THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

Today:
AirBrush_20190314080027.jpg

To this day, I wonder why Virgil didn't do an Air max 1, especially after how the 90's were beautifully done. Second, I'd have to say I'd still to this day like to see Ronnie Fieg take a crack at it.

Not for nothing, I wouldn’t want that OW collaboration coming to the AM1, I’m glad it didn’t happen and I hope it doesn’t.

Part of me felt the collaboration was a marketing scheme to make buyers aware of the other shoes Nike offers. If not that, just bring more light to them.

Many posts in the OW thread and twitter where I saw people questioning what size to get because they’ve never owned that shoe before. Granted, it’s a sizing question but goes to show, people who didn’t know/cared about the AM90 ( for example) still wouldn’t had it not been for the collaboration.

I think the AM1 department is just doing fine without that. Had the Atmos Animal release last March, followed by Parra’s in June and now these AM Susan’s.

All I’m saying is, keep that deconstructive stuff for other silhouettes or people who want to do it on their bespokes (if that at all is an option lol)

To this day, I wonder why Virgil didn't do an Air max 1, especially after how the 90's were beautifully done. Second, I'd have to say I'd still to this day like to see Ronnie Fieg take a crack at it.
Virgil did a 90 and a 97. He didn't ignore Air Max he just chose other silos so I get that. As for Fieg, yea me too. He seems to prefer pulling obscure stuff out of the vault though. Although he's done some UB so he works with new stuff too.

Stash or Futura > Virgil or Fieg if we’re playing “name whom you’d want to collab on an 87”
I'd hope Stash would do something last year when the Spiridons came out, but that wasn't the case. Futura I'd love to see as well but I'd prefer him touch a 95.

Virgil did a 90 and a 97. He didn't ignore Air Max he just chose other silos so I get that. As for Fieg, yea me too. He seems to prefer pulling obscure stuff out of the vault though. Although he's done some UB so he works with new stuff too.
Yeah I didn't say he ignored air max, I loved the 90's he did, I wasn't a fan of the 97s, but I'd have loved to have seen a 1.

John Elliot is a current guy that I'd like see do an AM1. The AF1 he did was awesome. He left it classic white on white and just added layers for depth. Turned out nice imo.

Sorry for the late response I haven't been on here for a few days. No I haven't made a pair but I've held 4 different pair. I've seen the quality of the finished product first hand. Seeing them in person is the reason I haven't made a pair.

For context when I was younger I worked part time in a custom car upholstery shop. The shop did everything from tuner civics to vintage ferraris worth millions. The best stuff is still processed the way it was 100+ years ago. With natural oils, natural dyes, slow dried etc. Yes many Italian produces do it this way but also several other parts of Europe. Horween is an example of a company in the US. The stuff that went into the civics is processed with chemicals and fast dried. I'm not saying it's trash just when you have 2 hides side by side you can see the difference. It also makes a difference in durability and how it ages.

The shop sold the pieces of the high quality stuff that were left over. I believe nike is either not using high quality stuff or they are using someones leftover pieces. You could argue that since the nikes are made of a mix a materials and probably won't be worn all that frequently this is okay. Unlike a pair of bespoke dress shoes that are all one material and could be worn to the office several time a week. To me for the price I would want better. That and the fact they have more a factory produced finish than bespoke.

That just my opinion not an attempt to troll anyone as was suggested.
You can't compare suede on a shoe to suede in a ferrari. That's not a fair comparison. When you compare the suede on bespoke to any other suede in the sneaker industry, the bespoke suede is superior. Same with the nubuck. The other materials, ostrich, gator etc etc are all synthetic and/or embossed.

By that comparison bespoke suede is the "ferrari suede" of the sneaker industry.

Is the 1k price tag worth it? That's on each individual to decide.

Last edited:
John Elliot is a current guy that I'd like see do an AM1. The AF1 he did was awesome. He left it classic white on white and just added layers for depth. Turned out nice imo.
I get a lot of wear out of the Vandals he did a while ago.
Big fan of JE french terry too.

Think Tisci would do an interesting AM1.

@FrenchSneakerAdd hmm, that white pair of OW inspired AM1s actually looks pretty good. I'm surprised since the silhouette for this shoe is so low profile you would think that style would looked cluttered. Whoever designed those did a hell of a job.

@modzilla “propped up by a multi million dollar world leader”..... wtf does that even mean. Shoe game srs

LPU: happy to have these in the collection, been after them for a while.
IMG_0983.jpg
IMG_0984.jpg
Great cw and this particular pair also looks to be in good condition.

Recently saw my size on ebay but it had quite a few yellowed glue marks between upper and midsole, so no, I won't take the risk.
Even with a pair looking this good I wouldn't buy immediately, I mean they're already more than 10 years old, and sitting 10 years in a box won't do them any good.

Back
Top Bottom