The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by davizzy

compatibility report? I'm not sure what that means. Thanks ahead of time THEGOAT

when you go to save something on powerpoint 08, theres an option to check for compatibility before you save it. This just makes sure that the file youre saving works on both windows and mac osx

Sup everyone. HP laptop is on life support and was thinking of making the switch. Any thoughts on when the new iMac is going to get its refresh? I've read that the new macbooks are set to release this month. Also, how are the speakers on the iMac. Are they loud enough to bump music that I can hear throughout my condo or would I need upgraded speakers? This will all be extremely new to me so I will be checking this thread often.

Originally Posted by herman818

Sup everyone. HP laptop is on life support and was thinking of making the switch. Any thoughts on when the new iMac is going to get its refresh? I've read that the new macbooks are set to release this month. Also, how are the speakers on the iMac. Are they loud enough to bump music that I can hear throughout my condo or would I need upgraded speakers? This will all be extremely new to me so I will be checking this thread often.

dont count on built in speakers bro. external speakers will always be 100x better.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by datdamndeuce

So how do I get the correct artwork etc for files that Plex doesn't seem to recognize?

no clue. i've never had an issue with nonworking artwork. try their forums for support http://forums.plexapp.com/ or just google it
I realized that I didn't have it set to refresh the folder whenever I added new files, so I set it up like that and it worked fine. Thanks for directing me towards the program. VLC is fine, but PLEX presents it in a much more refined manner. If you download it or look for screenshots of it, you'll definitely use it more than VLC, trust me.
pimp.gif

Seems like all the cool apps work only on an intel. I can't even take
advantage of watching netflix online with my
PowerPC Mac. I need to upgrade asap.

wonder how Plex works with MLB.tv. I've used the standalone player from the website..and it's terribly laggy...Flash I know....smh

I'm interested in info on new iMacs too.  Completely fed up with my Dell desktop now, and find myself using my Macbook for everything, even though my desktop has the majority of my music library and stuff.

Originally Posted by Wings90

I'm interested in info on new iMacs too.  Completely fed up with my Dell desktop now, and find myself using my Macbook for everything, even though my desktop has the majority of my music library and stuff.

the newest rumors point to April 13 or April 24. Nobody but apple knows for sure though. I'd just thug it out with the computers you guys have now> New iMacs won't be out for a while. THe next update will most likely be focused on the laptop line and Mac Pros

Originally Posted by Wings90

the newest rumors point to April 13 or April 24. Nobody but apple knows for sure though. I'd just thug it out with the computers you guys have now> New iMacs won't be out for a while. THe next update will most likely be focused on the laptop line and Mac Pros

I would say the next iMac update would be June at the earliest, probably more like August at least.  I'm holding out hoping to grab one of these + iPod with the typical back to school sale.  Usually lasts from Late May to August I think.  I really wouldn't be surprised if new iMac's don't drop until even later though.  They spent a long time trying to fix the screens, and it was only recently that they officially 'fixed' some of the problems.

Thanks guys. I'll definitely wait until this April rumor date, and maybe even until the back to school thing.  I can manage with just my Macbook until then.

Hmmmmm, reports have pointed to a Macbook refresh in April but I rarely move my HP laptop from my desk so I would like to get an iMac for the screen, wireless keyboard, and magic mouse. I can wait till the new iMac come out since the HP is still working for now. That will give me time to save my loot cause these machines aren't cheap.

[h4]MacBook Pro updates almost upon us? Screenshot of new model numbers offers hope[/h4]
By Paul Miller posted Apr 10th 2010 9:40PM

It seems silly to give up all expectation for a MacBook Pro refresh. After all, isn't a spec bump for Apple's flagship laptops a total inevitability? Still, the arduous wait has begun shake our faith, and we're happy to see even this sliver of evidence to snap us from our stupor. An internal Microcenter system is listing four new laptops with new part numbers, which, if legitimate, almost certainly harbor new Core i5 and Core i7 processors (maybe even those NVIDIA Optimus graphics if we're lucky). According to the Microcenter employee who sent this out, a similar thing happened in November with a correct model number and price for the new MacBook. Mac Rumors claims to have been able to receive independent confirmation on the numbers, so we might really have something here. Now, as for a specific launch date, the best we have so far is that April 13th rumor, but with a tips box buzzing with rumors, we're starting almost feel confident in seeing a new MacBook Pro this century.

from, engadget

[h4]Apple refreshes MacBook Pro family with Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors... at long last![/h4]
By Paul Miller posted Apr 13th 2010 8:34AM

Breaking News

This transition from the last crop of Core 2 Duo chips (which Apple introduced in June of last year) to Intel's Core 2010 chips has caused quite the unprecedented wait, but at last we're staring down a fresh crop of MacBook Pros and all is right with the world. The 13-inchers are sticking with Core 2 Duo, but the 15.4-inch and 17-inch models are now Core i5 and Core i7 through and through. The higher end models are nabbing NVIDIA's GeForce GT 330M graphics with Optimus switching (though Apple just calls it "automatic graphics switching technology"), while the 13-incher get NVIDIA GeForce 320M scraps. Along with the faster 2.4GHz and 2.66GHz chips in the 13-inch, Apple claims to be able to squeeze 10 hours of battery life from the machine, but the real meat is in the Core i5 2.4GHz (520M), Core i5 2.53GHz (540M), and Core i7 2.66GHz (620M) processors in the larger models. The 330M graphics are twice as fast as the 13's 320M, but thanks to the magic of Optimus, which switches the GPU on and off on the fly based on the needs of the task at hand, Apple still thinks you'll manage 8 to 9 hours of battery life on these big guys.

All machines come with 4GB of RAM, and while hard drives are standard (320GB and 500GB in the higher end), you're free to add a 512GB SSD to your machine if you so choose, for a mere $1,300. Interestingly only the 15-incher is getting that top Core i7 chip, with the sole 17-inch model is consigned to the 2.53GHz Core i5. Prices range from the usual $1,799 on the 15 to $2,299 on the 17, with a $1,199 starting price on the 13. On the 15-inch you can pick between a 1440 x 900 "glossy" display, a 1680 x 1050 glossy display for $100 more, and an anti-glare hi-res display for another $50 on top of that (you 17-inch users are stuck with 1920 x 1200 and glossy). The biggest tweak outside of these beefy internals is "inertial scrolling" support for the trackpads, à la iPhone, though we're not sure why this couldn't have been added with just a software update. Everything's up on the Apple Store right now for your perusal, with the bigger models shipping "within 24 hours" and a 2-4 day delay on the 13-inch.

I guess I should go ahead and get a MacBook Pro now huh

Originally Posted by omgitswes

[h4]Apple refreshes MacBook Pro family with Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors... at long last![/h4]
By Paul Miller posted Apr 13th 2010 8:34AM

Breaking News

This transition from the last crop of Core 2 Duo chips (which Apple introduced in June of last year) to Intel's Core 2010 chips has caused quite the unprecedented wait, but at last we're staring down a fresh crop of MacBook Pros and all is right with the world. The 13-inchers are sticking with Core 2 Duo, but the 15.4-inch and 17-inch models are now Core i5 and Core i7 through and through. The higher end models are nabbing NVIDIA's GeForce GT 330M graphics with Optimus switching (though Apple just calls it "automatic graphics switching technology"), while the 13-incher get NVIDIA GeForce 320M scraps. Along with the faster 2.4GHz and 2.66GHz chips in the 13-inch, Apple claims to be able to squeeze 10 hours of battery life from the machine, but the real meat is in the Core i5 2.4GHz (520M), Core i5 2.53GHz (540M), and Core i7 2.66GHz (620M) processors in the larger models. The 330M graphics are twice as fast as the 13's 320M, but thanks to the magic of Optimus, which switches the GPU on and off on the fly based on the needs of the task at hand, Apple still thinks you'll manage 8 to 9 hours of battery life on these big guys.

All machines come with 4GB of RAM, and while hard drives are standard (320GB and 500GB in the higher end), you're free to add a 512GB SSD to your machine if you so choose, for a mere $1,300. Interestingly only the 15-incher is getting that top Core i7 chip, with the sole 17-inch model is consigned to the 2.53GHz Core i5. Prices range from the usual $1,799 on the 15 to $2,299 on the 17, with a $1,199 starting price on the 13. On the 15-inch you can pick between a 1440 x 900 "glossy" display, a 1680 x 1050 glossy display for $100 more, and an anti-glare hi-res display for another $50 on top of that (you 17-inch users are stuck with 1920 x 1200 and glossy). The biggest tweak outside of these beefy internals is "inertial scrolling" support for the trackpads, à la iPhone, though we're not sure why this couldn't have been added with just a software update. Everything's up on the Apple Store right now for your perusal, with the bigger models shipping "within 24 hours" and a 2-4 day delay on the 13-inch.
I guess I should go ahead and get a MacBook Pro now huh

I'm kinda glad I didn't wait. I wanted the 13 inch and they barely did anything to it. I'll stick with what I got a few months ago.
pimp.gif

[h3]Inside Apple's New MacBook Pro[/h3]
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png
moz-screenshot-4.png
085253-2010_mbp.jpg
Apple today introduced a refreshed line of MacBook Pro notebooks, bringing several new features to the the company's popular aluminum-clad offerings. Here is a look at some of the changes included in the update:

114744-intel_core_i7.jpg

Processors
Apple stuck with Intel Core 2 Duo processors for the 13" MacBook Pros, bumping the two standard configuration models from 2.26 GHz and 2.53 GHz to 2.4 GHz and 2.66 GHz. The 15" and 17" models, however, saw a bump from the Core 2 Duo line to Core i5 and i7 processors offering Intel's Hyper-Threading technology that allows for four virtual cores on the dual-core processor. While the processors run at slightly lower clock speeds than the Core 2 Duo in the previous generation, the smaller 32-nanometer process, Hyper-Threading, and other enhancements yield performance improvements of up to 50% according to Apple. The Core i5 and i7 processors also support Turbo Boost, pushing clock speeds for the i7 models as high as 3.33 GHz for single-threaded tasks.

114744-graphics_switching.jpg

Graphics
On the new 13" MacBook Pro, Apple debuted the NVIDIA GeForce 320M integrated graphics processor that offers 48 processing cores, three times that of the previous generation. Apple claims a performance boost of up to 80% with the new graphics capabilities while also being able to deliver up to 40% less power usage. The GeForce 320M is reportedly a custom production for Apple, offering greater performance than NVIDIA's standard integrated graphics without building in discrete graphics capabilities.

The 15" and 17" MacBook Pro models utilize the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with either 256 or 512 MB of dedicated memory, offering more horsepower while also delivering up 30% greater energy efficiency. The 15" and 17" MacBook Pro models also offer automatic graphics switching, allowing system to seamlessly switch between the dedicated NVIDIA graphics processor and the included integrated Intel HD graphics processor for optimal balance of power and efficiency. Previous MacBook Pro models have required users to manually switch between integrated and discrete graphics and log out of their account for each switch.

114744-mbp_battery.jpg

Battery
All three MacBook Pro models offer greater battery life than their predecessors, a feat achieved through a combination of larger battery capacity and greater energy efficiency. The 13" MacBook Pro now offers up to 10 hours of power, while the 15" and 17" models boast battery life of 8-9 hours. The previous generation of the MacBook Pro offered 7 hours on the 13" and 15" models and 8 hours on the 17" model. The batteries in all three machine sizes are non-user-replaceable and are designed for up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles. While designed to last five years for typical users, Apple offers a battery replacement service priced at $129 (13" and 15" models) or $179 (17" model).

Display
The 15" MacBook Pro has gained a new option for a high-resolution display, offering users the opportunity to bump the standard 1440x900 screen to 1680X1050. The high-resolution display is available in both glossy ($100 extra) and anti-glare ($150 extra) versions. Notably, an anti-glare option for the lower-resolution display does not appear to be available. The 17" MacBook Pro continues to sport a 1900x1200 screen in either glossy (standard) or anti-glare ($50 extra). Apple also continues to offer a single standard glossy display running at 1280x800 for the 13" model.

Hard Drive
Apple is offering up to 500 GB, 5400-rpm SATA hard drives across all three sizes, with the 15" and 17" models also offering the option of up to 500 GB, 7200-rpm drives. Solid-state drive capacities have increased with the addition of a 512 GB option, although it carries a hefty price premium of $1300-$1450 depending on which base hard drive the customer is upgrading from.

Inertial Scrolling
The new MacBook Pro offers an enhanced multi-touch trackpad supporting inertial scrolling. The feature, already present in similar forms on Apple's iPhone OS devices and the Magic Mouse, allows users to "flick" while scrolling as the trackpad senses the momentum of the gesture and smoothly scrolls through long documents and libraries.

In the U.S. and Canada, Apple's new MacBook Pro line is currently showing 2-4 business day shipping windows for standard-configuration 13" models, while base 15" and 17" models are showing availability within 24 hours. Apple's international online stores are showing shipping windows ranging from 24 hours to 5 business days for various standard-configuration models, with the 13" models and the mid-range 15" model most frequently seeing the longer delays.

i guess i was expecting more with these updates..better prices wouldn't have hurt. They're lackluster to say the least. My first gen macbook is just about done though. I'll pick up a 17" MBP, although i wish the i7 came standard.

i guess i was expecting more with these updates..better prices wouldn't have hurt. They're lackluster to say the least. My first gen macbook is just about done though. I'll pick up a 17" MBP, although i wish the i7 came standard.

I agree with you. I wonder if the last MBP will be sold for a good deal on campus. Maybe I'll swoop in the fall. Haha.

You guys understand how FAST the i7 processor is?!

It's already been benchmarked by engadget and its a 50% performance increase over last gen which was already pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom