THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

That post is garbage clickbait. Brands have their calendars planned months and years in advance. Dude's talkin like all of a sudden the shelves will be flooded with something new next week. Denham collab was underrated? It sold out instantly everwhere.

Do yourselves a favor and stop indulging in ignorant content like that.

That post is garbage clickbait. Brands have their calendars planned months and years in advance. Dude's talkin like all of a sudden the shelves will be flooded with something new next week. Denham collab was underrated? It sold out instantly everwhere.

For sure. Sites like highsnobiety cater to people who don’t or are too timid to think for themselves.

I don't think anyone is saying it's a sudden move. If anything, if that's what they are trying to do, its been in play for like 18+ months. Nike has basically grounded the am1 for awhile now. Why? It's something we've talked about as a possibility for a while itt. Dunks didn't just organically become hyped again by themselves. Nike wanted that and made it happen. Are they going to try it with am1? Idk, guess we'll see. A lot of signs are pointing to yes though.

I don't think anyone is saying it's a sudden move. If anything, if that's what they are trying to do, its been in play for like 18+ months. Nike has basically grounded the am1 for awhile now. Why? It's something we've talked about as a possibility for a while itt. Dunks didn't just organically become hyped again by themselves. Nike wanted that and made it happen. Are they going to try it with am1? Idk, guess we'll see. A lot of signs are pointing to yes though.
The post says "the sneaker community is crying out for a new it-sneaker.⁠⁠ " - no the hell we not. We cry about wanting good quality and shape. I also have not seen this supposed grounding of the air max 1. I remember people talking about it here, but nowhere else. In no way was the model taken off the shelf, either. There are fewer releases than we saw in 2017-2020 but they are not gone. Off the top of my head in 2021 we had the whole LV8 leather pack, 2 pairs of clots (3? I feel like there's another that's still trickling out), evolution of icons, restocks of the plethora of 2020 releases. Between 2021 releases and 2020 pairs that stayed in stock or restock, there has always been an air max 1 available for purchase at retail.

My gripe rn isn't about Nike's moves; we already know how powerful their marketing is. Air max and air max day from 2014-2017 crawled so the dunk could walk in 2019 onward. I'm tight about the trash, baseless content churned out by media companies like complex, highsnobiety, hypebeast, etc that gets spread like wildfire. I block most of those pages on IG so they don't appear anywhere on my feed, so when I come across them elsewhere it's a reminder of how awful they are.

The post says "the sneaker community is crying out for a new it-sneaker.⁠⁠ " - no the hell we not. We cry about wanting good quality and shape. I also have not seen this supposed grounding of the air max 1. I remember people talking about it here, but nowhere else. In no way was the model taken off the shelf, either. There are fewer releases than we saw in 2017-2020 but they are not gone. Off the top of my head in 2021 we had the whole LV8 leather pack, 2 pairs of clots (3? I feel like there's another that's still trickling out), evolution of icons, restocks of the plethora of 2020 releases. Between 2021 releases and 2020 pairs that stayed in stock or restock, there has always been an air max 1 available for purchase at retail.

My gripe rn isn't about Nike's moves; we already know how powerful their marketing is. Air max and air max day from 2014-2017 crawled so the dunk could walk in 2019 onward. I'm tight about the trash, baseless content churned out by media companies like complex, highsnobiety, hypebeast, etc that gets spread like wildfire. I block most of those pages on IG so they don't appear anywhere on my feed, so when I come across them elsewhere it's a reminder of how awful they are.
So 6 pairs in 2021, 3 of which were a pack? And like 6-8 in 2020? That's like 12-15 pairs in 18 months.

It's an article to stir conversation, that's all. No reason to be heated over it. This thread has been super slow bc there's no am1 news these days to talk about.

i prefer that the thread to stay slow then rather to see people post useless garbage in here
i gonna try to cop them patta joints as a investment
when they hit 1.5K or higher i gonna dump them online

this is what i call an investment :lol:
this should be easily worth 25000-30000 in a few years

i prefer that the thread to stay slow then rather to see people post useless garbage in here

I posted it for you, Mr. Am1 investor.

So 6 pairs in 2021, 3 of which were a pack? And like 6-8 in 2020? That's like 12-15 pairs in 18 months.

It's an article to stir conversation, that's all. No reason to be heated over it. This thread has been super slow bc there's no am1 news these days to talk about.
At least a dozen pairs in 2020 alone, excluding the presence of nike ID, here's a good roundup if you scroll back: https://sneakernews.com/tag/nike-air-max-1 so at least 20 pairs total in the last 18 months. Still plenty of options. AM1 hasn't gone anywhere.

At least a dozen pairs in 2020 alone, excluding the presence of nike ID, here's a good roundup if you scroll back: https://sneakernews.com/tag/nike-air-max-1 so at least 20 pairs total in the last 18 months. Still plenty of options. AM1 hasn't gone anywhere.
20 pairs in 18 months after like 50+ a year from 2017-2019 is a pretty big slow down. There's currently 2 pairs available on ndc and they've been out for 6 months. There's alsmot 40 am90 for adults right now. There's been a huge shift away from am1 over the last 18 months. That's really not up for debate. Maybe it means nothing and they just wanted to push the am90 after the anniversary like they did the am1 after the 30th anniversary.

Yeah, the Denhams 87s were super underrated. Remember how all of us copped multiple pairs. Some hit on sale too, iirc! :lol:

The terms "underrated" and "overrated" are just annoyingly misused terms. This word 'rating' implies the use of some sort of metric, which is obviously never the case when people use these terms in relation to things like sneakers. It's simply a way for people to say: "I personally like or dislike this shoe, but I'm going to use language that insinuates this opinion is an objective fact shared by the majority, in order to falsely give my opinion validity and relevance."

The terms "underrated" and "overrated" are just annoyingly misused terms. This word 'rating' implies the use of some sort of metric, which is obviously never the case when people use these terms in relation to things like sneakers. It's simply a way for people to say: "I personally like or dislike this shoe, but I'm going to use language that insinuates this opinion is an objective fact shared by the majority, in order to falsely give my opinion validity and relevance."
Werd. Using either term is pure hypebeastery IMO. Pondering how a shoe is "rated" by anyone else is beyond my comprehension. I think "shoe of the year" falls under that umbrella as well.

Otaku Otaku yup, 2017 air max campaign in a nutshell. That's why I don't see the dunk passing the torch to the am1. If anything the dunk rode the wave from the air max 1. Air max 1s were terrible from 2009-2016 with bad shape, colorways, and materials. Then 2016 came with the vote back campaign leading to 2017 and "remastered" shape, retros of OGs, atmos elephants, and promotion with the help from all the top collectors and influencers. Followed by more GRs than ever the next few years. SB dunks were terrible from 2010-2017 with horrible comfort and colorways. Then in 2017 they did the 15 years of SB dunks campaign, with shops raffling old DS pairs if customers purchased any SBs from the store. Staple, diamond, and lobster collabs were rehashed in 2017/18, then we started seeing Virgil Abloh and Travis Scott wear dunks more. We know the rest from there. Jordan 1 buildup from 2013-2015 was the same. If anything it's time for something else.

Werd. Using either term is pure hypebeastery IMO. Pondering how a shoe is "rated" by anyone else is beyond my comprehension. I think "shoe of the year" falls under that umbrella as well.

Otaku Otaku yup, 2017 air max campaign in a nutshell. That's why I don't see the dunk passing the torch to the am1. If anything the dunk rode the wave from the air max 1. Air max 1s were terrible from 2009-2016 with bad shape, colorways, and materials. Then 2016 came with the vote back campaign leading to 2017 and "remastered" shape, retros of OGs, atmos elephants, and promotion with the help from all the top collectors and influencers. Followed by more GRs than ever the next few years. SB dunks were terrible from 2010-2017 with horrible comfort and colorways. Then in 2017 they did the 15 years of SB dunks campaign, with shops raffling old DS pairs if customers purchased any SBs from the store. Staple, diamond, and lobster collabs were rehashed in 2017/18, then we started seeing Virgil Abloh and Travis Scott wear dunks more. We know the rest from there. Jordan 1 buildup from 2013-2015 was the same. If anything it's time for something else.
At some point I would be willing to bet Nike puts more effort into hyping the AF1 again e

White on whites sell themselves but it doesn't hurt to bring attention back to any of these major silhouettes.

I'm guilty of this, especially on pairs like Mica Green bc I think they are fantastic and it seemed like a lot of people were meh about them. And if I'm being super honest, that's probably based on resell value and that's dumb bc resell value is mostly based on production numbers and they probably made a billion Mica Greens.

I'm guilty of this, especially on pairs like Mica Green bc I think they are fantastic and it seemed like a lot of people were meh about them. And if I'm being super honest, that's probably based on resell value and that's dumb bc resell value is mostly based on production numbers and they probably made a billion Mica Greens.
I was just being an a**, of course. Obviously we all have pairs we either like more or less than what seems to be the general consensus. I really like the Mica Greens as well, for example. I'd take them and the 'Sand' colorway (see below) that came around the same time and with the same materials over many other pairs selling for 2, 3, 4 or more times the money. I could probably make list of 25 pairs of AM1s that I think are great and can probably be had for under $150. But, it is just my opinion after all - which, no matter how cool I think I am myself, matters incredibly little in the scheme of things.
Sand.jpg

Last edited:
I was just being an a**, of course. Obviously we all have pairs we either like more or less than what seems to be the general consensus. I really like the Mica Greens as well, for example. I'd take them and the 'Sand' colorway (see below) that came around the same time and with the same materials over many other pairs selling for 2, 3, 4 or more times the money. I could probably make list of 25 pairs of AM1s that I think are great and can probably be had for under $150. But, it is just my opinion after all - which, no matter how cool I think I am myself, matters incredibly little in the scheme of things.
Sand.jpg
Yes! I have those as well and I agree they are great. I'd 100% prefer to wear those over Patta Lucky Green and I have both of them.

Underrated = a pair that is fantastic that most people don't appreciate

Overrated = a pair that was hyped to death that most covet that really isn't that good.

What does that have to do with being a Hypebeast?

I mean, huh huh, it's all subjective... But Hypebeasty?

Imo
Because hypebeasts give a **** about what other people think, or in this case how something is "rated", since they can't think for themselves. What you're describing as underrated is better said as underappreciated. Other people's ratings are just subjective opinions and not something I ever factor into my own judgment of something.

^ agreed with fluid hips fluid hips always saw more 90s, 95s, and now 97s since they came back hard in 2017. And for the old heads, LTDs :rofl:

Sand.jpg

What is the style code on these? not sure why i never picked up.

Back
Top Bottom