The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by abernja

FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro last night off of ebay only to find out today that new upgraded macs came out.
I think you're actually okay for the meantime, cause only the 15 and 17 inch got the new i5/i7 processors and upgraded graphics. The 13inch remains the same.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by KlassSickFresh 87

I didn't see any info on a blu ray drive. Do they come with it?

no. wasn't part of the update. You can always get an external blu-ray drive though
ehhh not really.  OSX does not support blu ray drives.  You could buy an external blu ray drive and use it with Windows via boot camp but thats about it.  Apple believes downloadable content is the future thus negating blu ray drives.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Jiffyl00b wrote:

FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro last night off of ebay only to find out today that new upgraded macs came out.
I think you're actually okay for the meantime, cause only the 15 and 17 inch got the new i5/i7 processors and upgraded graphics. The 13inch remains the same.

No it got hardware upgrades...

Old...
2.26GHz
2GB RAM
120GB HD

New...
2.4GHz
4GB RAM
250GB HD

Also the battery life is now 10 hours and I think has updated graphics processor also.

I've already posted the MBP on eBay and it's not even been delivered to me yetl.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by wada7

15" i7 will be mine coming this June for graduation

i'm thinking about doing the same, and giving my sister my dell.
I just wish it didn't cost so much

Originally Posted by AusZero

Originally Posted by KlassSickFresh 87

I didn't see any info on a blu ray drive. Do they come with it?

no. wasn't part of the update. You can always get an external blu-ray drive though
ehhh not really.  OSX does not support blu ray drives.  You could buy an external blu ray drive and use it with Windows via boot camp but thats about it.  Apple believes downloadable content is the future thus negating blu ray drives.
What's the point of watching blu ray movies on 13/15/17 inch screens? Even on a TV you need at least a 40" to get the full effect of blu ray pictures.

What's the point of watching blu ray movies on 13/15/17 inch screens? Even on a TV you need at least a 40" to get the full effect of blu ray pictures.

My guess is that he and other people want a blu-ray drive because that's the format they own. It's possible that they didn't buy a movie that came in both blu-ray and dvd. Other people might want a blu-ray drive so that they don't have to purchase a separate blu-ray player for their HDTV.

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

My guess is that he and other people want a blu-ray drive because that's the format they own. It's possible that they didn't buy a movie that came in both blu-ray and dvd. Other people might want a blu-ray drive so that they don't have to purchase a separate blu-ray player for their HDTV.
Blu-ray can actually be used as a data disc as well as a movie.  Blu-ray discs hold around 25gb so video editors are found of them for transporting data.  As for viewing on a laptop screen most computers can support resolutions that are required by blu-ray movies.  Almost all TV's under 37 inches dont support 1080p which is the blu-ray resolution. My 17" laptop has a resolution of 1920x1200 while a 60" Sony has a resolution of 1920x1080.  I can download hi def movies and enjoy the clarity, its just not as large of an image.

Originally Posted by LilTunechi85

Yo! I need some more memory for my internal hard drive. It was 150gb, but now it's about 80/85gb because of all my music
smh.gif
Anybody have any advice on where to get some more memory?

A new hard drive or memory?
memory

Yo! I need some more memory for my internal hard drive. It was 150gb, but now it's about 80/85gb because of all my music
smh.gif

memory

If you are referring to RAM to speed up your processes then yes, you need memory. Crucial.  If you want more HD space, then you need a larger hard drive.

So I transferred all my music and videos to an external harddrive.  I also trashed the applications and documents I didn't need.  The memory on my macbook is still being used up and I don't know by what.  I had less than 100GB used up a few months ago.  Now it's saying that 240GB out of 250GB is being used up.  Can anyone help me out?

Originally Posted by shogun

So I transferred all my music and videos to an external harddrive.  I also trashed the applications and documents I didn't need.  The memory on my macbook is still being used up and I don't know by what.  I had less than 100GB used up a few months ago.  Now it's saying that 240GB out of 250GB is being used up.  Can anyone help me out?

I had the same problem recently, after some research, this helped resolve my problem.  Check your Email app on your dock, see if there is a folder for "Recovering emails," inside you will find multiple copies of large files/photos that you have sent.  That is what was taking up so much of my memory.  Delete, not the contents of the folder, but the entire folder in general, then check your memory space.  Hope this helps.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Jiffyl00b wrote:

FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No it got hardware upgrades...

Old...
2.26GHz
2GB RAM
120GB HD

New...
2.4GHz
4GB RAM
250GB HD

Also the battery life is now 10 hours and I think has updated graphics processor also.

I've already posted the MBP on eBay and it's not even been delivered to me yetl.
roll.gif

So I was thinking and have decided to keep the one I'm getting. It's really not that much difference to me. My iBook only had 60gb HD and that was fine so double won't be an issue. I can always use an external if needed. Also I'm going to just upgrade the RAM to 4gb so it will basically be the same and I've save $300 already.

Originally Posted by airmag15

I had the same problem recently, after some research, this helped resolve my problem.  Check your Email app on your dock, see if there is a folder for "Recovering emails," inside you will find multiple copies of large files/photos that you have sent.  That is what was taking up so much of my memory.  Delete, not the contents of the folder, but the entire folder in general, then check your memory space.  Hope this helps.

Thanks but I don't even use the email app or mac mail.  It's probably going to take me forever to find out what the problem is.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by airmag15

Thanks but I don't even use the email app or mac mail.  It's probably going to take me forever to find out what the problem is.
mad.gif

Try this http://jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/

I'm trying to decide what MBP to get. i have a hookup, so the prices are
baf152e995a923e6bfe9892fb5dae575ea6f467.gif

My first choice was to go with a 17" i7. I made the mistake of getting a mid-low tier option last time around, and this time i want to make sure i get the best i can get so that my computer isnt obsolete 2 years down the line. I really wanted the 17", but i can't get any build-to-order machines (for obvious reasons
03e15cef99a12ee6bbd03219196dd61dd9b05d1.gif
). So i'm stuck between the 17" i5 and the 15" i7. I really like the higher resolution and the bigger screen. This is going to be a desktop replacement, so the larger size of the 17 doesnt bug me. I am however, planning on getting a 24" Apple Cinema Display (or a 27" soon
eef252bed49aba16235ebf422ee2e9c2187d043.gif
) somewhere on down the line for when i'm actually sitting at a desk. Any input is appreciated. Right now i think i'm leaning towards the 17" still though. I just really want to be able to say i have that i7 chip after i waited so long for it

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

smh.gif

memory

If you are referring to RAM to speed up your processes then yes, you need memory. Crucial.  If you want more HD space, then you need a larger hard drive.
Yeah, I want more HD space. Where can I get a larger hard drive without breaking my pockets. Looking to add btw 70-200gb of space

smh.gif

memory

Yeah, I want more HD space. Where can I get a larger hard drive without breaking my pockets. Looking to add btw 70-200gb of space

Do you have a desktop or a laptop?
you need a 3.5" drive for a desktop, or a 2.5" drive for a laptop (also with this, it cant be taller than 9mm)
Desktop drives are cheaper compared to equally sized laptop drives. Also with the height limitations, 640GB is currently the largest you can go in a laptop. I picked up a WD Scorpio Blue 640GB for $110 on Amazon a few months back and it was definitely worth the upgrade from my stock 60GB.
If not there, try Newegg.com

smh.gif

memory

you need a 3.5" drive for a desktop, or a 2.5" drive for a laptop (also with this, it cant be taller than 9mm)
Desktop drives are cheaper compared to equally sized laptop drives. Also with the height limitations, 640GB is currently the largest you can go in a laptop. I picked up a WD Scorpio Blue 640GB for $110 on Amazon a few months back and it was definitely worth the upgrade from my stock 60GB.
I have a MBP. Thanks for that info. I think i'm gonna search for the one you recommended. Is it easy to install yourself or should I let a computer tech do it?

is applecare the best out warranty, someone told me bestbuy (cheaper too) what is your guy's opinions?

Thegoat: Are you also planning to upgrade the Hard drive to 7200rpm? 8gbs ram? which display?

I'm thinking of getting the 15" i-7 - hi res screen anti-glare - 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm - my only hook up would be someone's student discount CA sales tax is no joke..

smh.gif

memory

I have a MBP. Thanks for that info. I think i'm gonna search for the one you recommended. Is it easy to install yourself or should I let a computer tech do it?
I'd suggest getting someone to install it for you. Why not getting an portable external? You get good deals on those all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom