The Official Jordan XXXI Thread

Yes and no.
Xx9 and xxx1 are more decent imo.
The giant jumpman placement on the toe cap of the xxx as well the giant xxx at the heel and the reusing of the xx9 sole made me passing on them.
The most polarizing AJs in the recent years are the xx8.
You either totally love or hate them.

Imo, since the AJ9 original release quite all air jordans are much polarizing though.
Even the AJ11 were either much wanted or labelled as girly dancing shoes trying to be a male sneaker back then.
Concerning the AJ13 my parents refused to buy them first because they looked like monster feet.
They changed their mind when i had them on my feet.

Speaking of the original 13 looking like monster feet. I wore the white/black colorway to school in 7th grade that Monday after they came out and the whole class told me how terrible they were. I'll never forget that for some reason. Even the all time great Jordans were hated on 1st look by a lot of people.

Yes and no.
Xx9 and xxx1 are more decent imo.
The giant jumpman placement on the toe cap of the xxx as well the giant xxx at the heel and the reusing of the xx9 sole made me passing on them.
The most polarizing AJs in the recent years are the xx8.
You either totally love or hate them.

Imo, since the AJ9 original release quite all air jordans are much polarizing though.
Even the AJ11 were either much wanted or labelled as girly dancing shoes trying to be a male sneaker back then.
Concerning the AJ13 my parents refused to buy them first because they looked like monster feet.
They changed their mind when i had them on my feet.

I'm most likely in on these. I haven't bought a non retro Jordan since I bought 2011s on clearance back in the day.

Curiously, what drew you to these over the XX9s and XXXs? I'm legitimately curious since those two models don't seem as polarizing aesthetically as the XXX1s.
I actually liked a few pairs of the XX9 notably the lows and some of the models with the Jumpman on the side. I didn't really like the XXX at all. The 31 looks comfortable with the full zoom setup, I like the fly weave merging into the synthetic leather and don't really mind the Jumpman on the side like a lot of others.

I really only got back into buying shoes on a regular basis last October, so I kind of missed the boat on buying some XX9, and with the barrage of retro releases JB has hit us with, I haven't really been able to go back and buy pairs I may have missed.

Yes, and i guess you were too young to experience that in 1995 and 1997. Almost half of the persons i met they dissed the OG 11 and 12 when they came out.
I wasn't around for that, but I have heard that happened. At the time it was crazy to think of patent leather on a performance shoe. Also if I am not mistaken other than the rising sun, the 12 was designed after a woman's designer shoe. That is why the back looks like a High heel almost.

Last edited:
I had the misconception that sarcasm was still a thing in 2016, as has been previously mentioned original first color 13s are not to be ****** with at any time ever, as for the 31s, not gonna flood this thread with negative comments like to say my peace and who cares anyway right I mean why the hell should anyone with there own opinion....
Passing. Easily.

Lmao at the shoe skipping and vibrating during the traction test.
Completely unacceptaple in 2016.

This is why i cant take those two serious.
If a shoe cant hold an average court its not " getting the job done"

Not even close.

Thats just poor

On court perfomance is the only reason to buy a new J.
Then these goofs tre and J slip all over the place and tell us " these get it done".
My eyes can see these things slipping on every move.

After they destroyed the 30 for " break in time" its pretty clear they buttered these up because they got to go to a mansion this time.

These two come with that selective information on shoes and seem to be judging them more by how they are getting treated by company reps as opposed to actual performance

Curious if we will even get a solid outsole.  XX9s had some, but all of the released XXXs had translucent

On court perfomance is the only reason to buy a new J.
Then these goofs tre and J slip all over the place and tell us " these get it done".
My eyes can see these things slipping on every move.

After they destroyed the 30 for " break in time" its pretty clear they buttered these up because they got to go to a mansion this time.

These two come with that selective information on shoes and seem to be judging them more by how they are getting treated by company reps as opposed to actual performance

Agree. They destroyed the 30 because as they said in that video, they were not invited to the unveil and Jordan Brand knew they would trash them. It's apparent they get a pair to review early and it's all good again. Will wait for some of the usual suspects that post on here and are not provided free shoes to provide a review.

Last edited:
For real.
30 years later and you give me horrid traction as a tribute to the 1 which had great traction.
That has to be the poorest attention to the simplest detail in jordan history at this point.

They were bumping and skipping like vinyl records left out on the sun.
What was that lol :smh:

For real.
30 years later and you give me horrid traction as a tribute to the 1 which had great traction.
That has to be the poorest attention to the simplest detail in jordan history at this point.

They were bumping and skipping like vinyl records left out on the sun.
What was that lol :smh:

On the other hand the aj1 had better traction than most other air jordans and basketball shoes despite of being designed in 1985.
It might be an issue with that translucent clear outsole though.
The aj 5, 6 and 11 i have all are sliding like crazy on a mild dusty indoor court.
The 16 and 2011 had better traction though it was mainly the white /navy 16 with the milky outsole that had better grip than the crystal clear ones on the black/red 16.
Concerning the 29 i cannot say as i only ball outdoor with them.

So to me that translucent slippery outsole is more a tribute to the aj11 than the 1...
They should have used the same material like the 1 for the outsole.

Last edited:
I think the traction is subjective right now and I'll wait to see once the production run gets out. A lot of people claimed the XXX was horrible traction-wise (NW included) but they work fine for me and a lot of other ballers who posted their experiences. I disagree with what they said about the slippage being an issue due to lack of triggers on the medial, it's a rubber issue.

Yes, and i guess you were too young to experience that in 1995 and 1997. Almost half of the persons i met they dissed the OG 11 and 12 when they came out.
I WAS AROUND..THIS WAS TRUE.. BUT IN NYC PPL LIKED THE XI'S AND XII'S A LOT. XIII'S AND XIV'S TOOK SOME ADJUSTING THOUGH

Curious if we will even get a solid outsole.  XX9s had some, but all of the released XXXs had translucent

The main reason i stayed away from the XXX was cus of this, If the 31 does the same im out, Ive yet to experience decent traction on a translucent out sole at least the 29 had solid rubber as Ive said many times before traction is mostly due to rubber compound than the pattern. Id rather soft sticky rubber over translucent for performance.

The main reason i stayed away from the XXX was cus of this, If the 31 does the same im out, Ive yet to experience decent traction on a translucent out sole at least the 29 had solid rubber as Ive said many times before traction is mostly due to rubber compound than the pattern. Id rather soft sticky rubber over translucent for performance.

I think the 16 white/navys with the dull translucent outsolescwere one of the few that had good traction on a mild dusty court. Most translucent outsoles only provide good grip if the indoor floor is really clean like in the professional courts.
For outdoor im sure the 31 are fine. But indoor where the facility caretaker isn't wiping the floor properly they might be am issue.

Translucent just needs to be shelved when pushing a shoe as high performance.
We all know it doesn't work as well, so does jb.

If they fluked out off the bat and made unreal traction on the 1s, perhaps they should revisit that instead of a jumpman besides a swoosh.

The whole pattern is melo as hell for no reason

Last edited:
No kidding, it's ridiculous. I come in here to see pictures of new shoes/test reviews/tech specs and it's the same 5-10 people *****ing over and over again. We get it. You don't like the design. Don't buy the damn shoe then. Leave it to people who actually buy the shoes to wear casually or God forbid for their given purpose, performance basketball.

I still cannot fathom how there are people out there surprised therr is a jumpman on a jordan shoe
What's ridiculous are all the posts *****ing about our complaints meanwhile we're done complaining. Furthermore, our complaints were actually constructive criticism most likely because we're creatives and we see what could be slightly tweaked and changed to make it a home run. You people are way more annoying with this butthurt shill bs. There are more posts about it than there are actual complaints, AND with a higher word count. You sound like you don't even understand what we're complaining about. Maybe we should keep repeating ourselves until you really get it. Seriously, what did you just add to this discussion with your post? N O T H I N G  A T  A L L.

FOH

You aint wearing these casually but if you do say goodbye to women for me.

Last edited:
What's ridiculous are all the posts *****ing about our complaints meanwhile we're done complaining. Furthermore, our complaints were actually constructive criticism most likely because we're creatives and we see what could be slightly tweaked and changed to make it a home run. You people are way more annoying with this butthurt shill bs. There are more posts about it than there are actual complaints, AND with a higher word count. You sound like you don't even understand what we're complaining about. Maybe we should keep repeating ourselves until you really get it. Seriously, what did you just add to this discussion with your post? N O T H I N G  A T  A L L.

FOH

You aint wearing these casually but if you do say goodbye to women for me.
Ok tough guy

Back
Top Bottom