**..:The Official Jewelry Thread Vol. 11: You get a Jesus piece! You get a Jesus piece! Everybody gets a Jesus piece:..**

If I were in the market for a Cuban link chain these are the things I'd be looking for, no matter who you get the chain manufactured from. (in no particular order)
1. Chain must be over karat, if I'm paying for 14k I want 14k +,if I'm paying for for 18k I want 18k+ etc.
2.Links have to be filed the way I want it, you might want it flat on both sides or rounded on both sides, you must relay this to whoever is making the chain, if not you will get what they give you!
3. unless you are getting a bracelet you want the chain to hang straight, no coiling at all.
4.you want the box lock to be properly hand made, with zero gaps in between the male and female portion of the lock (when closed), you also want the distance from the last link to the male & female portion of the lock to be as minimal as possible. if not it just looks bad to have tight links and a huge gap at the last link. The sign of a good lock is that it will not open when pulled on with the figure 8 claps unattached.
5. try to go to your local jewelry store and try different mm sizes and see what fits you. if you cant then add 2mm to what you think you want, links always look bigger in pictures. so if you think you want a 8mm get a 10mm, if you think you want a 10mm pony up and get the 12mm. there's nothing worse than getting the chain and feeling underwhelmed, or having the chain for a year and feeling you need to upgrade.
6.Only personalize the lock if you plan on keeping, if down the road you decide to sell there aren't many takers out there for a chain with your initials/logo on it, keep that in mind.
7. try not to lowball, we all want the best price but if the jeweler you decide to go with tells you $8000 don't ask if you can do it for $7300, they might accept the offer but just know that they will skimp on a portion of making your chain.
8.NEVER rush them, let them know that you aren't in a hurry and that you want the chain done correctly with zero compromise.
9.factor if you will be getting a pendant on the chain when choosing the length, if you get a 28" chain and later on decide to pair it with a 4" pendant don't forget the time machine back to 2001.
10.factor in how you will make the payment, some might accept a bank transfer helping you save on fees, others will only accept payment methods that come with fees. that can easily increase the price by $500-$1000. (don't forget to ask for free shipping)
Wear your chain in good health, but be smart, nothing wrong with tucking it in when you're on the wrong side of town!
Idk why i was rappin in biggies voice to myself as i read that list lol...good tips.

I have both Rey’s and Leon’s. IMO Leon’s is the best value. I am highly satisfied with my 10mm from them. The thicker the chain, the better the box lock. My 8mm from Rey’s is not any better than Leon’s and their price is way higher.

I have both Rey’s and Leon’s. IMO Leon’s is the best value. I am highly satisfied with my 10mm from them. The thicker the chain, the better the box lock. My 8mm from Rey’s is not any better than Leon’s and their price is way higher.
Do you mind posting some pictures for comparison?

I narrowed it down between Leon & Rey. This is what they quoted me for the following:

18k, 22in., 10mm.:
Leon: Over 10mm - $62.50, Under 10mm - $67.50
Rey: $12,215 - 197g - $62.01 (I assume?)

My concern though is that Rey said his 18k are more reddish. I’m not sure how that translates to reality but I don’t want to be walking around with a rose gold color when I prefer yellow lol.

I also forgot to ask you guys, do you take into account the weight of the chain when thinking about your purchase or you focus on how much the jewelers are charging you for your specs?

I narrowed it down between Leon & Rey. This is what they quoted me for the following:

18k, 22in., 10mm.:

My concern though is that Rey said his 18k are more reddish. I’m not sure how that translates to reality but I don’t want to be walking around with a rose gold color when I prefer yellow lol.
I’ll snap a pic tomorrow in the daylight. My 18k from Rey’s is not a whole lot “redder” compared to my 14k from leon. And i recall i paid $62 back in summer ‘21. IMO i dont find the premium price of the 18k worth it. I rather have a thicker chain in 14k. Just my 0.02

18k, 22in., 10mm.:

Attachments

• 60B375F3-37FA-44AA-9E5F-C8047874B5E2.jpeg
    60B375F3-37FA-44AA-9E5F-C8047874B5E2.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 517
I’ll snap a pic tomorrow in the daylight. My 18k from Rey’s is not a whole lot “redder” compared to my 14k from leon. And i recall i paid $62 back in summer ‘21. IMO i dont find the premium price of the 18k worth it. I rather have a thicker chain in 14k. Just my 0.02
Appreciate it bro. Really looking forward to seeing the chain(s) in daylight!

^ dude was spot on though lol... long chains are just not it... but at the same time to each their own... it couldnt be me... now that i think about it i kinda wish my rope was 24in instead of 26in just because its longer than my other 2 24in chains and it dont match really... but my jeweler had the 26in rope chain and to tell him to cut the chain shorter i couldnt do it because i liked having more grams/weight on the chain...

I have a few questions that I would like some help with. I’m looking to get a Miami Cuban link chain, and picked out the following shops:
  1. Rey’s
  2. Leon
  3. Las Villas
  4. Daniel
To be honest, I’m leaning more towards Rey’s due to the tighter links, but have watched some reviews regarding his box lock and the gap it has. I also don’t like that it’s cast. Apparently, DJI has the best box lock, but the chain itself is somewhat flat.

Additionally, I’m looking to purchase an 18k, 22in., but cannot decide between an 8mm or 10mm for everyday use. I’m close to 6’2 and on the wider side lol, but looking to drop weight.

***How do you calculate the price per gram to see whether I’m getting a great price?***
Las Villas can make it as tight as you want.

B
Any update on those daylight pics? Would you be able to compare both of the chains?

As for the red color, how noticeable is it? From what I’ve read, 18k is more “organic” in color lol. Also, does 8mm/10mm look really thick on the neck? I’d like this to be my everyday wear.

Here is a comparison
B

Any update on those daylight pics? Would you be able to compare both of the chains?

As for the red color, how noticeable is it? From what I’ve read, 18k is more “organic” in color lol. Also, does 8mm/10mm look really thick on the neck? I’d like this to be my everyday wear.
The thinner is 18k and the thicker is 14k. Both from Rey’s. The 18k is not crazy noticeable. More rich and golden in color but not pink like RG.

I have a 10mm and i prefer this over my other cubans. It has more of a presence. Like many have said, always go thicker if you can afford. Now i wish i sprung for the 12-14mm

Attachments

• C89CCD49-D189-45D8-9234-65C38A6A86D6.jpeg
    C89CCD49-D189-45D8-9234-65C38A6A86D6.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 260
Here is a comparison

The thinner is 18k and the thicker is 14k. Both from Rey’s. The 18k is not crazy noticeable. More rich and golden in color but not pink like RG.

I have a 10mm and i prefer this over my other cubans. It has more of a presence. Like many have said, always go thicker if you can afford. Now i wish i sprung for the 12-14mm
If your gonna go 12-14 you legit might as well wait and go 15. I had a 12 and wanted a 15 months later

rumcajs23 rumcajs23 i’m only 5’8” athletic build on the thin side and 10mm is just right but can go bigger.

IMO 10-12mm for you is perfect. 22” is perfect. If you dont care about the karat, go 14k and go thiccc (~12-14mm) for almost the same price. Pair that ish up w a pendant and you’re set for good. Leon’s or Limaxi is best for 14k IMO for pricing

B

i went with 2 - 9mm 14k, i think you keep 9/10mm you straight for an everyday wear that ain't too bold, just my opinion tho, the days i wanna floss i put on both

IMG_5481.JPG

Here is a comparison

U should think about shortening one chain 0.5-1 inch so the u can stack. That might be a cheaper option than coppin another chain.

I know DJI isnt popular here as far as cubans but has anyone gotten a custom pendant from them? They don't seem to charge a whole lot compared to others
This guy says he paid $1,400

Back
Top Bottom