THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

84B276DB-92FD-4EF2-83B3-2782802E3002.jpeg

It's more so a thing of selling out. They'll move more of less if that makes sense.

Yeah. But how does a sellout + hype = Nike profits?

In addition, I, myself, am a guy that would gladly buy at least 2 pair of bc3s at retail...however, I'm just as satisfied buy getting zero pairs of jb/Nike makes a hassle out of it.

My opinion is, even though they'll create sellouts by making them limited, they won't create any more market share than they have already...simply because this isn't pre 2012 anymore. Things are different, the consumer is different.

I could be wrong though. We'll see.

One thing that comes along with limited hype is consumer frustration and backlash. I believe that the yeezy/Adidas/boost phenomenon is part yeezy hype, pop culture and part consumer backlash of Nike and their antics.

Last edited:
Does anyone hate how short the stock laces are on the OG reds? I gotta see if the other laces that came with them are longer

i dont think theres anything outdated about this. its supply and demand at its most basic. Nike, Adidas, and a bunch of other brands know how the hype machine works and if anything Nike's pretty much THE footwear company that knows how to do it best. Its a strategy that cant fail as long as you have products people are willing to buy and really want.

The difference is...

Supply and demand can be measured. Hype and its effect on the bottom line can't be measured.

Even in terms of supply and demand as it relates to this recent release of this 103 am1 anniversary... Supply has still been exceeded by demand even though they were mass produced. Right?

So how can the argument be made to decrease the supply of the am1 anniversary in hopes to create hype and increase sales? You're already selling everything you make anyway (as it relates to this release)

Especially because Nike (more than ever) had a responsibility to please it's stakeholders.

Last edited:
My kid is due in 2-3 weeks and I just checked. I have 2c, 6c, and 11c. Need a 4c and an 8c and they'll be set for 4-5 years haha.

Nice! Kid's going to be fresh for a while. Congrats on the addition to the family!

youtherealmvp.gif

Just got my 103s in today. Question to those that have them already, did you change out the laces to the softer, extra pair they came with or did y'all leave the glossier pair they came pre-laced with?

I know there was some commentary on this a few pages ago and someone said the glossier was more like the original, but I've gotta say I prefer the look of the extra set better.

Toe shape looks good on my 103s from SNS. Definitely soft though, can see major creases on these in the near future

Just got my 103s in today. Question to those that have them already, did you change out the laces to the softer, extra pair they came with or did y'all leave the glossier pair they came pre-laced with?

I know there was some commentary on this a few pages ago and someone said the glossier was more like the original, but I've gotta say I prefer the look of the extra set better.
Yeah I left mine

In addition, I, myself, am a guy that would gladly buy at least 2 pair of bc3s at retail...however, I'm just as satisfied buy getting zero pairs of jb/Nike makes a hassle out of it.

My opinion is, even though they'll create sellouts by making them limited, they won't create any more market share than they have already...simply because this isn't pre 2012 anymore. Things are different, the consumer is different.

One thing that comes along with limited hype is consumer frustration and backlash. I believe that the yeezy/Adidas/boost phenomenon is part yeezy hype, pop culture and part consumer backlash of Nike and their antics.

All great points.

Nike and amazon will begin their partnership next year to hit their 50 billion goal...they’re strategy is take adidas consumers back to Jordan and NSW by creating the hype around their brand again.

I don’t think it’ll work cause we’ve been conditioned the past couple years to be patient.

I, for one, move on if I can’t get a retail or on disco

All great points.

Nike and amazon will begin their partnership next year to hit their 50 billion goal...they’re strategy is take adidas consumers back to Jordan and NSW by creating the hype around their brand again.

I don’t think it’ll work cause we’ve been conditioned the past couple years to be patient.

I, for one, move on if I can’t get a retail or on disco

I agree ed. Even with the most loved kicks by Nike/JB, I, like you, will flashy no look pass if they make it a hassle.

Disagree with the last part. Most people like exclusive stuff. JB gave in to the cries and started mass producing while Adidas went small batch. Many people that cried about not being able to get Jordans before didn't want them when they sat on the shelf for weeks. In terms of brand image, it hurt JB and helped Adidas. It seems like JB realizes that and is reversing course. Basically JB gave the people what they wanted but in the end the people didn't really want that. There's a fine line in the amount a company produces. Nike nailed it with the 103s. Enough that everyone that wanted them could get them but not enough that every site has then on discount 2 months after the release. This release was a perfect balance. It's hard to hit that number correctly every release though. For the brand image, they need to error on the low side and stop having so many sit and hit discount.

Off topic, but damn Hugh Hefner passed away

And on the subject of BC3s ... I don’t have the strength to pass on them, regardless of hassle. I needz dem

Disagree with the last part. Most people like exclusive stuff. JB gave in to the cries and started mass producing while Adidas went small batch. Many people that cried about not being able to get Jordans before didn't want them when they sat on the shelf for weeks. In terms of brand image, it hurt JB and helped Adidas. It seems like JB realizes that and is reversing course. Basically JB gave the people what they wanted but in the end the people didn't really want that. There's a fine line in the amount a company produces. Nike nailed it with the 103s. Enough that everyone that wanted them could get them but not enough that every site has then on discount 2 months after the release. This release was a perfect balance. It's hard to hit that number correctly every release though. For the brand image, they need to error on the low side and stop having so many sit and hit discount.

You're right, most people do like exclusive stuff. But in the same breath, most people hate missing out of exclusive stuff consistently release after release.

That when the backlash comes in.

if Nike/JB wants real answers, it should look within. The cockiness of releasing a retro+ Jordan in the same numbers as a black cement 3 is just silly. Figuring out a number that works for each repeat and doubling back with a restock if needed isn't a hard thing to do.

But instead they counter with limited release and hype? It's just my opinion, but I don't think folks are going to fall for it this time. As stated before, I could be wrong...but as for me, it's either an easy cop at retail or bargain basement, or...they've list my business for that release. Simple.

Hype it's over started and not measurable when it comes to its effect on the bottom line.

In a recent article, a head honcho at Adidas stated it plain and simple. "Hype was good for brand awareness, but not good on the bottom line."

Last edited:
For the 100 vs 103 shape discussion:

The mudguard on the 100 / 101 (and the tonal pack) have a height of 2,5cm (1") the 103 have a height of 2,0cm(0,78").
Therefore the march release has the better (because heigher mudguard) shape.

Im wondering what makes you believe that higher mudguard means better shoe (or that 100/101 better than 103). if i take a look at the height of the lateral mudguard back in 86-87 i would say that 103 is a closer version of the original one exactly because mudguard isn't necessarily supposed to be that fat like on 101.

I think some of it is the exclusivity feeding the thirst. If 50 people are in room with the same ****s on, the 51st person is not going to feel special. However, if you switch it back, and the 51st person who walked in has something similar, but say, red with a slim profile, the other 50 will feel behind in a sense. The 51st person happened to be wearing something with 3 stripes. Jb wants the 52nd person to be wearing their stuff, and 53 to feel special about finding them somewhere and copping. I seems as if nike did this air max release for coverage, instead of 100 million nmds and boost being seen everywhere, they wanted some of that coverage, and are getting it. It sold, they saw the thirst, and made a well thought out bet.

I think some of it is the exclusivity feeding the thirst. If 50 people are in room with the same ****s on, the 51st person is not going to feel special. However, if you switch it back, and the 51st person who walked in has something similar, but say, red with a slim profile, the other 50 will feel behind in a sense. The 51st person happened to be wearing something with 3 stripes. Jb wants the 52nd person to be wearing their stuff, and 53 to feel special about finding them somewhere and copping. I seems as if nike did this air max release for coverage, instead of 100 million nmds and boost being seen everywhere, they wanted some of that coverage, and are getting it. It sold, they saw the thirst, and made a well thought out bet.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Anybody wanna give info on whats the difference in the 100 , 101 and 103 and what's the point of the numbers? my bad if I'm late...don't shoot me

Anybody wanna give info on whats the difference in the 100 , 101 and 103 and what's the point of the numbers? my bad if I'm late...don't shoot me
It's the style code of the sneaker dude
Nike air max 1 30th anniversary
908375-100 March og red
908375-101 March og blue
908375-102 restock og blue october
908375-103 restock og red september

103s came in. slight defects...small wrinkle on the mud guard but since i am going to be wearing them a lot it doesn't really bother me. These have made me a definite for the blues thats for sure.

Some great points being made in here about the JB vs Adidas argument. I agree with everything that has been said. Right now i feel like the sneaker "bubble" is really full. So the fight seems to be who can sell more but almost more importantly who can capture more market share of a shrinking market. So that changes the strategy a little for these brands in that they are trying to get people to like them over another brand. You go from "how do we get person A to buy more shoes" to "how do we get person A to buy JB over Adidas".

Back
Top Bottom