THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
I honestly don't know what to feel about this model.

The shoes don't look good on foot on the court from what ive seen but im sure they perform well. Cut is crazy high. Reminds me of the McFlys in some odd kind of way.

I don't hate them as these colors look awesome and I think the highs look more "complete" than the lows but im honestly so conflicted right now.
i am right there with you bigj! i tought of the air mags when i first saw them. i think i would have a hard time wearing these casually, but on court i dont think it would be a problem.

Hold on, there isn't a standard/regular version? Also I'll be purchasing the "Masterpiece" pair. I accidentally called them the "Swaggy" pair some pages back :lol:

sean michaels and bret hart see you..

bret-hart-sharpshooter-shawn-michaels.jpg
:smh:

Bruh backstories are GOAT. If a shoe doesn't have a backstory it ain't eem worth copping IMO

**** that. i dont want to **** adopt or marry a shoe. its a shoe! i just want to wear it.

**** a backstory.

pretty soon they gonna run out of back stories to tell. gonna **** around and have to use the first time kobe took a **** in his platinum colored 10,000 dollar toilet as a back story...

Bruh backstories are GOAT. If a shoe doesn't have a backstory it ain't eem worth copping IMO

**** that. i dont want to **** adopt or marry a shoe. its a shoe! i just want to wear it.

**** a backstory.

pretty soon they gonna run out of back stories to tell. gonna **** around and have to use the first time kobe took a **** in his platinum colored 10,000 dollar toilet as a back story...

i feel you but the story helps when creating the product...

**** a backstory.

LOL! Chill, bruh.

Dude was OBVIOUSLY Trolling... I mean, look at his AVY.

Either that or he's the Dumbest Person Alive. Either way, not a good look... 
sick.gif

Nikes storytelling is stupid to all of us who have been around for a while, but I'm sure the new generation finds it absolutely fascinating and loves the idea.

Sneakerheads have been doing it for years with Jordan's. Stamping their own name to it and creating buzz immediately just off a name. Difference is those shoes actually earned that name/story because WE saw it happen. We lived through that era.

Nike is so damn money hungry it doesn't even make sense. They continue to rake in billions every year and make so much throughout all their divisions of footwear and apparel and have that turned basketball into all of this. It sucks because nothing in the immediate future will change, everything will have a name and everything will have a release date.

It's one of those things where you roll with it or get rolled over. I see a lot of people walking away from their passion in the next few years because of this crap.

And with all of that being said, continue to take my money and give me my damn Kobe 9s.
View media item 768795

WORD.

Sad State that it's in... but that goes for alot of things these days. (Economy, Sports, Parenting, Social Relationships, Peace between Nations, etc.)

I want the Kobe 9 LOW, bc I geniunely like the shoe (so far) and there's No Hype that'll ever rear me towards a purchase. But I do see myself slowly walking away from the Game.

Don't think I'll ever completely leave, bc I love them too much, but I'm making more mature buying decisions year by year, and I'm proud of that.

I feel like Common in "I Used To Love HER"... :nthat:  

obviously nike's story telling worked on the older folks then just as its working young cats today, every generation wants to put down the one that come after them because they do things a differently or in their own way, but the constant has been nike's story telling; that was the one thing that they've done better than others...

obviously nike's story telling worked on the older folks then just as its working young cats today, every generation wants to put down the one that come after them because they do things a differently or in their own way, but the constant has been nike's story telling; that was the one thing that they've done better than others...
Uh... what "Story-Telling" do you speak of, back in the day???

Most Athletes back in the day DID NOT have Commercials to sell their Shoes and there wasn't any Internet to get info out or build hype with.

The ATHLETE & what they did on the Court & Field, Sold the Shoe. And most of the time there weren't many colorways anyway, so there was no chance to BS us with Backstories. We bought what we liked. 99% of the Time, it was about the Athlete & Aesthetic... Nothing Else. Even with MJ, yea, his commercials helped sell some shoes, but he was the dopest athlete in the world, he was gonna sell those shoes regardless and did, many times. I know that may be hard to believe for anybody that doesn't remember life without an internet connection... but that's REAL, bruh.

We're not putting Any Generation down. Reading is a Skill. Bottom line, alot of things are just not as good as they used to be (Can't believe I missed "Music" too, lol). But hey... if you love it.. COOL!

I was speaking to & agreeing with someone of a Like-Mind & Like-Experience. If that's not you... then it just ain't you. Not forcing you to agree, bruh.

Last edited:

The distinction that needs to be made here is between STORY TELLING and MARKETING. Nike has always had a great ability to market their products (or to hire Wieden and Kennedy to market their products), but this whole "every shoe has some divine inspiration behind it that we must now impart to you before it releases so that you have an adequate nickname for our product" spiel wasn't happening until a few years ago, and it's really picked up steam in the last year or two.

as a 32 year old with a career, raising a 6 year old son on my own, putting myself back through school to attain my masters etc. i agree with EightFivefresh's last statement, and to expand upon it....I would assume that many of the older guys on here like me could care less about the story teliing. We get what we like, and continue to do so because its one of the last connections we still have with our childhood. Sneakers and basketball. One of them I have been doing as long as I can remember, and the other I have been doing as long as I could afford. He's completely right that MJ didnt need commercials to sell. Sure, it probably boosted sales a bit, but like he said we did not have internet so wed huddle around the TV and watch the GOAT lead the bulls through the finals with some of the most memorable moments in basketball ever seen. Nike is trying to force that and unfortunately those kinds of things aren't something that can be artificially produced. Anyways.... Like I said earlier it is kind of a senseless debate, and it certainly works for Nike as far as sales. For those who dig the stories, more power to you. Its nothing to be ashamed of, i think the sum of it all is everyone has their reasons for purchasing collecting. We are all here for the love of them darn sneakers, so sit back relax, and have a pepsi/ :D

I must admit.... The Ray Gun story is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen Nike come up with though. I couldnt help but laugh, I cant take things like that seriously :rofl:

Last edited:
The distinction that needs to be made here is between STORY TELLING and MARKETING. Nike has always had a great ability to market their products (or to hire Wieden and Kennedy to market their products), but this whole "every shoe has some divine inspiration behind it that we must now impart to you before it releases so that you have an adequate nickname for our product" spiel wasn't happening until a few years ago, and it's really picked up steam in the last year or two.
Good post here.

One thing that I think is overlooked with these recent 'divine inspirations' is that a lot of these ideas are coming from the sig athletes too.  Lately when designers sit down with them it's not like:  Here's the shape, what colors should we slap on them?

Nike's trying to create a more personal connection to the sig shoe by way of colorways.  I'm guessing these masterpieces, perspectives, etc. were nearly all Kobe's idea and may not have been forced on by Nike.  Kob could be the one attempting to glorify each colorway.  I don't know, just a thought.

Let me reiterate -- I don't care for it, but it seems that this plays some part in it along with the attempt at hyping up/selling more shoes

EXACTLY.

Btw... you a Buckeye, bruh?...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom