The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

I know I’m the resident MHA stan, but it’s really doing #s in Japan, even in the States. As far as I know, Bleach never had a cinematic film that was widely released in the States like MHA.
Neither has one piece or Naruto really. I guess Naruto the last and Boruto has limited releases. Only DBZ really has movies like that in the US.

Bleach was kind of a hit because it pervaded the pop culture realm. Hot topic and Spencer’s etc was the place to go for Bleach memorabilia etc. don’t think MHA has had that effect yet

yea i feel u. this last episode...dude really just charged up on some mha steeze and punched this allpowerful person. thats all it took? hmmmm strike 1.
Yea that made zero sense. They didn’t address her power at all. It messes with your blood pressure. Yet shines can somehow will his blood pressure to not make him dizzy etc.

The show had potential but it’s just not a well written show/manga. Like literally some of the characters yiu establish firehouse 8 and we don’t even get too see any of the characters. It’s just the shinra show.

And this last mini arc was dumb. So fire houses can just murder each other and nothing happens

I completely forgot about MHA when I was thinking of what the big 3 were (some fan I am). :lol:
In my head I was thinking that a "big 3" candidate series has to have a lot of episodes and no major breaks between arcs aside from filler episodes, while also being relatively popular, like how the old big 3 were/are. I would have added MHA to the mix if it fell under the guidelines that I just made up (takes breaks between seasons), but that's why i also added Detective Conan as a choice.
If we do go by popularity, then MHA would most likely be #2, with #3 being a dice roll between Black Clover, Jojo(?), Dr. Stone maybe?, Haikyuu, and Dragonball.
What’s funny is that I’ve always thought about The Big 3 in the context of the most popular manga running right now. I may have been mistaken. If we’re talking about regularly releasing manga with an anime then it’s easily MHA, One Piece and Haikyuu (thanks for reminding me! I want to watch one day).

But yeah if we’re talking about the anime flavor of the week then it’s kind of a different convo for me that I’m less qualified to speak on.

Btw, season 4 JoJo continues to be LIT. Becoming one of my favorite seasons of anime, period. How long was the manga release between the different parts? The author’s growth has been truly incredible

Yea that made zero sense. They didn’t address her power at all. It messes with your blood pressure. Yet shines can somehow will his blood pressure to not make him dizzy etc.

The show had potential but it’s just not a well written show/manga. Like literally some of the characters yiu establish firehouse 8 and we don’t even get too see any of the characters. It’s just the shinra show.

And this last mini arc was dumb. So fire houses can just murder each other and nothing happens

yea its crazy that it felt like they rushed thru this whole mini boss and its the first big fight. he literally just willed himself thru her OP ability as a rookie lol. its still got potential but that was so stereotypical it was cringe. on some the power of friendship/power of having heart kinda stuff

Finished up Yu Yu Hakusho and started Attack on Titan. Very good so far but someone needs to slap some sense in obnoxious Eren. At this point he's a spoiled brat who can't control his temper.

I know I’m the resident MHA stan, but it’s really doing #s in Japan, even in the States. As far as I know, Bleach never had a cinematic film that was widely released in the States like MHA.
To be fair not many anime movies came to theaters here til like 4-5 years ago. What we got pokemon dbz and mha

What’s funny is that I’ve always thought about The Big 3 in the context of the most popular manga running right now. I may have been mistaken. If we’re talking about regularly releasing manga with an anime then it’s easily MHA, One Piece and Haikyuu (thanks for reminding me! I want to watch one day).

But yeah if we’re talking about the anime flavor of the week then it’s kind of a different convo for me that I’m less qualified to speak on.

Btw, season 4 JoJo continues to be LIT. Becoming one of my favorite seasons of anime, period. How long was the manga release between the different parts? The author’s growth has been truly incredible
That's my personal criteria for being considered in the Big 3, and I'm sure it varies from person to person.

As for the different Jojo parts:
  1. Phantom Blood: January 1, 1987 – October 26, 1987
  2. Battle Tendency: November 2, 1987 – March 27, 1989
  3. Stardust Crusaders: March 20, 1989 – April 14, 1992
  4. Diamond is Unbreakable: April 21, 1992 – November 21, 1995
  5. Golden Wind: November 20, 1995 – April 5, 1999
  6. Stone Ocean: January 1, 2000 – April 21, 2003
  7. Steel Ball Run: January 19, 2004 – April 19, 2011
  8. Jojolion: May 19, 2011 – present
Jojo has been going for 32 years. That's crazy. :pimp:
You can definitely see Araki improve as time goes on, And you'll definitely see that in part 5 when you get to it. That's also why some of us in here have been saying that part 7 is gonna be nuts when DPro gets to it in a few years. :lol: :pimp:

The main difference I think that makes part 4 better than 3 especially as far as combat is concerned is that is that in part 4 you can see he’s fully comfortable with how to write confrontations around stands and because he’s comfortable with his stand concept now he was able to get more creative. Part 3 was some growing pains since it was the first time He started using stands and it’s really apparent in some of those early battles he was figuring it out a bit as he went. By the end of part 3 in the Egypt arc you can tell he’s starting to get the hang of stands and get a bit more creative with em (the Darby’s stands, vanilla ice’s cream and DIOs stand). Part 4 he’s fully in stride now. I also think it helps that the story is More grounded compared to “we have 30 days to kill this evil erotic vampire to save my moms life and stop him from ruling the world” lol

I love Golden Wind But part 4 still my favorite part as of now.

The main writing improvement I think he made in part 5 is being able to make you care about Or interested everyone in the main JoJo gang, the part 5 gang has so much personality. I think he did that better than 1-4 for sure.

In case you haven't checked it out yet and need something to watch, Cop Craft is pretty good this season. It feels a bit like Cowboy Bebop mixed with some good ol cop dramas. PLus, the OP is very catchy. :pimp:

Alright, I've been procrastinating at work so figured I'd look deeper into how manga have performed over the past 10 years, using Jump sales as a proxy for success. I focused primarily on those manga that are still popular today, while throwing in the old Big 3 plus Fairy Tail for context. The data I used here began in 2008, so I couldn't look any further back. Anyways, some key takeaways:
  • There are only 6 manga in this list that have spent 50% of their run in the Top 5 ranking since this data started coming out: One Piece, Naruto, Attack on Titan, Haikyu, Kingdom, and My Hero Academia
    • If we exclude those manga whose runs preceded the availability of this data, then the number becomes 3: AOT, Haikyu, and My Hero Academia
  • Of the manga on the list that began in the last 10 years, only three have never reached the Top 5 ranking: Food Wars, One-Punch Man and Black Clover (which hasn't even reached the Top 10 yet after ~3 years in circulation)
  • There are only 7 manga in this list that have had two or more consecutive years in the Top 5 ranking: One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Attack on Titan, Kingdom and My Hero Academia
  • Four of the manga in this list were in the Top 5 in 2018: One Piece (1), My Hero Academia (2), Attack on Titan (3), and Haikyu (5). Slam Dunk somehow took the #4 spot - not sure if there was a spin-off or re-release
  • There are only 4 manga in this list that have reached the #2 spot: Naruto, Attack on Titan, Seven Deadly Sins and My Hero Academia. Of those, only Naruto, AoT and MHA have had more than one consecutive year of Top 5 ranking
  • One Piece has been #1 since 2008
Conclusions
  • Eiichiro Oda is an absolute monster
  • AoT should reasonably be considered in the "Big 3", unless you're a weirdo like me and want to differentiate based on story-length
  • Even if you want to say it's too early to call My Hero Academia one of the Big 3, it has had a meteoric rise and has accomplished feats few others have come close to.
  • Wtf is Kingdom?
  • Black Clover is trash.
Attaching a breakout of some of the stats, a graph, and the raw data:
upload_2019-8-20_16-18-24.png

upload_2019-8-20_16-18-49.png

upload_2019-8-20_16-20-23.png

One Piece has to be on an unprecedented run at this point. Unless I’m just forgetting something super obvious lol like did dragon ball have a run at number one that strong in its prime?

Last edited:
? DB Manga is the #2 most selling manga of all time and it was only active for like 10 years. One Piece has been active for 20+ years and doesnt have twice amount of sales

• Wtf is Kingdom?

Kingdom is fire. One of my favorite series for sure. It's a historical fiction about the warring states period leading to the unification of China. Main character is Shin/Xin who is a slave who wants to become a great general. It's at 611 chapters, will probably end up being over 1000 since we're in the first major campaign of unification.

I feel like the db manga was never that popular.
What about gundam?
When it comes to Manga yeah One piece is above everything. But anime, games merch etc, one piece isn’t touching DBZ or Naruto. And also worldwide of course it’s not even a contest with DBZ.

Aside from DBZ, Gundam Wing was the only anime series that was on the air when I was in elementary school. The only Gundam series that aired were Wing and Endless Waltz though, none of the others. It was really popular as far as I can recall.

Mobile fighter G Gundam was my favorite growing up. I need to rewatch it see if it holds up

Back
Top Bottom