The Official College Thread Vol. Best College Thread Ever!!!!!

boutta go to a CC

frown.gif

Hopefully I can transfer after a year

SUNY Albany anyone?

And can anyone hook me up with a list of essentials to bring in the fall?

SUNY Albany anyone?

Originally Posted by HighHeat05

I attend Ohio State on a full-academic scholarship.
-Whatever classes you take, do not feel intimidated. Here, a majority chemistry classes are made out to be more difficult than they need to be so most students will become flustered and switch majors. If you receive a bad grade, just sit back and realize it's not the end of the world.
-Some say do what you love, but the truth is doing what "I" love would not put food on the table and pay bills. I'm a biology major with aspirations of attending medical school, yet the possiblity of nurse anesthesia is growing more and more likely.
-You will meet plenty of girls your freshman year if you are down-to-earth and generally fun to be around. Get a few older hookups that will provide you with admission/invites to parties, your heard of freshman girls will follow you to each and every one. During this year, I decided to join a fraternity and the major upside along with community service, networking, and friendship has to be sorority girls. There is just nothing like a tan and rich trust fund baby.
-Get on a solid routine. Meet a cat who knows a lot about fitness/nutrition, go to the gym with him and take notes on what he has to say. Looking good and feeling better will pay off.
-I'm a firm believer in the work hard/play hard mentality. During the day it's all about drilling in the library, office hours, gym, and getting solid meals in, but having fun at night relieves a ton of stress and helps me stay relaxed throughout the week.
-Don't be the kid who gets wrapped up in playing too many video games throughout the course of your day. The potential of college being the time of your life is in your hands, so spend your time wisely. Try to stay away from getting a girlfriend if you are an underclassman unless you know she's the one. Believe me, dimes are abundant at any large school (especially down south), and you never know when different opporunities may arise.
-Try to be kind to everyone. That insanely smart yet weird kid down the hall can come in handy during finals time. That's all I have for now. I've been reading NT for awhile now but have yet to post. Most of advice was gathered through trial and error. Have fun.
1) Any teachers you had a bad experience with that I should avoid scheduling? I will be a biology major @ OSU too.
2) How's that RPAC? Went on a tour like two years ago, but haven't bothered checking it out since.
3) Do you like being in a fraternity? Any benefits besides access to more women? Heard Greek life wasn't that great at OSU. Wasn't planning on joining but was interested on your insight.
4) Cheapest food to eat near North Campus? Gonna be living in a Scholars dorm there.

Originally Posted by HighHeat05

I attend Ohio State on a full-academic scholarship.
-Whatever classes you take, do not feel intimidated. Here, a majority chemistry classes are made out to be more difficult than they need to be so most students will become flustered and switch majors. If you receive a bad grade, just sit back and realize it's not the end of the world.
-Some say do what you love, but the truth is doing what "I" love would not put food on the table and pay bills. I'm a biology major with aspirations of attending medical school, yet the possiblity of nurse anesthesia is growing more and more likely.
-You will meet plenty of girls your freshman year if you are down-to-earth and generally fun to be around. Get a few older hookups that will provide you with admission/invites to parties, your heard of freshman girls will follow you to each and every one. During this year, I decided to join a fraternity and the major upside along with community service, networking, and friendship has to be sorority girls. There is just nothing like a tan and rich trust fund baby.
-Get on a solid routine. Meet a cat who knows a lot about fitness/nutrition, go to the gym with him and take notes on what he has to say. Looking good and feeling better will pay off.
-I'm a firm believer in the work hard/play hard mentality. During the day it's all about drilling in the library, office hours, gym, and getting solid meals in, but having fun at night relieves a ton of stress and helps me stay relaxed throughout the week.
-Don't be the kid who gets wrapped up in playing too many video games throughout the course of your day. The potential of college being the time of your life is in your hands, so spend your time wisely. Try to stay away from getting a girlfriend if you are an underclassman unless you know she's the one. Believe me, dimes are abundant at any large school (especially down south), and you never know when different opporunities may arise.
-Try to be kind to everyone. That insanely smart yet weird kid down the hall can come in handy during finals time. That's all I have for now. I've been reading NT for awhile now but have yet to post. Most of advice was gathered through trial and error. Have fun.
1) Any teachers you had a bad experience with that I should avoid scheduling? I will be a biology major @ OSU too.
2) How's that RPAC? Went on a tour like two years ago, but haven't bothered checking it out since.
3) Do you like being in a fraternity? Any benefits besides access to more women? Heard Greek life wasn't that great at OSU. Wasn't planning on joining but was interested on your insight.
4) Cheapest food to eat near North Campus? Gonna be living in a Scholars dorm there.

Originally Posted by Boi

boutta go to a CC

frown.gif

Get at least a 3.5 and you'll be good. Do not mess up at all.
SUNY Albany anyone?

A ton of NTers go/went to Albany.

Essentials:
-Laptop
-Printer. Not having to go to the library/computer lab every time you need to print a report is clutch and a huge time saver.
-Insurance card. It'll come in handy when you least expect it, trust me.
-Copy of birth certificate. If you want to look for a work-study job you need this to register with the university.
-Extra linens. Having one set of sheets and towels is nasty especially if you don't wash your clothes regularly like some people in college do.
-Mini-fridge/microwave. Your school might have an option to rent one though so check with them first. I definitely would have done that had I known before hand.
-Condoms. No brainer if your sexually active.
-Chase account.
laugh.gif
I'm not trying to promote a bank but they are everywhere compared to other banks. Depending on where you go to school, your bank might not service that area or state in some cases. You don't want to have to pay a fee every time you go to the ATM. The charges aren't big but they add up and before you know it, they'll eat through your checking account.
-Calendar. Everyone doesn't need this but if you have trouble keeping track of when assignments are due, this is for you.

There are more but that was off the top of the head.

I didn't list food/drink as an essential because you can always stop at a Wal-Mart and pick that stuff up when your parents bring you up to school. A TV isn't an essential because most of the time you won't be watching it. I barely watched television my senior year plus most shows are online now. Its not a bad idea to get one though especially when you have periods of awful weather and you don't want to study and be on the computer all day.

A few tips for when you go to parties:
-Drink from your own cups. Don't let anyone drink from your cup. You don't know what anyone has. College kids are dirty. You might end up with herpes or mono. Some kid in my SPM class sophomore got put out of commission for the entire semester because he came down with mono.
-Don't leave it unattended. If you do, get a new cup. Someone might slip something in your drink; happens to women more than it happens to men. .

Originally Posted by Boi

boutta go to a CC

frown.gif

Get at least a 3.5 and you'll be good. Do not mess up at all.
SUNY Albany anyone?

A ton of NTers go/went to Albany.

Essentials:
-Laptop
-Printer. Not having to go to the library/computer lab every time you need to print a report is clutch and a huge time saver.
-Insurance card. It'll come in handy when you least expect it, trust me.
-Copy of birth certificate. If you want to look for a work-study job you need this to register with the university.
-Extra linens. Having one set of sheets and towels is nasty especially if you don't wash your clothes regularly like some people in college do.
-Mini-fridge/microwave. Your school might have an option to rent one though so check with them first. I definitely would have done that had I known before hand.
-Condoms. No brainer if your sexually active.
-Chase account.
laugh.gif
I'm not trying to promote a bank but they are everywhere compared to other banks. Depending on where you go to school, your bank might not service that area or state in some cases. You don't want to have to pay a fee every time you go to the ATM. The charges aren't big but they add up and before you know it, they'll eat through your checking account.
-Calendar. Everyone doesn't need this but if you have trouble keeping track of when assignments are due, this is for you.

There are more but that was off the top of the head.

I didn't list food/drink as an essential because you can always stop at a Wal-Mart and pick that stuff up when your parents bring you up to school. A TV isn't an essential because most of the time you won't be watching it. I barely watched television my senior year plus most shows are online now. Its not a bad idea to get one though especially when you have periods of awful weather and you don't want to study and be on the computer all day.

A few tips for when you go to parties:
-Drink from your own cups. Don't let anyone drink from your cup. You don't know what anyone has. College kids are dirty. You might end up with herpes or mono. Some kid in my SPM class sophomore got put out of commission for the entire semester because he came down with mono.
-Don't leave it unattended. If you do, get a new cup. Someone might slip something in your drink; happens to women more than it happens to men. .

I need some advice from my NT brethren...

• I'm registering for my Fall 2011 classes
  • I have to take a class called HPE 200 Quality of Life
  • The problem is that there are only three classes of this course
  • two are online and one is a Mon-Wed-Fri class
  • I don't want any Mon-Wed-Fri classes and I never had an online class before
Can someone explain exactly what this course is, and should I take it online???

Thanks
happy.gif
happy.gif
nerd.gif

Thanks
happy.gif
happy.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Two Zero Five

Probably will help you just in life...How to plan ur day etc etc...

I love online classes, and take 2 a semester...You just need to remember to check it on the day when everything is due (Lots of times this will be Sunday night)

I like it because it saves me a lot of free time and I don't need to waste time in class. Just be good about checking ur email/ blackboard.

Originally Posted by Two Zero Five

Probably will help you just in life...How to plan ur day etc etc...

I love online classes, and take 2 a semester...You just need to remember to check it on the day when everything is due (Lots of times this will be Sunday night)

I like it because it saves me a lot of free time and I don't need to waste time in class. Just be good about checking ur email/ blackboard.

i just finished my freshman year and i have to say it was a great experience. i was a bit nervous about everything during the first few days but if you let it, college will really change your life and introduce you to some people you'd never expect to meet. campus life is crazy. i wish everyone was able to experience college at at least one point in their life.

i just finished my freshman year and i have to say it was a great experience. i was a bit nervous about everything during the first few days but if you let it, college will really change your life and introduce you to some people you'd never expect to meet. campus life is crazy. i wish everyone was able to experience college at at least one point in their life.

if anyone is an engineer, hit me up with questions..

life as an engineer is drastically different from most other majors, if you're an engineer i wouldn't be taking some of this advice like "Party as much as possible" "just show up to class and you'll get a B" nonsense

if anyone is an engineer, hit me up with questions..

life as an engineer is drastically different from most other majors, if you're an engineer i wouldn't be taking some of this advice like "Party as much as possible" "just show up to class and you'll get a B" nonsense

Graduated 3 weeks ago with a BS in Accounting. My advice for those entering college:

- Live in the dorms your freshman year, maybe even sophomore year, depending on how your school is. Junior/Senior year get an apartment, either on campus or as close to campus as possible. University housing is expensive anywhere, but depending on where your school is located, getting an apartment near campus may make the most financial sense. Chances are you'll only be paying 300-600 a month for rent if you have roommates, as opposed to a whole lot more living on campus. Plus the freedom you have living off campus is unlike anything you've ever experienced before, lving with no rules and basically having to answer to no one. Stay on top of your #$@% tho.

-The number one thing that I wish someone told me before I got to college: NEVER STUDY HARD, STUDY SMART. Use every single resource available to you in order to get ahead of the game. Find people in your major who may have taken the class a semester before and get whatever materials they can give you (old tests, study guides, test banks etc.) My philosophy (after having realized this) is that if the professor is stupid enough to give the exact same midterm every semester, or take his exam questions verbatim from the textbook test bank, its my duty to take full advantage of his/her laziness. Figure out the professor's exam style from the moment you get that syllabus. Test banks are important especially in my major (accounting/finance) because chances are your professor will find his exam questions in the textbook test bank. For a few of my hardest accounting classes (advanced accounting, cost accounting, auditing) I didnt even bother buying the textbook, just bought the test bank online and went in on that. I mean, where else do exam questions come from? In essence, your GPA is not indicative of your knowledge of the class or the material, but is indicative of your ability to get your #$@% together. When you apply to grad school, no school is gonna say, "oh, he got a C in that class, but I'm sure he tried hard and took each test honestly." *+$% that #$@%. The only thing that matters is the grade, which is why you must take every possible advantage you can.

Graduated 3 weeks ago with a BS in Accounting. My advice for those entering college:

- Live in the dorms your freshman year, maybe even sophomore year, depending on how your school is. Junior/Senior year get an apartment, either on campus or as close to campus as possible. University housing is expensive anywhere, but depending on where your school is located, getting an apartment near campus may make the most financial sense. Chances are you'll only be paying 300-600 a month for rent if you have roommates, as opposed to a whole lot more living on campus. Plus the freedom you have living off campus is unlike anything you've ever experienced before, lving with no rules and basically having to answer to no one. Stay on top of your #$@% tho.

-The number one thing that I wish someone told me before I got to college: NEVER STUDY HARD, STUDY SMART. Use every single resource available to you in order to get ahead of the game. Find people in your major who may have taken the class a semester before and get whatever materials they can give you (old tests, study guides, test banks etc.) My philosophy (after having realized this) is that if the professor is stupid enough to give the exact same midterm every semester, or take his exam questions verbatim from the textbook test bank, its my duty to take full advantage of his/her laziness. Figure out the professor's exam style from the moment you get that syllabus. Test banks are important especially in my major (accounting/finance) because chances are your professor will find his exam questions in the textbook test bank. For a few of my hardest accounting classes (advanced accounting, cost accounting, auditing) I didnt even bother buying the textbook, just bought the test bank online and went in on that. I mean, where else do exam questions come from? In essence, your GPA is not indicative of your knowledge of the class or the material, but is indicative of your ability to get your #$@% together. When you apply to grad school, no school is gonna say, "oh, he got a C in that class, but I'm sure he tried hard and took each test honestly." *+$% that #$@%. The only thing that matters is the grade, which is why you must take every possible advantage you can.

any one from georgewashington or macalaster?
any one in international universities?
would love any pointers with those schools!

any one from georgewashington or macalaster?
any one in international universities?
would love any pointers with those schools!

Back
Top Bottom