The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

ash.png
My first thought was is that an old Ash sitting next to an old Luffy? :nerd:

But I was like nah Cowboy Bebop came out before both.

Almost finished with the first few seasons of young Naruto. Is his grown up version better?
Not sure if I should continue or go to One Piece.
Naruto kind of stopped moving the story the last season once Sasuke want there anymore.

On the sky island arc... Kinda boring ngl
Skypeia isn’t my favorite arc either.

Out of all the “long” arcs, it’s the one that adds the least to the story in terms of lore and world building - something that I think Oda is the goat at. Your enjoyment of it is gonna down to how much you like enel as the main villain.

Out of all the “long” arcs, it’s the one that adds the least to the story in terms of lore and world building - something that I think Oda is the goat at. Your enjoyment of it is gonna down to how much you like enel as the main villain.

damn.. this is back to being mid-piece then

Almost finished with the first few seasons of young Naruto. Is his grown up version better?
Naruto kind of stopped moving the story the last season once Sasuke want there anymore.
You can stop reading after Sauske beats Naruto and leaves the village.

If you want after that there's the whole finding the next hokage with Jirayai and Naruto that leads to another fight with Orochimaru but nothing big.

After that its a ton of filler before the time skip.

Nothing gets better than the Zabuza/village hidden in the mist arc and the chunin exams.

I'd say get to One Piece as quick as you can.

Nah, theres plenty world building here; we learn most of the ppl in the sky islands are descendants of aliens, Roger came there with his crew, Robin shows her usefulness and the importance of why she joined, etc.

Then we got cool characters like Wyper and Enel.

Last edited:
damn.. this is back to being mid-piece then
Just wait till you get to Water 7 and on…I ain tryna hear no more mid piece talk 😤

Feel free to skim most of the arc after Skypeia (long ring long land) though, it’s basically a filler arc with nothing important happening until the very end 😅

Imo the time skip has the best villains.

1632085444014.png

Prob the best part of Naruto is when they fight the Akatsuki.

you must be an average one piece fan cause my friend told me Skypeia is actually one of the most critical arcs to understand the world/story of one piece :nerd:

The Davy back fight arc is what adds the least to the story.

Davy Back for sure is. I just meant out of the long arcs, like 50+ chapters, in OP it did the least imo.

I’ve never actually gone back to reread that arc so maybe it’ll hit more the second time. :nerd:

you must be an average one piece fan cause my friend told me Skypeia is actually one of the most critical arcs to understand the world/story of one piece :nerd:
Tell your friend to pull up
ezgif-7-d69dd262ae9e.png

Aite bet, gonna give skypeia a second look tonight

Last edited:
the only things that got me into Naruto was,

the young Naruto's silliness. Hinata, Harem Jutsu, Jiraiya, Narutos' back story and Kurama.

Them pre Shippuden fillers were something else, way too many episodes but it was cool seeing the different team combinations among his peers and 3 seniors

Good looking out fellas.
I’m watching HxH as well. Just finished the Greed island arc. Looks like the infamous Ant arc is here.

Last edited:

What? It's the first time we see observation haki, we learn the Birkans, skypeians and Shandians all descended from the moon, that there's more sky islands, Noland, there's a poneglyph there, dials are introduce which upgrades Ussop, the knockup stream is essential to breaking Merry and it's the first introduction that there's more to Merry which is key to the W7 conflict, I'm sure it's gonna tie into Urouge's story.

Skypiea is definitely a slow arc, especially in the anime it's where the pacing slow down to around a chapter or 1.25 per episode or so, it's also the longest of the pre-timeskip arc, but it basically embodies the spirit of the series. Basically if you see OP as an adventure series with fights Skypiea works really well, if you see OP as a standard battle manga, well good luck.

But I've always felt Oda write shorter arcs the best and with long arc he doesn't self edit enough and it can bog down a bit.

What? It's the first time we see observation haki, we learn the Birkans, skypeians and Shandians all descended from the moon, that there's more sky islands, Noland, there's a poneglyph there, dials are introduce which upgrades Ussop, the knockup stream is essential to breaking Merry and it's the first introduction that there's more to Merry which is key to the W7 conflict, I'm sure it's gonna tie into Urouge's story.

Skypiea is definitely a slow arc, especially in the anime it's where the pacing slow down to around a chapter or 1.25 per episode or so, it's also the longest of the pre-timeskip arc, but it basically embodies the spirit of the series. Basically if you see OP as an adventure series with fights Skypiea works really well, if you see OP as a standard battle manga, well good luck.

But I've always felt Oda write shorter arcs the best and with long arc he doesn't self edit enough and it can bog down a bit.
I actually forgot about the Poneglyph showing up in Skypeia 💀. But nah you right, skypeia had a lot that added to the overall world of OP.

Thinking about it more now, I misspoke - i think my main issue with it is it feels a little disconnected from the main arc of pre-timeskip OP. Everything from Alabasta on was slowly building up to Marineford and Skypeia just felt like its own self-contained adventure arc. Its still a lot of fun on its own, but the disconnect is probably why its not one of my favorites.

All this moon stuff and Urogue will eventually tie back in so we'll see...Oda playing the long long game

Yeah, I see OP is an adventure manga first. Battle **** is secondary.
I think even more so post-time skip. In the 2010s Luffy had like two legitimate fights against Doffy and Katakuri? Im not counting hody jones and ceasar cause those were more beat downs than anything :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom