The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by grittyman20

I don't want to read through all 241 pages, but I just copped a Macbook and now I'm looking for some must have programs...

I've already dl'ed VLC player, and Firefox. What else do I need?

It might help you if you did go through and read some of this, but must have programs cater to different needs. What one person may deem as a "need" is fluff to the next man. With that said:

Toast Titanium- disc burning
Handbrake- video conversion
Coversutra- iTunes desktop widget/ display
Adium- open-sourced IM client
Candybar-icon/desktop customization
iStatPro- system status widget
Cyberduck- FTP client
Microsoft Office 2008- 'nuff said
Paintbrush alternative to Paint
Senuti- Copies data from iPod to iTunes
Speed Download 5- Download accelerator
UnrarX- .rar file unarchiver
Transmission: lightweight bittorrent client

Both Opera and Chrome have beta versions of their browsers out as well.
Thanks. I know there's a lot of useful information in this thread, but there's a lot of un-useful clutter. Maybe I'm just used to official threads having all the information on the front page but it's all good. 

within the past week or so i have read all 241 pages. this thread is great. lots of info in here. i have a silver macbook pro. i bought it used. coconutbattery says its 15 months old ive had it for 2 weeks and i love it.

I don't want to read through all 241 pages, but I just copped a Macbook and now I'm looking for some must have programs...

It might help you if you did go through and read some of this, but must have programs cater to different needs. What one person may deem as a "need" is fluff to the next man. With that said:

Cyberduck- FTP client

yo my dude. how does a download accelerator work?

and also i been using iStat pro for the longest time and i always tried my best to keep my battery HEALTH at 100%. i was doing a pretty good job keeping it at 100% and taking care of it. but the past few days it went to 95%
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
and it's been buggin me. do you guys keep it plugged in even if its at 100%? i have over 280+ cycles so it might just be normal that it goes down no matter how i charge/discharge it. whats everyone's battery health at right now? tips to keep it up there?

Originally Posted by dyzzle

Cyberduck- FTP client

yo my dude. how does a download accelerator work?

and also i been using iStat pro for the longest time and i always tried my best to keep my battery HEALTH at 100%. i was doing a pretty good job keeping it at 100% and taking care of it. but the past few days it went to 95%
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
and it's been buggin me. do you guys keep it plugged in even if its at 100%? i have over 280+ cycles so it might just be normal that it goes down no matter how i charge/discharge it. whats everyone's battery health at right now? tips to keep it up there?

A download accelerator pretty much just maxes out your download speed from a given server. For example, say you normally download a file from rapidshare at 300mbps. That is just an average speed...you could be dropping down to 150mbps at anytime during that download. An accelerator keeps it constant and at the fastest speed possible. You can also batch download a group of links instead of one by one, schedule downloads and uploads, manage passwords and accounts with multiple sites, etc.

As far as the battery thing, you can't help that. Your health is gonna go down...it's the nature of lithium ion batteries. iStat Pro isnt 100% accurate though. You can double check it with coconutbattery. 200 cycles is about 2/3s of a batteries life before it begins to degrade under normal usage anyway. i'd say youre better than average at 95% health. The ideal thing to do is always charge your battery tp 100%, disconnect it and use it until it goes to 0% and recharge it again. Of course, that doesnt always happen

Originally Posted by mpdaking

you dont have to use candybar. For the ones that dont change, right click the icon and choose "get Info"
under the preview tag, you'll see the icon. drag the icon you want to change it to over that and it will change. make sure its in .ico format tho

Originally Posted by dyzzle
A download accelerator pretty much just maxes out your download speed from a given server. For example, say you normally download a file from rapidshare at 300mbps. That is just an average speed...you could be dropping down to 150mbps at anytime during that download. An accelerator keeps it constant and at the fastest speed possible. You can also batch download a group of links instead of one by one, schedule downloads and uploads, manage passwords and accounts with multiple sites, etc.

As far as the battery thing, you can't help that. Your health is gonna go down...it's the nature of lithium ion batteries. iStat Pro isnt 100% accurate though. You can double check it with coconutbattery. 200 cycles is about 2/3s of a batteries life before it begins to degrade under normal usage anyway. i'd say youre better than average at 95% health. The ideal thing to do is always charge your battery tp 100%, disconnect it and use it until it goes to 0% and recharge it again. Of course, that doesnt always happen
thanks. i'm going to have to try the download accelerator. yeah see the thing is, I've only had this macbook for about a year and i already have a lot of cycles due to disconnecting it as soon as it hits 100% and charging it only when it's almost out. maybe i should leave it charging too sometimes even with 100% still so i dont have that much cycles?

^if you've only had it for a year, I'm guessing you have the unibody model with the new batteries (1000+ charges)?
In that case, 200 cycles is nothing. You can't do anything about battery degradation...it just happens. The way you're doing it now is actually the correct way to take care of a battery. Leaving it plugged in (on the old models) would overcharge the battery after a while. On the new ones, there are sensors in place that cut power to the MagSafe adaptor until it needs it again. So you're good either way. IStat is a good ESTIMATE. it's not perfect. I'm willing to bet your health meter will jump back up for no apparent reason soon. Just keep checking it out. If you want to help your computer out a little, charge it while the unit is still on. It may take a little longer to reach 100%, but it stays calibrated. This is true for any rechargable electronic you may own (phones, handheld gaming platforms, etc)

[h3]MacHeist nanoBundle: 8 Mac Apps for $19.95 [Updated][/h3]
031556-nano.jpg
A few times a year, MacRumors partners with MacHeist to promote their Mac application bundle deal. Their latest bundle delivers at least eight Mac applications for $19.95 (over $280 value if all purchased separately) including:

- MacJournal ($40) - Collect, brainstorm, write, and organize your thoughts all in one place.
- RipIt ($20) - Easily rip and convert your DVDs for iTunes, iPod or AppleTV
- Clips ($27) - Expands the built-in clipboard, so you can store and recall multiple things with a keystroke.
- CoverScout ($39.95) - Easily fill in all your missing album art in iTunes, including all the ones iTunes missed.
- Flow ($25) - FTP client for Mac, with built-in text editing and streamlined interface.
- Tales of Monkey Island ($34.95) - TellTale Games' revival of LucasArts' classic pirating adventure game series.
- RapidWeaver ($79) - Easy to use web creation tool; RapidWeaver will become unlocked for all customers once 50,000 bundles have been sold.
- Tweetie ($19.95) - Popular Mac Twitter client; Tweetie will become unlocked for all customers once a certain number of bundles (to be announced at the unlocking of RapidWeaver) have been sold, and customers will also receive exclusive early access to Tweetie 2 for Mac beta later this month.

In addition, nanoBundle customers have the opportunity to receive three more free applications (for a total value of over $320 for all 11 applications) by tweeting to spread the word about MacHeist.

- Tracks - Play your music library and browse the iTunes Music Store from your menu bar
- Airburst Extreme - Airborne "floating" survival game with multiple gameplay modes
- Burning Monkey Solitaire - Suite of solitaire card games enhanced with a singing gorilla, flaming arrows, hundreds of jokes and secret easter eggs

This $19.95 bundle sale runs through Wednesday night Eastern time.

MacRumors is a promotional partner with MacHeist. Bundle sales through these links benefit MacRumors financially, and provide a way for readers to directly support this site.

Update: With the MacHeist nanoBundle passing through 50,000 bundles sold, RapidWeaver has now been unlocked for all customers. Tweetie will be unlocked once 56,789 bundles have been sold.

Update 2: All applications are now unlocked.

Ends in a few hours. Pretty good deal
pimp.gif

Macheist.com

I got a problem/question...I will be going to the Genius bar soon but have just been busy.

Anyways...

When I try and burn a cd, it just says initializing and then goes straight to finishing and takes a total of roughly 15-20 seconds. Then sometimes it shows it as burning a cd, but nothing is actually on the cd.

Any ideas? Do I need a new cd-drive?? I am out of warranty/apple care.

anyone heard about the new macbook pro's releasing this year?
I need to buy my bro one & i'm debating on buying one now or waiting a bit...

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

Wondering if I should upgrade to Snow Leopard. Is it worth it?

It's worth it alone for the added disc space. Snow Leopard isnt so much of an upgrade as it is an enhancement. It kinda just perfects what Leopard already brought to the table.

Originally Posted by SJSneakerheadIII

I got a problem/question...I will be going to the Genius bar soon but have just been busy.

Anyways...

When I try and burn a cd, it just says initializing and then goes straight to finishing and takes a total of roughly 15-20 seconds. Then sometimes it shows it as burning a cd, but nothing is actually on the cd.

Any ideas? Do I need a new cd-drive?? I am out of warranty/apple care.

try to reset the PRAM... Hold down P and R and hold power until you hear the tone. then try a new disc

Originally Posted by sunny559

anyone heard about the new macbook pro's releasing this year?
I need to buy my bro one & i'm debating on buying one now or waiting a bit...

just wait a little bit. Updates are imminent (hopefully with core i chips) and spec bumps. I'd say within the next month or 2 you'll see a new MBP

hey mac people, I have another question. so, I have this old powerbook g4 titanium laptop (haven't been successful installing leopard yet, but that's another story). is it reasonable to think that I can upgrade enough of this thing to be useful? I guess what I mean is, how difficult is it to upgrade the memory, the DVD drive, the hard drive, etc? If I can get leopard to work on here, I would imagine it's not going to have enough memory to function at an acceptable speed. i would like a superdrive. I can always get an external hard drive if needed, but if the internal drive can be upgraded, that's even better.

if you can give me an opinion on this or share some online resources that may point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!

Is there anyway to speed up my macbook?  It's 3 years old and has started to lag a lot and overheats quicker.

I don't know whats going on but I cannot download any zip files anymore. I just went to download candybar and after I hit download it just won't load all the way. I'm using Firefox I tried it on Safari as well and no luck. Also tried downloading some docks from dockulicious and the same problem occurs. Anyone know what's up?

i'm tired of dl apple updates ... this thing has now crashed my computer 2x ...
indifferent.gif
security fix ... dl ... crash ... /rant

computer is great when working ... stupid things like this and time machine not coming thru
indifferent.gif

/ rant

Originally Posted by denverairforce

hey mac people, I have another question. so, I have this old powerbook g4 titanium laptop (haven't been successful installing leopard yet, but that's another story). is it reasonable to think that I can upgrade enough of this thing to be useful? I guess what I mean is, how difficult is it to upgrade the memory, the DVD drive, the hard drive, etc? If I can get leopard to work on here, I would imagine it's not going to have enough memory to function at an acceptable speed. i would like a superdrive. I can always get an external hard drive if needed, but if the internal drive can be upgraded, that's even better.

if you can give me an opinion on this or share some online resources that may point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!

what are your current specs? i think those old powerbooks max out at 2 or 3GBs of RAM, which is enough to run leopard (no snow leopard since youre on a PPC machine) You dont need to upgrade the superdrive, unless youre on a combo drive now...
eef252bed49aba16235ebf422ee2e9c2187d043.gif

hard drive and RAM upgrades are simple. just remove the battery, remove the metal lining and the RAM slots/HD case are right there. You need a Torx T-8 screwdriver and a #0 phillips.

Originally Posted by Kobe4MVP12

I don't know whats going on but I cannot download any zip files anymore. I just went to download candybar and after I hit download it just won't load all the way. I'm using Firefox I tried it on Safari as well and no luck. Also tried downloading some docks from dockulicious and the same problem occurs. Anyone know what's up?

are they trying to extract automatically?
Originally Posted by shogun

Is there anyway to speed up my macbook? It's 3 years old and has started to lag a lot and overheats quicker.

get more RAM. How much do you have now? maxing out your RAM is the cheapest way to make your computer run faster.
Originally Posted by cRazy dav0

i'm tired of dl apple updates ... this thing has now crashed my computer 2x ... security fix ... dl ... crash ... /rant

computer is great when working ... stupid things like this and time machine not coming thru

/ rant

what updates did you download? i always wait a week or two before installing any new updates. There's always a chance for errors happening.

I'm interested in an ipod touch but not necessarily in a rush to get one. Should I wait for the Apple event in the fall? Is video probably going to be the only upgrade? I'm Apple illiterate btw. 

Originally Posted by KlassSickFresh 87

I'm interested in an ipod touch but not necessarily in a rush to get one. Should I wait for the Apple event in the fall? Is video probably going to be the only upgrade? I'm Apple illiterate btw. 

New ones will be out Sept, if you really wanna wait that long. No telling yet what features it will have though.

Originally Posted by shogun

Is there anyway to speed up my macbook?  It's 3 years old and has started to lag a lot and overheats quicker.

Only choice is to max out the RAM and get a cooling pad. I would suggest cleaning up apps and files that you no longer use.

Back
Top Bottom