**..:The Official Jewelry Thread Vol. 11: You get a Jesus piece! You get a Jesus piece! Everybody gets a Jesus piece:..**

Randomly sent Daniels a message asking about a 10mm cuban 20 inch in 14k with a diamond sleek lock and was quoted $9975. Didn't ask for the specific grams as it were just a random message to them. Not an expert about the price of gold right now but is that about right? Thanks in advance.
I can make that for $8400, approx 160g, 1ct on the lock 🙂

Friday night vibes

Attachments

• 2FFBB608-A350-4A6B-AF70-36E095575672.png
    2FFBB608-A350-4A6B-AF70-36E095575672.png
    1 MB · Views: 887
they def gonna bang you over the head with the diamond lock on the premium pricing
sheesh 10 bands for a 20" chain..
honestly id stick to the box lock and upgrade to the sleek lock down the road, pretty sure maxair59 maxair59 has upgraded one or his
id suggest shopping it around if you haven't already..
@reysgoldandcash
@leonjewelry
@danieljewelryinc
@limaxigold
@cmglinks
Thanks my man. I most definitely will. Probably go with Rey's again. I loved the quality and customer service that they provided.

Daniel's diamond work isn't cheap. If you are looking for a bargain, going to Daniel's to add diamonds to your chain isn't where you want to go.

Their diamond work does seem to be good work though so it's not like they are doing terrible work and charging crazy prices. You pay for what you get.

I have a few questions that I would like some help with. I’m looking to get a Miami Cuban link chain, and picked out the following shops:
  1. Rey’s
  2. Leon
  3. Las Villas
  4. Daniel
To be honest, I’m leaning more towards Rey’s due to the tighter links, but have watched some reviews regarding his box lock and the gap it has. I also don’t like that it’s cast. Apparently, DJI has the best box lock, but the chain itself is somewhat flat.

Additionally, I’m looking to purchase an 18k, 22in., but cannot decide between an 8mm or 10mm for everyday use. I’m close to 6’2 and on the wider side lol, but looking to drop weight.

***How do you calculate the price per gram to see whether I’m getting a great price?***

I have a few questions that I would like some help with. I’m looking to get a Miami Cuban link chain, and picked out the following shops:
  1. Rey’s
  2. Leon
  3. Las Villas
  4. Daniel
To be honest, I’m leaning more towards Rey’s due to the tighter links, but have watched some reviews regarding his box lock and the gap it has. I also don’t like that it’s cast. Apparently, DJI has the best box lock, but the chain itself is somewhat flat.

Additionally, I’m looking to purchase an 18k, 22in., but cannot decide between an 8mm or 10mm for everyday use. I’m close to 6’2 and on the wider side lol, but looking to drop weight.

***How do you calculate the price per gram to see whether I’m getting a great price?***

See how many grams they’re charging for the length you want. Divide that by the price and that gives you their per gram markup: example - 20inch is 113 grams total for 18k at 8mm. Their price is 7350. 7350/113 = 65 per gram of gold. Take the specs you want and shop around.

1. Rey’s
  2. Leon
  3. Las Villas
  4. Daniel

Rey’s taxing heavy right now. Might wanna shop around.

Always go with the bigger size if you’re unsure.

Perfect and I compare that to the scrap gold price per gram of 18k?

Also, do you recommend any specific shop?

Compare them to all the shops you’re looking at and see who has the better price per gram for what you want. I personally recommend Leon’s. They have great customer service. Rey’s quoted me almost double for the same specs that I got from Leon’s. I bought two chains and they wouldn’t budge. You have a good list. I would check out saraaf also.
Rey’s taxing heavy right now. Might wanna shop around.

Always go with the bigger size if you’re unsure.
Hell yeah. I got a quote from them and was like no thank you. But I get it. It was around the holidays.

Compare them to all the shops you’re looking at and see who has the better price per gram for what you want. I personally recommend Leon’s. They have great customer service. Rey’s quoted me almost double for the same specs that I got from Leon’s. I bought two chains and they wouldn’t budge. You have a good list. I would check out saraaf also.

Hell yeah. I got a quote from them and was like no thank you. But I get it. It was around the holidays.
Are Leon’s in house made or are they sourced out lol? First time buying an expensive chain like this so want something good and for a great price, sorry if my questions are stupid lol.

1. Rey’s
  2. Leon
  3. Las Villas
  4. Daniel

If possible try on 8mm and 10mm to get a feel. They’re both good for everyday wear imo. Really depends on the look you’re going for.

If you like Daniel’s boxlocks go for it. According to CMG links, DJI started outsourcing their cubans from the seybold building but the finished product is actually an improvement imo. Just request the links to be rounder before you place your order

illi-mo illi-mo has a nice cuban from DJI

Are Leon’s in house made or are they sourced out lol? First time buying an expensive chain like this so want something good and for a great price, sorry if my questions are stupid lol.
You’re good bro. I was super green too a few months ago. This thread and NTers egaroc1 egaroc1 helped me tremendously. Most links no matter where you go under 5.5mm are sourced out or machine made. Anything above are usually handmade. I think they’re may be a few that make them at 5mm like I think jacjoe. Just got to read the description also pay attention to solid vs hollow.

1. Rey’s
  2. Leon
  3. Las Villas
  4. Daniel

I’d go 10mm. I have a 9mm 18k from Daniels, no plans to but I eventually want to upgrade to an 11
I went with Daniels because I was looking for 18k too and Rey’s told me they don’t really do it, and if they do it’s more “red” colored compared to the bright cheese yellow color from Daniels.

If any of the other places do 18k when it’s time for me to upgrade I’ll check them out before going back to Daniels. I’ll check out Leon and CMG probably
Pretty sure Daniels aren’t made in house, I had another Miami shop tell me that they aren’t and my package was shipped from CA

All this was in 2017/18 so things could be different now

I’d go 10mm. I have a 9mm 18k from Daniels, no plans to but I eventually want to upgrade to an 11
I went with Daniels because I was looking for 18k too and Rey’s told me they don’t really do it, and if they do it’s more “red” colored compared to the bright cheese yellow color from Daniels.

If any of the other places do 18k when it’s time for me to upgrade I’ll check them out before going back to Daniels. I’ll check out Leon and CMG probably
Pretty sure Daniels aren’t made in house, I had another Miami shop tell me that they aren’t and my package was shipped from CA

All this was in 2017/18 so things could be different now
The only issue with Daniel’s is that they’re fitter apparently compared to the typical style of the Miami Cuban?

If possible try on 8mm and 10mm to get a feel. They’re both good for everyday wear imo. Really depends on the look you’re going for.

If you like Daniel’s boxlocks go for it. According to CMG links, DJI started outsourcing their cubans from the seybold building but the finished product is actually an improvement imo. Just request the links to be rounder before you place your order

illi-mo illi-mo has a nice cuban from DJI
Aren’t Daniel’s more flatter compared to the typical Miami Cuban link? This is a tough situation lol.

If I were in the market for a Cuban link chain these are the things I'd be looking for, no matter who you get the chain manufactured from. (in no particular order)
1. Chain must be over karat, if I'm paying for 14k I want 14k +,if I'm paying for for 18k I want 18k+ etc.
2.Links have to be filed the way I want it, you might want it flat on both sides or rounded on both sides, you must relay this to whoever is making the chain, if not you will get what they give you!
3. unless you are getting a bracelet you want the chain to hang straight, no coiling at all.
4.you want the box lock to be properly hand made, with zero gaps in between the male and female portion of the lock (when closed), you also want the distance from the last link to the male & female portion of the lock to be as minimal as possible. if not it just looks bad to have tight links and a huge gap at the last link. The sign of a good lock is that it will not open when pulled on with the figure 8 claps unattached.
5. try to go to your local jewelry store and try different mm sizes and see what fits you. if you cant then add 2mm to what you think you want, links always look bigger in pictures. so if you think you want a 8mm get a 10mm, if you think you want a 10mm pony up and get the 12mm. there's nothing worse than getting the chain and feeling underwhelmed, or having the chain for a year and feeling you need to upgrade.
6.Only personalize the lock if you plan on keeping, if down the road you decide to sell there aren't many takers out there for a chain with your initials/logo on it, keep that in mind.
7. try not to lowball, we all want the best price but if the jeweler you decide to go with tells you $8000 don't ask if you can do it for $7300, they might accept the offer but just know that they will skimp on a portion of making your chain.
8.NEVER rush them, let them know that you aren't in a hurry and that you want the chain done correctly with zero compromise.
9.factor if you will be getting a pendant on the chain when choosing the length, if you get a 28" chain and later on decide to pair it with a 4" pendant don't forget the time machine back to 2001.
10.factor in how you will make the payment, some might accept a bank transfer helping you save on fees, others will only accept payment methods that come with fees. that can easily increase the price by $500-$1000. (don't forget to ask for free shipping)
Wear your chain in good health, but be smart, nothing wrong with tucking it in when you're on the wrong side of town!

If I were in the market for a Cuban link chain these are the things I'd be looking for, no matter who you get the chain manufactured from. (in no particular order)
1. Chain must be over karat, if I'm paying for 14k I want 14k +,if I'm paying for for 18k I want 18k+ etc.
2.Links have to be filed the way I want it, you might want it flat on both sides or rounded on both sides, you must relay this to whoever is making the chain, if not you will get what they give you!
3. unless you are getting a bracelet you want the chain to hang straight, no coiling at all.
4.you want the box lock to be properly hand made, with zero gaps in between the male and female portion of the lock (when closed), you also want the distance from the last link to the male & female portion of the lock to be as minimal as possible. if not it just looks bad to have tight links and a huge gap at the last link. The sign of a good lock is that it will not open when pulled on with the figure 8 claps unattached.
5. try to go to your local jewelry store and try different mm sizes and see what fits you. if you cant then add 2mm to what you think you want, links always look bigger in pictures. so if you think you want a 8mm get a 10mm, if you think you want a 10mm pony up and get the 12mm. there's nothing worse than getting the chain and feeling underwhelmed, or having the chain for a year and feeling you need to upgrade.
6.Only personalize the lock if you plan on keeping, if down the road you decide to sell there aren't many takers out there for a chain with your initials/logo on it, keep that in mind.
7. try not to lowball, we all want the best price but if the jeweler you decide to go with tells you $8000 don't ask if you can do it for $7300, they might accept the offer but just know that they will skimp on a portion of making your chain.
8.NEVER rush them, let them know that you aren't in a hurry and that you want the chain done correctly with zero compromise.
9.factor if you will be getting a pendant on the chain when choosing the length, if you get a 28" chain and later on decide to pair it with a 4" pendant don't forget the time machine back to 2001.
10.factor in how you will make the payment, some might accept a bank transfer helping you save on fees, others will only accept payment methods that come with fees. that can easily increase the price by $500-$1000. (don't forget to ask for free shipping)
Wear your chain in good health, but be smart, nothing wrong with tucking it in when you're on the wrong side of town!
Thank you for all these pointers. I agree especially with #4, but most are cast made. Correct me if I’m wrong, but only DJI and Gold Fever hand make their locks?

I’m looking for an everyday chain to wear and am cautious with the tightness of the links and gaps of the lock. Apparently, the consensus on this thread is Rey’s and Leon’s are the way to go, but haven’t seen much of Leon’s work nor how a correct Miami Cuban link is supposed to look like.

Back
Top Bottom