The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by KneeNoh

Leopard > Snow Leopard is $29, right?
Anyone have a rundown of the upgrades in Snow Leopard?
Leopard is great, If the upgrades aren't anything big I might stick with Leopard.
Upgrades I can remember off the top of my head include

Better quality ichat video quality (over 4 times Leopard - they say its dvd quality now)
Less bandwidth usage through ichat video (300 instead of Leopard's 900)
Adds multi touch functions to older macbooks (Not sure exactly what this can mean, well see)
Overall faster speeds, especially shut down/sleep/waking up.

Originally Posted by quik1987

Originally Posted by Rawk On

I tried to install Corel Paint Shop Pro and when it didn't start on it's own, i tried to open autorun but it won't work. Can someone help me out?
ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

This is what i see, if it matters.

When i open autorun.inf it asks me to select a program to run it with.
autorun.ico it says "Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview doesn't recognize."
autorun.exe is just a text document
2qtii36.png

Is it for mac? .exe is a windows extention
It should work on both, i bought the prgram not too long ago.
ohwell.gif

I tried to install Corel Paint Shop Pro and when it didn't start on it's own, i tried to open autorun but it won't work. Can someone help me out?
ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

autorun.ico it says "Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview doesn't recognize."

ohwell.gif
maybe theres a disc for apples? or try looking for a .dmg?

.exe is definitely a windows extension.

Originally Posted by shake n bake718

Originally Posted by chris nosnah

If i purchased a macbook pro 3 weeks ago i how much would i be paying for snow leopard?

Im pretty sure you'll only pay $10 for it.

where would i buy it for $10 i checked the website but it says $29
eyes.gif

Everybody who pm'ed ill respond tonight. I'm currently at work. For the people who already got a reply how did they work?

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

ohwell.gif

Thanks for trying to help
happy.gif

I just went on their site and found this...
[h1]System Requirements[/h1]
  • [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Windows Vista[emoji]174[/emoji] or Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] XP,[/color] with latest service packs installed
  • 512 MB RAM (768 MB recommended)
  • 768 MB RAM required if using Windows Vista
  • 1 GHz processor (2 GHz recommended)
  • 1.5 GB hard disk space
  • 24-bit color display, 1024x768 resolution
  • Microsoft DirectX[emoji]174[/emoji] 9.0c or higher (included in Windows Vista and XP)
  • DVD drive
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Microsoft and Corel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I too need to know how this 10$ Snow Leopard deal is happening? haha. So far with all the OS speed talk and the smaller size of the OS is all worth it. Plusthe move to 64-bit right?

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

ohwell.gif

Thanks for trying to help
happy.gif

I just went on their site and found this...
[h1]System Requirements[/h1]
  • [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Windows Vista[emoji]174[/emoji] or Windows[emoji]174[/emoji] XP,[/color] with latest service packs installed
  • 512 MB RAM (768 MB recommended)
  • 768 MB RAM required if using Windows Vista
  • 1 GHz processor (2 GHz recommended)
  • 1.5 GB hard disk space
  • 24-bit color display, 1024x768 resolution
  • Microsoft DirectX[emoji]174[/emoji] 9.0c or higher (included in Windows Vista and XP)
  • DVD drive
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Microsoft and Corel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

next time, save yourself a headache and do your research before you buy something. that should help you though, but if not, you're SOL.

Yup, I just ordered and paid $10 bucks right before my hommie texts me he can get me one for free cause his homegirl has like 3 copies or bought the familypack ...fml lol. I hope 10.6 is pretty stable right out though

Picked up a used pre-Unibody 15" MBP in phenomenal condition (with AppleCare until 2011!!). I now have a MBP, an iMac, and a G4 (will prolly try to sellthe G4 for a couple bucks).

The wood grain is/was serious, so I had to steal that, along with the Helveticons (props to dunks206). I left the Aperture and Numbers icons "as is"to provide contrast. And I finished it off with the aluminum hd.

10wmc90.jpg

I think I tried posting this last night, but it didn't go through....

Pardon my ignorance on the subject -

If we wanted to upgrade our macbook's os to this version, do we run the risk of any compatibility problems with Adobe CS4 which is already installed?

Originally Posted by VanillaGorillaDX

Would we have to wipe our hard drive to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Would all software be compatible with Snow Leopard?
without reading any of the tech specs, i can say that the answer to your first question is no. it's not Apple's intent for you to have togo thru all that to upgrade.

in regards to the 2nd question, i would imagine that all software that a person has a (ahem) legit serial # for are going to be ok (meaning compatible and youwouldn't have to reload after the upgrade). i thought i read somewhere that if the serial is not legit, you would have to reload the software after youupgrade the OS. but i could be completely wrong.

Finally after much debating decided on the MBP over the 24in iMac...Now just getting it all adjusted. I read through the first 80 pages so I'll be back ina little while with an update.

So here's my question and I think it's similar to Shay's if not exactly the same (heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy shayyyyyyyyyyyy)

If my friend gets his copy, can I just use the same CD he has? He said there wasn't any serials or anything

Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

Picked up a used pre-Unibody 15" MBP in phenomenal condition (with AppleCare until 2011!!). I now have a MBP, an iMac, and a G4 (will prolly try to sell the G4 for a couple bucks).

The wood grain is/was serious, so I had to steal that, along with the Helveticons (props to dunks206). I left the Aperture and Numbers icons "as is" to provide contrast. And I finished it off with the aluminum hd.

10wmc90.jpg

May you post the original picture you used for your desktop background.

[h3]Apple Details Snow Leopard's Substantial Package of Enhancements and Refinements[/h3] As Friday's public launch of Mac OS X Snow Leopard approaches, many users are considering whether to upgrade and wondering what new features they can expect in Apple's updated operating system. While many consider Snow Leopard to be focused on "under the hood" changes to improve and streamline performance, Apple's Enhancements and Refinements page also covers a wide variety of visual and functional changes, many of which had previously been reported by Apple or sources using developer builds of Snow Leopard, but we highlight here a few of those of interest.

- "Put Back" and Stacks Navigation: Apple has added the ability for users to quickly restore items from the Trash folder to their original locations and now allows users to easily navigate within stacks by adding a scrolling feature in grid view and adding an arrow icon to allow users to navigate the folder hierarchy. The folder hierarchy icon began as a "thumbnailed" picture of the parent folder, but was replaced with the simpler arrow icon in later developer builds.

- GPU-Accelerated Video Playback: QuickTime X, included as part of Snow Leopard, utilizes video-decoding capabilities built into the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor found in many Macs, reducing load on the system's CPU and freeing it up for other tasks.

- Text Editing Features and Integration: New features include automatic correction for common spelling errors and expanded data detectors to automatically find information such as dates and addresses and provide smart options for such tasks as creating iCal or Address Book entries or mapping locations.

- Full Multi-Touch Gesture Support for Compatible Models: All of Apple's notebooks introduced since 2008, beginning with the original MacBook Air, have included Multi-Touch trackpad capabilities, but many of the early models have been unable to take advantage of newer four-finger gestures, a limitation that will be removed in OS X Snow Leopard.

- iChat Enhancements: Snow Leopard brings 640 x 480 video chats to iChat Theater, four times the resolution of those in Leopard, as well as reduced upload bandwidth requirements for video chats.

- Security: Apple has devoted an entire page of its Snow Leopard site to highlighting security features of Mac OS X, from "sandboxing" programs to limit the damage malicious software can cause and anti-phishing features in Safari to password strength assessment and parental controls. A report today is also pointing to an apparent antivirus feature built into Snow Leopard, and while MacRumors first received reports of this feature after developer build 10A261 was released in February, no further details of the feature have been unearthed.
pimp.gif

Full details of all the new features and enhancements are here.

Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

Originally Posted by VanillaGorillaDX

Would we have to wipe our hard drive to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Would all software be compatible with Snow Leopard?
without reading any of the tech specs, i can say that the answer to your first question is no. it's not Apple's intent for you to have to go thru all that to upgrade.

in regards to the 2nd question, i would imagine that all software that a person has a (ahem) legit serial # for are going to be ok (meaning compatible and you wouldn't have to reload after the upgrade). i thought i read somewhere that if the serial is not legit, you would have to reload the software after you upgrade the OS. but i could be completely wrong.

might anyone be able to shed some light on this? I'm probably going to wait it out a little bit, but how likely is it that I have to reinstall things thatare installed but are using LS to keep any communications from happening... If anyone can shed some light, shoot me a PM. I'd really appreciate it.

Desktop... interfacelift got me changing backgrounds every 3 days for the past year
laugh.gif

3857285785_3fd65252ff_o.png

Anyways, anyone reccomend time capsule? I need something to back up my files since im running out of room, should i just opt towards something else (justthinking of picking up a seagate hard drive or something) or is this worth looking into? And since it wirelessly/automatically backs up my files, if i were todelete something off my computer would it be deleted off the time capsule?? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom