The Official Guide to Launching a SUCCESSFUL blog/brand online (Vol. add YOUR feedback)

Hey NT... i dont post too often but Im here reading everyday. This post may be sorta long but I think it'll be helpful! Read on...
CLIFFNOTES: These are some ways I plan to promote my blog and Im looking for other ways as well. Add you advice/ experiences!

In a week im launching a blog and i thought it would be cool it i shared my progress with NT and at the same time we make a guide off effective ways of marketing, etc. I have a pretty good knowledge of online marketing and im sure some people here do as well. What I hope this thread will do is show ways to get more visitors to a website, more followers, more "likes" to a FB fan page etc...

I also am gonna show some sites that Im using to help me. Please share your feedback and questions.

Ok so lets start with myself. In a week, Im launching a blog. The blog will be a personal blog where I post things that I find inspirational, interesting, newsworthy, and some funny things as well. My blog is NOT a news site so I wont have the latest gossip or new music releases. I want to attract a crowd of people similar to myself who enjoy using the internet to gain knowledge. Some examples are : the wikileaks documentary, a story on Ted Williams (golden voice), The Facebook Obsession Documentary,The Evo Shift, the recent rash of mass animals dying, the Mike Tyson documentary that was posted on NT a few weeks back, etc...  So hopefully you see where im going with my content..

So to create my blog, im using wordpress (self-hosted). What that means is that im not using "wordpress.com" but rather, I purchased a domain name, hosting, and run the WordPress platform on my own site. I have a nice amount of plugins that I use that help with SEO and also add functionality to the site. (Anyone want more info on that, write on the thread or PM me).

I also have my personal twitter page that will be updated regularly. And I also have a fb fan page and youtube channel.

So how to grow the site

Here are some things I am either doing currently or plan to do..

1) FB Fan Page

First and foremost, I wanted to create a very attractive fan page. I did NOT want a basic fan page. So I begin to research how celebrity pages look the way they do. What I came across was a code called "fbml" which facebook has created.. Most popular brands utilize this to create their pages. Some examples are as follows : Coca-Cola , Starbucks, and Victoria Secret . So after research i discovered that the code was over my head and I  didnt feel like taking the time to learn it lol... I was pissed until i came across this.

http://www.wix.com/create/website_fb_ads

Wix offeres facebook templates now. These are sweet and easy to make.There are some limitations... at the moment, you cant get rid of the the wix ads.. smh.. but they say that will change in the future. My goal w/ the fan page was to make it attractive obvisouly but to also include links to my other social networking sites as well as the blog itself. I want the fanpage to be interactive w/ videos and audio and also an RSS of the blog itself.

Promoting the blog is the question. I havent started yet but I will start by inviting all of my friends at once. I will send my closest friends and family a PERSONAL fb message or text message telling them about the site and how i need their help. I will have them make statuses w/ a link to the page.. and also have them invite their friends. Also on the homepage of the FB fan page, im creating a video with a welcome message and detailing the blogs BIG GOAL, which will be to reach a certain amount of "likes" in the 1st 30 days... (what should it be?? advice needed)

Consider this part 1.. im tired right now but will add more info about wordpress site creation, templates, plugins, etc.. in the meantime, ad some ideas/thoughts

Hey NT... i dont post too often but Im here reading everyday. This post may be sorta long but I think it'll be helpful! Read on...
CLIFFNOTES: These are some ways I plan to promote my blog and Im looking for other ways as well. Add you advice/ experiences!

In a week im launching a blog and i thought it would be cool it i shared my progress with NT and at the same time we make a guide off effective ways of marketing, etc. I have a pretty good knowledge of online marketing and im sure some people here do as well. What I hope this thread will do is show ways to get more visitors to a website, more followers, more "likes" to a FB fan page etc...

I also am gonna show some sites that Im using to help me. Please share your feedback and questions.

Ok so lets start with myself. In a week, Im launching a blog. The blog will be a personal blog where I post things that I find inspirational, interesting, newsworthy, and some funny things as well. My blog is NOT a news site so I wont have the latest gossip or new music releases. I want to attract a crowd of people similar to myself who enjoy using the internet to gain knowledge. Some examples are : the wikileaks documentary, a story on Ted Williams (golden voice), The Facebook Obsession Documentary,The Evo Shift, the recent rash of mass animals dying, the Mike Tyson documentary that was posted on NT a few weeks back, etc...  So hopefully you see where im going with my content..

So to create my blog, im using wordpress (self-hosted). What that means is that im not using "wordpress.com" but rather, I purchased a domain name, hosting, and run the WordPress platform on my own site. I have a nice amount of plugins that I use that help with SEO and also add functionality to the site. (Anyone want more info on that, write on the thread or PM me).

I also have my personal twitter page that will be updated regularly. And I also have a fb fan page and youtube channel.

So how to grow the site

Here are some things I am either doing currently or plan to do..

1) FB Fan Page

First and foremost, I wanted to create a very attractive fan page. I did NOT want a basic fan page. So I begin to research how celebrity pages look the way they do. What I came across was a code called "fbml" which facebook has created.. Most popular brands utilize this to create their pages. Some examples are as follows : Coca-Cola , Starbucks, and Victoria Secret . So after research i discovered that the code was over my head and I  didnt feel like taking the time to learn it lol... I was pissed until i came across this.

http://www.wix.com/create/website_fb_ads

Wix offeres facebook templates now. These are sweet and easy to make.There are some limitations... at the moment, you cant get rid of the the wix ads.. smh.. but they say that will change in the future. My goal w/ the fan page was to make it attractive obvisouly but to also include links to my other social networking sites as well as the blog itself. I want the fanpage to be interactive w/ videos and audio and also an RSS of the blog itself.

Promoting the blog is the question. I havent started yet but I will start by inviting all of my friends at once. I will send my closest friends and family a PERSONAL fb message or text message telling them about the site and how i need their help. I will have them make statuses w/ a link to the page.. and also have them invite their friends. Also on the homepage of the FB fan page, im creating a video with a welcome message and detailing the blogs BIG GOAL, which will be to reach a certain amount of "likes" in the 1st 30 days... (what should it be?? advice needed)

Consider this part 1.. im tired right now but will add more info about wordpress site creation, templates, plugins, etc.. in the meantime, ad some ideas/thoughts

post females. almost nude or even nude. post things people can relate too....Make it feel like their life as well as yours

post females. almost nude or even nude. post things people can relate too....Make it feel like their life as well as yours

Wow i thought this thread would of least had more replies.
I'm also starting something similar (more business related) with some peeps and am also using wordpress for the site. I "found" some custom themes but it seems that it would be easier to start of by the 2010 theme and use the plugin/widgets.

Thanks for the fbml info will definitely get on that as well. I agree that i don't like the generic fan page look.

Got any other links?

Wow i thought this thread would of least had more replies.
I'm also starting something similar (more business related) with some peeps and am also using wordpress for the site. I "found" some custom themes but it seems that it would be easier to start of by the 2010 theme and use the plugin/widgets.

Thanks for the fbml info will definitely get on that as well. I agree that i don't like the generic fan page look.

Got any other links?

I'll probably look into making one when I have something to offer... I'm not too interested in just posting my own thoughts online, it'd probably be unpopular anyways 
laugh.gif

I'll probably look into making one when I have something to offer... I'm not too interested in just posting my own thoughts online, it'd probably be unpopular anyways 
laugh.gif

This can be useful, I will be looking at what you posted.

Hopefully more people will post more info.

Originally Posted by Halftime718

Yo man is the your site on your sig? How you feeling the elegant theme? My quick review of the site is that i like that you kept it simple but maybe play around with other backgrounds?
Also what did you use for the e-commerce part? That is still something in the coming future for me. so any advice?

Originally Posted by Halftime718

Yo man is the your site on your sig? How you feeling the elegant theme? My quick review of the site is that i like that you kept it simple but maybe play around with other backgrounds?
Also what did you use for the e-commerce part? That is still something in the coming future for me. so any advice?

Honestly, your content is literally just copied from other sites.

I think one of the keys to generating a viewership is to generate content that is unique to your site/blog. Not just something that is essentially taking the feed from several sources and just centralizing them - there's nothing wrong with that, it just can't be your primary draw.

Honestly, your content is literally just copied from other sites.

I think one of the keys to generating a viewership is to generate content that is unique to your site/blog. Not just something that is essentially taking the feed from several sources and just centralizing them - there's nothing wrong with that, it just can't be your primary draw.

put your face behind your product. don't be affraid to use "real names" and relate to your audience as if they were good friends.

put your face behind your product. don't be affraid to use "real names" and relate to your audience as if they were good friends.

dug this up looking for text message marketing and wondering if anyone had some suggestions/experience that they wouldn't mind sharing? Any thoughts on text marketing or short code? Ty in advance

Back
Top Bottom