THE OFFICIAL ADIDAS THREAD OF JAMES HARDEN - VOLUME 8 IN LOS ANGELES (CLIPPERS)

Should Vol. 2 have a new thread or keep it here?

• Here

Votes: 56 73.7%
  • New

Votes: 20 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stopped by Champs today, tons of V3s on sale:

Cosmos $100
Reds $80
Supernovas $80
No One Sees the Game Like Me (black/blue) $80
Pioneers (black/red) didn't have a sale tag but there was a red sale tag underneath the shoe so maybe it fell off $80?
Damn man, the "sees the game" just released too.

I'm fine if adidas doesn't put marketing $ behind Harden if it means his shoes don't sell and we get heavily discounted Hardens. They gave him $200M so no matter what we'll be getting V4, V5, V6, etc...
I agree, but I just hope they (designers and whoever) aren't discouraged by the fact they aren't selling well because if they continue to progress Harden can have an amazing line for his career and after.

sees the games are $80!!?!?!?!

Still $160 on ADC. I've been waiting for them to go on discount so I can use my Icon voucher on a larger order.

So pay a guy $200 mill but don’t market him?? The lack of logic baffles me. How do you expect to reaffirm your investment was worthwhile when you’re not marketing him to make the most out of your athlete. Makes zero sense. I’m not saying throw Nike marketing money but there are so many other cost effective methods to advertise. They should have had a 15 second to 30 second tv spot on deck. Have multuple 30-60 second Instagram videos/ads. Get a catchy phrase associated with his current run. Make up storytelling for a limited release drop. It’s like just do something. Anything.
The sad part is they could really use this as a way to get more and more consumers, youth, hoopers onboard to their brand.
Sometimes people make the argument Nike brainwashes people or theyre just a bunch of blind followers but that’s not always true and it’s a scapegoat answer majority of the time. Adidas needs to take accountability. They’re mostly to blame for self inflicted missed opportunities. Its like they really refuse to learn and don’t want to change. It’s now comical to me.

JS”

So pay a guy $200 mill but don’t market him?? The lack of logic baffles me. How do you expect to reaffirm your investment was worthwhile when you’re not marketing him to make the most out of your athlete. Makes zero sense. I’m not saying throw Nike marketing money but there are so many other cost effective methods to advertise. They should have had a 15 second to 30 second tv spot on deck. Have multuple 30-60 second Instagram videos/ads. Get a catchy phrase associated with his current run. Make up storytelling for a limited release drop. It’s like just do something. Anything.
The sad part is they could really use this as a way to get more and more consumers, youth, hoopers onboard to their brand.
Sometimes people make the argument Nike brainwashes people or theyre just a bunch of blind followers but that’s not always true and it’s a scapegoat answer majority of the time. Adidas needs to take accountability. They’re mostly to blame for self inflicted missed opportunities. Its like they really refuse to learn and don’t want to change. It’s now comical to me.

JS”
It was said in jest, chill. TV spot on deck? Not that easy, TV spots are bought weeks if not months in advance.

So what did harden wear tonight while dropping 61

See the top of the previous page (224). I posted some pics. Harden was wearing the same pair vs. the Lakers a few days back. Seems to be a Chinese New Year collaboration with contemporary artist Ren Zhe.

If you look at the main Adidas ig page, it's all running gear and football. No harden 61 being mentioned. They don't even have a picture of the harden 3 on the Adidas hoops ig page

49858294_1185780531598245_8377700162451797922_n.jpg

It was said in jest, chill. TV spot on deck? Not that easy, TV spots are bought weeks if not months in advance.

My comment wasn’t even talking or referring to you in any way. My gripe is with adidas and their marketing, not you. TV spots was only one thing I mentioned. Additionally, my list wasn’t inclusive of all forms of marketing.

JS”

Last edited:
Wasn’t even talking to you. My gripe is with adidas and they’re marketing, not you. TV spots was only one thing I mentioned. My list wasn’t inclusive of all forms of marketing.

JS”
But you responded to my comment about the $200M. Look, we all know adidas doesn't do enough marketing for the basketball division. But if you knew how much money the hoops category brings in vs. Originals, you would understand.

Anyway, surprised adidas ended the mi adidas program. I'm sure it wasn't that popular but still surprising.

think we confirmed the public doesn't enjoy the way harden plays
25 free throw attempts last night lol ridic

i think the 3's are too busy, too much going on, no consistent design.
the 1's were pretty great IMO.

But you responded to my comment about the $200M. Look, we all know adidas doesn't do enough marketing for the basketball division. But if you knew how much money the hoops category brings in vs. Originals, you would understand.

Anyway, surprised adidas ended the mi adidas program. I'm sure it wasn't that popular but still surprising.

Think you might be confused/misunderstanding. I didn’t quote or name you specifically at any point. I’ve started my comments regarding adidas marketing Sunday and it’s now Thursday so my posts aren’t related to you. I’m not arguing with you. Harden makes $200 mil. That’s a fact. I wasn’t responding to you.

General statement:
I’m sure basketball isn’t the money maker originals or running is (basketball isn’t for most brands) but you (generality) would think knowing basketball hasn’t been a huge money generator, the business case for paying a guy $200 mill would have to make financial sense. I would think they would have a plan to either profit from or break even with harden and his deal. I’m not in the deep throws of adidas financials but we as sneaker heads see adidas is very deficient in terms of marketing yet they continue to pump out new signature models and technology in a sport/space that as we know isn’t their cash cow; Even with a limited marketing budget they should do better.

JS”

Think you might be confused/misunderstanding. I didn’t quote or name you specifically at any point. I’ve started my comments regarding adidas marketing Sunday and it’s now Thursday so my posts aren’t related to you. I’m not arguing with you. Harden makes $200 mil. That’s a fact. I wasn’t responding to you.

General statement:
I’m sure basketball isn’t the money maker originals or running is (basketball isn’t for most brands) but you (generality) would think knowing basketball hasn’t been a huge money generator, the business case for paying a guy $200 mill would have to make financial sense. I would think they would have a plan to either profit from or break even with harden and his deal. I’m not in the deep throws of adidas financials but we as sneaker heads see adidas is very deficient in terms of marketing yet they continue to pump out new signature models and technology in a sport/space that as we know isn’t their cash cow; Even with a limited marketing budget they should do better.

JS”
They use him in Originals campaigns and their overall "Sport" campaigns that don't really feature product and are more about "Creativity" so it's not like they're not using him at all. They do makeup stories for different colorways, you just might not have seen them (which is partially adidas' fault for not getting the message out better).

I agree they should do better but as someone who has worked with adidas and knows some of the inner-workings, I'm trying to temper your expectations for basketball marketing. It's just not gonna happen at the level you described earlier.

They use him in Originals campaigns and their overall "Sport" campaigns that don't really feature product and are more about "Creativity" so it's not like they're not using him at all. They do makeup stories for different colorways, you just might not have seen them (which is partially adidas' fault for not getting the message out better).

I agree they should do better but as someone who has worked with adidas and knows some of the inner-workings, I'm trying to temper your expectations for basketball marketing. It's just not gonna happen at the level you described earlier.
You are forgetting one very important part in using him in marketing ........

NOBODY likes him lol

Thanks for the insight especially with your background working with adidas. I see the storytelling in quite a few of the models. Just in times like these with the run he’s on, the business side of me says you have to capitalize on this. Grab consumers who aren’t basketball people or have a sneaker for nostalgic purposes to fans of the sport/sneakers. I personally would think you could make a business case to either bump your marketing budget just a bit for moments like this because the extra spend will pay off in the end.

A question (if you can share), where does basketball stand categorically in terms of product creativity, risk or pushing new technology / testing?

JS”

You are forgetting one very important part in using him in marketing ........

NOBODY likes him lol
Lol, he's tenth overall and fourth among guards: http://www.nba.com/article/2019/01/17/all-star-voting-2019-third-returns-official-release

Thanks for the insight especially with your background working with adidas. I see the storytelling in quite a few of the models. Just in times like these with the run he’s on, the business side of me says you have to capitalize on this. Grab consumers who aren’t basketball people or have a sneaker for nostalgic purposes to fans of the sport/sneakers. I personally would think you could make a business case to either bump your marketing budget just a bit for moments like this because the extra spend will pay off in the end.

A question (if you can share), where does basketball stand categorically in terms of product creativity, risk or pushing new technology / testing?

JS”
The @adidasHoops account on Twitter does a lot of RTs and stuff for when he has big games but it has very little visibility to the masses. The basketball division's marketing budget is minuscule compared to Originals so promoting anything with $ is not really a possibility. Plus promoting content takes time, you need to plan and execute and it's a long process, there isn't a switch you can just flip.

In regards to your question, I'll be honest and say I didn't have much exposure to product insight. I do know that a laceless shoe was in development for the V2 but for whatever reason was delayed until the N3XT L3V3L that released late 2018. They also debuted Lightstrike on the N3XT L3V3L (I hate typing that out) so adiHoops got to debut two new technologies/innovations. I would say innovation is there, especially with the Brooklyn Creator Farm appearing to lean towards designing hoops and Originals shoes, but the education/spreading awareness of the technologies to the masses just isn't there because of the limited marketing budget.

wtf?! serious? miadidas is done? now i'm even more pissed at myself!!! should have gone with Mi with the harden 3 and dame 4 when i had the chance, stupid me!!!

Yes, and ADC released those like two weeks ago with ZERO explanation :lol:

I figured out the HRLM part easily enough, but being as it was like...late December (?) I wasn't thinking about black history month, so I had no clude what "cBc" was. It is "celebrating black culture." I passed because I preferred the black/grey/blues.

So I know people love the Vol3, and I haven’t played in them....

I just can’t get enough of the Vol 2 man. Just got my Black Red Pioneers in and man these shoes are just amazing. This is my 2nd pair and I plan on just selling as many kicks as I can while these are still going for 49.99 and there are still my sizes left.

It’s hard to think I’ll just wait around for the Vol 3 to drop to the same prices because I just don’t know if I’ll like the Vol 3 like the Vol 2 since it has less Boost...

kg21 kg21 ...10th overall and 4th in guards with the record setting season he is having and he still isn't close to #1 in guards let alone the league and u are loling at my statement

He is known for travelling, flopping and shooting 20 fts to get his points and his only fans are houston fans. But on the positive side his sig shoe has always been a top performer imo

Back
Top Bottom