people seem to like them as on court sneakers. I'll give the lightstrike a chance but personally I love the Harden line with boost. Hopefully these are better or I might have to do like deezyvsop2 deezyvsop2 mentioned and expand my ball sneakers away from just the Harden line like I've done recently.

Maybe but everybody I know that has played in the Hardens have loved them with no complaints. Obviously that's just a small circle but even on here most people seem to like them as on court sneakers. I'll give the lightstrike a chance but personally I love the Harden line with boost. Hopefully these are better or I might have to do like deezyvsop2 deezyvsop2 mentioned and expand my ball sneakers away from just the Harden line like I've done recently.

If memory serves correctly, there’s been quite a few people on here who’ve stated either their boost was either not bouncy, too stiff, or mushy depending on the colorway. I know a lot of people love them, no hate from me, it just goes to my consistency point. It’ll be interesting if they really phase out boost especially on Hardens signature and if this alienates harden faithfuls. I for one want to try the lightstrike tech.

JS”

If memory serves correctly, there’s been quite a few people on here who’ve stated either their boost was either not bouncy, too stiff, or mushy depending on the colorway. I know a lot of people love them, no hate from me, it just goes to my consistency point. It’ll be interesting if they really phase out boost especially on Hardens signature and if this alienates harden faithfuls. I for one want to try the lightstrike tech.

JS”
Maybe I typed it to confusing but must of the first part of the post was about people I actually know and their experience with the Hardens. I wasn't saying nobody had any complaints at all about them outside of my small circle of people I know from balling. I'll give the LS a try esp on Hardens since performance wise I mess with this like heavy. Just hope it isn't a downgrade from how boost feels because I love playing in the Hardens esp when you get them super sale prices because enough people aren't up on how awesome these are for ball.

JS”
I’ve really liked the Harden line and am very with happy with the performance of the V3s. I’ve played in 5 colorways and they are consistently great for me. I really like the boost setup. I’m fine trying out lightning foam if it’s as good or better. I just want some very good basketball shoes to play and will be disappointed if the V4s don’t deliver. I am sure I can find another good shoe from adidas or another brand (Protro 4s?) if the V4s are subpar. Life moves on...

My buddy returned the 3’s, said heel trouble. Clunky like the 2’s. Anyone else experience that. The heel piece is so wide and tall.

Not even a little bit. It's one of the rare shoes that has the perfect fit and almost 0 break in time fresh out the box.

I would definitely agree that the full potential of Boost, ie Ultraboost or EQT 93/17, hasn't been fully realized in bball shoes, or at least in the ones I've tried.

I think the full potential of boost has been fully realized in hoops shoes. Adidas has caged it in different spots laterally and medially, firmed it up in some models, thinned it out in other models, increased volume and they've segmented it. I'm sure there are other things you can do from a marketing standpoint to make it seem like there's more to what Boost can do/ how it can perform but I doubt you're not going to get a better performing hoop shoe than either the D Rose 7, Crazy Explosive '16 or '17 or Harden 2 or 3. Marketing tactics will make even some of the most astute consumers think that they're getting something new, when the truth is that it's simply been repackaged.

Like someone else kind of touched on- Zoom, Air Max and other cushions have gone through similar permutations, yet here we are in 2019 talking about how the Kobe Protro 1's ($200) were one of the top performers of the year when the Jordan 12 with very similar tech released in 1997 at $135.

The joke is most definitely on us.

Maybe but everybody I know that has played in the Hardens have loved them with no complaints.

Same.

The only complaint I've heard is that the color ways are trash.

Can't please everybody.

And keep in mind that there's a lot of Thabo Sefalosha's out there that can't play in anything but Air Max 90's... so there's that too.

JS”

I’m one of those lucky ones. I’ve always had to go through different pairs of Boost basketball kicks because of inconsistency; that, or the Boost firms up too quick in the forefoot to the point to where it is painful to play in (Rose 6).

With the Vol 2, even amongst the 2 pairs that I have kept the Boost feels different. In my Pioneers the Boost is firm and thick with slight give (which is really how I like it for pushing off of and gives you extra spring). My stepback blues felt a lot softer from the start, to the point where I thought something was wrong with my Ignite maroon pair and sent them back to Hibbet (glad I did because I was able to get the Pioneer colorway). Having broken the blue pair in and packed the Boost down a bit, it’s not as soft as when I first got them but they still have a different feel than the Ignites ever did after I broke those in after a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Shortening Lightstrike to LS is really throwing me off making me think yall are referring to these:
CQ1400_a1

F36840

I’m one of those lucky ones. I’ve always had to go through different pairs of Boost basketball kicks because of inconsistency; that, or the Boost firms up too quick in the forefoot to the point to where it is painful to play in (Rose 6).

With the Vol 2, even amongst the 2 pairs that I have kept the Boost feels different. In my Pioneers the Boost is firm and thick with slight give (which is really how I like it for pushing off of and gives you extra spring). My stepback blues felt a lot softer from the start, to the point where I thought something was wrong with my Ignite maroon pair and sent them back to Hibbet (glad I did because I was able to get the Pioneer colorway). Having broken the blue pair in and packed the Boost down a bit, it’s not as soft as when I first got them but they still have a different feel than the Ignites ever did after I broke those in after a couple of weeks.

Yea I thought there were quite a few like you who had mentioned the inconsistency and the frustration associated with it. I’ve heard people really rave/love the model as well. I know it’s personal preference but it’s just strange when a cushioning system can have so many variables from one colorway to the next.

JS”

Yea I thought there were quite a few like you who had mentioned the inconsistency and the frustration associated with it. I’ve heard people really rave/love the model as well. I know it’s personal preference but it’s just strange when a cushioning system can have so many variables from one colorway to the next.

JS”
I don't really notice the boost all that much when I'm playing, which is a good thing to me. If I'm noticing it, that tells me there's something wrong/off. Or if the next day my legs/heels are hurting. Haven't had any pain with the V3s and I'm in my early 30s so no spring chicken with immediate recovery like in my 20s lol. I'm also a thin dude, 6'0, 165, so I don't need that much impact protection compared to people bigger than me.

I don't really notice the boost all that much when I'm playing, which is a good thing to me. If I'm noticing it, that tells me there's something wrong/off. Or if the next day my legs/heels are hurting. Haven't had any pain with the V3s and I'm in my early 30s so no spring chicken with immediate recovery like in my 20s lol. I'm also a thin dude, 6'0, 165, so I don't need that much impact protection compared to people bigger than me.

We're kind of close in stats lol, I'm 32 averaging around 185-190, 5'11". Ever since playing in the Vol 2 I don't have pain the next day like I use to. In my BrandBlack shoes I would wake up sore and it would be hard to walk because of my achilles (and I thought those had good cushioning from the feel of them). With the Vol 2 I love Boost because I don't wake up sore the next day and I haven't had my achilles flare ups. I guess it's more of a mental thing when you're used to cushioning like Zoom or foams feeling "alive" and responding, so when you play in them you think there is something "wrong" because they appear like they would be bouncy and soft from the look and even feel of them.

Last edited:
I like the shoe but they advertise "energy return" which I'm still skeptical about. Anyways they kept my body safe while playing on a sprained mcl so I can't really complain. The translucent outsole get better for you guys on dusty courts after more wears or is it the same? I was slipping when running suicides on one of the nastiest community floors

I like the shoe but they advertise "energy return" which I'm still skeptical about. Anyways they kept my body safe while playing on a sprained mcl so I can't really complain. The translucent outsole get better for you guys on dusty courts after more wears or is it the same? I was slipping when running suicides on one of the nastiest community floors
adidas has been using "energy return" to market/describe Boost for years I don't even read adidas product descriptions anymore, half the time they're incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom