The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Sup Mac experts, I'm looking at getting my first Mac soon but need some advice before I do. I am planning on going back to school to take some web design, Photoshop, and Illustrator courses. Would the new 13" be sufficient enough power, or should I opt for 15" and with which processor? If I go with a MBP, I am definitely going to buy a larger monitor to connect. Or should I wait till the updated iMacs come out? I don't want to buy another machine for a while so I want sufficient power but I don't want to overspend on features I won't use. Any advice would be nice. Mahalo.

Just joined the Mac Family. MBP to be exact.

Copped the 13in for 999.99 in the Howard Bookstore with student discount ...
pimp.gif

Been hooked.

Originally Posted by Driftracer

^ if u have the money get the 15" i7 - no regrets esp. if you plan to keep for a long time

But will I need that to run programs like PS, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver or will the higher end 13" MBP suffice?  The 15" i7 is nice but I don't want to spend all that money if I don't need it.  Other than that it will just be web browsing and itunes.   

Any suggestions for additional disk space for a Macbook? Been deleting files but still says hard drive is full

Originally Posted by ReeceMan10

Just joined the Mac Family. MBP to be exact.

Copped the 13in for 999.99 in the Howard Bookstore with student discount ...
pimp.gif

Been hooked.

shouldve waited, they are coming up with a back to school sale soon
with every macbook purchase, free ipod nano or ipod touch after rebates

Originally Posted by herman818

^ if u have the money get the 15" i7 - no regrets esp. if you plan to keep for a long time

But will I need that to run programs like PS, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver or will the higher end 13" MBP suffice?  The 15" i7 is nice but I don't want to spend all that money if I don't need it.  Other than that it will just be web browsing and itunes.   
Not necessarily.  Buying an i7 15-inch is basically buying for the long-term. Hell, I would rather suggest purchasing an i7 iMac if you decide to get that.  I run PS, Lightroom and Illustrator on my 3.06ghz 27" iMac. It works fine running with 4 GB of Ram.  If you do need the power for future use, then yes, I suggest you look in the new quad-core processors. They are lightning fast and more apps and developers will steer towards utilizing that power.

does anyone here download software? ex: final cut pro, adobe?

can apple track you? esp. if you take it to the store to get something fixed using apple care?

Finally made the switch after being a life long PC user.

Got the...

15 inch MacBook Pro + core i7 + 256 SSD + hi-res matte display

... and I'm totally LOST.

macrumors.com have been a great help.

Newb question,

Do I need to install an antivirus on my mac?

Originally Posted by Prada G

Finally made the switch after being a life long PC user.

Got the...

15 inch MacBook Pro + core i7 + 256 SSD + hi-res matte display

... and I'm totally LOST.

macrumors.com have been a great help.

Newb question,

Do I need to install an antivirus on my mac?
If you feel the need to then go ahead and install some Anti-Virus. I've been using a Mac since 2004 and have never had a problem with any virus.

Btw, nice purchase on the MBP. Just continue to read tutorials online and some tips that Apple give on their website and you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Driftracer, good question!

When do the back to school sales go on usually? I suppose before school, but more of july or august or september?

think im gonna get the new macbook like......now, they just updated on the apple website has the 10 hour battery, 2.4 etc, im more of a casual user........ive been looking at laptops/apple for weeeks now. im tired of this ol toshiba my sister got with a intel inside celeron processor too. slow as(&#$#$

im just sick of DELL too............gone threw a few of them joints. no point in postin all those stories in here though.

also i use MSN, so is it possible to put this on my mac?

DO you guys all have applecare or is that a waste? extended warranties for the most part are all cash cows for companies just want your guys opinions.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

think im gonna get the new macbook like......now, they just updated on the apple website has the 10 hour battery, 2.4 etc, im more of a casual user........ive been looking at laptops/apple for weeeks now. im tired of this ol toshiba my sister got with a intel inside celeron processor too. slow as(&#$#$

im just sick of DELL too............gone threw a few of them joints. no point in postin all those stories in here though.

also i use MSN, so is it possible to put this on my mac?
http://www.microsoft.com/...s/messenger/default.mspx

ok..........

im part of the MAC family now

copped an iMac with 2 day shipping

will i need a different router for the crib like an apple one?

sorry if the question is dumb.

Would we be better off waiting for the eventual iMac refresh in hopes they update the processor and graphics, or is the core 2 duo more than enough?

Needs:

-Last 5 years minimum.
-Wife is a photographer, therefore, Adobe products like CS4, CS5 etc are of primary use.
-We have a macbook, she wants an iMac for screen size, computing ease, etc.
-Large hard drive and expandable memory

My concern is the eventual computing power of the core 2 duo wouldn't be able to keep up with eventual program requirements (especially adobe).

Also, I'm pretty sure there isn't a whole lot of room inside an iMac, but can you put dual drives?

ok..........

im part of the MAC family now

copped an iMac with 2 day shipping

will i need a different router for the crib like an apple one?

sorry if the question is dumb.

na you can use any router you want. It doesn't have to be apple branded. As far as Applecare, you have a year from the date of purchase to figure out if you need it or not. Having had multiple apple laptops and desktops in the past decade and some change, I'd fully recommend it to a laptop owner. Since you have an iMac...you'll be less prone to accidental damage or failed parts due to constant movement, but you never know what could go wrong. If money isn't tight, id just pay for it. Anyone can buy it from the online education store at a significant discount (almost 50%). Apple repiars aren't cheap, and Applecare customers tend to get preference when damages happen that aren't covered in the warranty. I've gotten multiple top cases, power cords, and even latch damage fixed with no questions asked.

Originally Posted by nocomment6

When do the back to school sales go on usually? I suppose before school, but more of july or august or september?

Usually early June, but sometimes at the end of May. It's all relative. Soon though.

Originally Posted by Drfit racer

can apple track you? esp. if you take it to the store to get something fixed using apple care?

They can't track you. They arent gonna go and seize your computer because you have a few "acquired" programs
03e15cef99a12ee6bbd03219196dd61dd9b05d1.gif

Just make sure your serials stay valid and you'll be good with no hiccups

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Would we be better off waiting for the eventual iMac refresh in hopes they update the processor and graphics, or is the core 2 duo more than enough?

Needs:

-Last 5 years minimum.
-Wife is a photographer, therefore, Adobe products like CS4, CS5 etc are of primary use.

My concern is the eventual computing power of the core 2 duo wouldn't be able to keep up with eventual program requirements (especially adobe).

Also, I'm pretty sure there isn't a whole lot of room inside an iMac, but can you put dual drives?
i dont feel like waiting anymore..........a new imac could come out this summer.......................it is what it is.....

this is for the house also so, sis an moms will use it im just tired of pos DELL machines......ill get my own macbook an just let them use the imac for their needs later on if i need.

im a casual computer user...........save a few pics...............basically surf and download music.

i dont photoshop, im not an up an comin rapper or nothin............i can always sell on craigslist for a lost an upgrade though somebody always lookin to get an apple machine right?

moms just be on the computer checkin email on aol.......surf w/e

sis be on datpiff and twitter all day

me..............niketalk an w/e other information i be browsin.

Prada G - nice purchase esp the 256ssd - i wish i can afford a ssd HD, i'll wait it out

Al Audi - get apple care - but purchase it on ebay, usually +50% cheaper

LazyJ10 - i think they refreshed the 27-inch: 2.66GHz Intel Core i5 Quad core - convince her to get the new MBP i7

any insight to my question: sorry if it rubs the ppl the wrong way

Needs:

-Last 5 years minimum.

i dont feel like waiting anymore..........a new imac could come out this summer.......................it is what it is.....

this is for the house also so, sis an moms will use it im just tired of pos DELL machines......ill get my own macbook an just let them use the imac for there needs later on if i need.

im a casual computer user...........save a few pics...............basically surf and download music.

i dont photoshop, im not an up an comin rapper or nothin............i can always sell on craigslist for a lost an upgrade though somebody always lookin to get an apple machine right?
laugh.gif
I hear you.  She doesn't want to wait either, but for the investment I want to make sure it lasts for what she needs it for.
If it was for me solely, I'd be like you and cop because of what I'd use it for wouldn't even reach it's full computing capabilities.

Lazy im comin from a DELL with windows vista basic AMD 64 athlon x2 dimension c5251

only reason i been lookin at apple is because this like our 4th dell with problems..........joints is madd cheap but #&$(# it now im crossin over

this iMac will be more than enuff prolly, o yea when you sell a apple to somebody else the applecare carries over to them correct?

like i said everybody casual with computer use.

LazyJ10 - i think they refreshed the 27-inch: 2.66GHz Intel Core i5 Quad core - convince her to get the new MBP i7

27inch is just too damn big, especially for the space it'd occupy in our home.  Mac Book Pro, while would be intriguing, just isn't a direction she wants to go.  She's basically set on a iMac, it's just a matter of waiting to see what the 21.5 would be refreshed to. 

Needs:

-Last 5 years minimum.

Core 2 Duo is fine for now, but if you're gonna want it to last for 5 years, you may want to future proof it with a Core i processor. The current gens are approaching the end of their cycle, so unless you need it right away, i'd wait. That's just me personally though..i hate having dated hardware as soon as i buy it. I'd imagine that nwe models would come between the iphone release (June) and ipod refresh (September). That's just an educated guess though. The 27" iMac has the option of a core i5 if you wanna spend the money. That would definitely handle the work load you throw at it for years to come.
And you can install dual hard drives, but you'd have to remove the Superdrive. Not like it gets much use anyway.

this iMac will be more than enuff prolly, o yea when you sell a apple to somebody else the applecare carries over to them correct?

that's correct

any insight to my question: sorry if it rubs the ppl the wrong way

check my response above

Thanks Goat.

She's already to capacity on her macbook (few years old) and one of our external hard drives. I'm hoping the refresh occurs on the closer side of the iPhone announcement. I'm hoping they do something like what they did for the Macbook today.

Back
Top Bottom