The Official College Thread Vol. Best College Thread Ever!!!!!

University of Texas - Arlington checking in. Second half of my freshman year coming up.
Haven't had much time to fully experience the college lifestyle. Job + school is really demanding.
Learn to balance both, but obviously put an emphasis on your education.

University of Texas - Arlington checking in. Second half of my freshman year coming up.
Haven't had much time to fully experience the college lifestyle. Job + school is really demanding.

Originally Posted by TxRook

How many hours do you work?
I'm about to be in the same boat.

Originally Posted by Hop

While I was in school, my hours fluctuated like crazy at first. One week 15, next week 36.
But then once I got established, I would say that I probably get 33 hours a week. Took a toll on my grades.
This time around I'm not working more than 22 hours a week. I never had time to do anything after classes.
Make your paper in the summer. Leave yourself some time to join a club, make connections, etc. Stuff like that.

Btw, I don't know if it'll apply to your job but when/if they ask you about your availability, don't just put whenever/all-day.
That screwed me over as well. Let them know when you can work.

Originally Posted by Hop

While I was in school, my hours fluctuated like crazy at first. One week 15, next week 36.
But then once I got established, I would say that I probably get 33 hours a week. Took a toll on my grades.
This time around I'm not working more than 22 hours a week. I never had time to do anything after classes.
Make your paper in the summer. Leave yourself some time to join a club, make connections, etc. Stuff like that.

Btw, I don't know if it'll apply to your job but when/if they ask you about your availability, don't just put whenever/all-day.
That screwed me over as well. Let them know when you can work.

Originally Posted by chickencurry4eva

Graduated 3 weeks ago with a BS in Accounting. My advice for those entering college:

- Live in the dorms your freshman year, maybe even sophomore year, depending on how your school is. Junior/Senior year get an apartment, either on campus or as close to campus as possible. University housing is expensive anywhere, but depending on where your school is located, getting an apartment near campus may make the most financial sense. Chances are you'll only be paying 300-600 a month for rent if you have roommates, as opposed to a whole lot more living on campus. Plus the freedom you have living off campus is unlike anything you've ever experienced before, lving with no rules and basically having to answer to no one. Stay on top of your #$@% tho.

-The number one thing that I wish someone told me before I got to college: NEVER STUDY HARD, STUDY SMART. Use every single resource available to you in order to get ahead of the game. Find people in your major who may have taken the class a semester before and get whatever materials they can give you (old tests, study guides, test banks etc.) My philosophy (after having realized this) is that if the professor is stupid enough to give the exact same midterm every semester, or take his exam questions verbatim from the textbook test bank, its my duty to take full advantage of his/her laziness. Figure out the professor's exam style from the moment you get that syllabus. Test banks are important especially in my major (accounting/finance) because chances are your professor will find his exam questions in the textbook test bank. For a few of my hardest accounting classes (advanced accounting, cost accounting, auditing) I didnt even bother buying the textbook, just bought the test bank online and went in on that. I mean, where else do exam questions come from? In essence, your GPA is not indicative of your knowledge of the class or the material, but is indicative of your ability to get your #$@% together. When you apply to grad school, no school is gonna say, "oh, he got a C in that class, but I'm sure he tried hard and took each test honestly." *+$% that #$@%. The only thing that matters is the grade, which is why you must take every possible advantage you can.
I agree with this man right here lol, it's a rat race out here, especially with the way the economy is right now. Leverage your resources well and I'll leave it at that.

Originally Posted by chickencurry4eva

Graduated 3 weeks ago with a BS in Accounting. My advice for those entering college:

- Live in the dorms your freshman year, maybe even sophomore year, depending on how your school is. Junior/Senior year get an apartment, either on campus or as close to campus as possible. University housing is expensive anywhere, but depending on where your school is located, getting an apartment near campus may make the most financial sense. Chances are you'll only be paying 300-600 a month for rent if you have roommates, as opposed to a whole lot more living on campus. Plus the freedom you have living off campus is unlike anything you've ever experienced before, lving with no rules and basically having to answer to no one. Stay on top of your #$@% tho.

-The number one thing that I wish someone told me before I got to college: NEVER STUDY HARD, STUDY SMART. Use every single resource available to you in order to get ahead of the game. Find people in your major who may have taken the class a semester before and get whatever materials they can give you (old tests, study guides, test banks etc.) My philosophy (after having realized this) is that if the professor is stupid enough to give the exact same midterm every semester, or take his exam questions verbatim from the textbook test bank, its my duty to take full advantage of his/her laziness. Figure out the professor's exam style from the moment you get that syllabus. Test banks are important especially in my major (accounting/finance) because chances are your professor will find his exam questions in the textbook test bank. For a few of my hardest accounting classes (advanced accounting, cost accounting, auditing) I didnt even bother buying the textbook, just bought the test bank online and went in on that. I mean, where else do exam questions come from? In essence, your GPA is not indicative of your knowledge of the class or the material, but is indicative of your ability to get your #$@% together. When you apply to grad school, no school is gonna say, "oh, he got a C in that class, but I'm sure he tried hard and took each test honestly." *+$% that #$@%. The only thing that matters is the grade, which is why you must take every possible advantage you can.
I agree with this man right here lol, it's a rat race out here, especially with the way the economy is right now. Leverage your resources well and I'll leave it at that.

St. John's Class of 2015
pimp.gif

I'm going to be at SDSU, majoring in Nursing. How's the college life there? I've heard stories, but I'd like to know wsup before school starts.

I'm going to be at SDSU, majoring in Nursing. How's the college life there? I've heard stories, but I'd like to know wsup before school starts.

Just finished my Freshman year. My tips:

Go to Class. I skipped many days and it reflected in my grades. I would skip classes thinking we werent doing anything that day in class. Wrong. We would have pop quizzes that day.

Study Everyday. Take the time everyday to go over the chapter before the professor goes over it. Then review what you learned during class.

Make friends and be social. The people who did not enjoy their freshman year at my school didnt really have good friends around them.

Go to Class. I skipped many days and it reflected in my grades. I would skip classes thinking we werent doing anything that day in class. Wrong. We would have pop quizzes that day.

Study Everyday. Take the time everyday to go over the chapter before the professor goes over it. Then review what you learned during class.

Make friends and be social. The people who did not enjoy their freshman year at my school didnt really have good friends around them.

tally is overtly racist at times.

be mindful of that.

FSU is a great institution.

great people willing to be helpful every step of the way.

become as social as possible. not only amongst other students, but faculty and staff.

especially in your major and financial aid office.

understand that everyone comes to state with a clean record.

be mindful of that.

become as social as possible. not only amongst other students, but faculty and staff.

Originally Posted by bogusreality

be mindful of that.

not a incoming freshman but im looking to transfer to fsu in spring, mabye get some credits at tcc during the fall semester
im more interested in what tallys like actually, looking for an apartment up there right now.. can u tell me a bit more about it? specifically the party scene.. lol

also u a undergrad or alumni..?

Originally Posted by bogusreality

be mindful of that.

not a incoming freshman but im looking to transfer to fsu in spring, mabye get some credits at tcc during the fall semester
im more interested in what tallys like actually, looking for an apartment up there right now.. can u tell me a bit more about it? specifically the party scene.. lol

also u a undergrad or alumni..?

Originally Posted by youngmoney15

some of this
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif
so many wasted days going to class days tho.

youngmoney15 wrote:

all of that.
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom