The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

Saw this in another thread and wanted to know where I can find that calendar at the bottom.
i think thats geektool....i downloaded it and have yet to use it 
laugh.gif

Whats goin on NT? i bought my MBP like a month ago and its amazing.. I didnt think i would like the switch from PC to Mac but im glad i did.. Where can i find new icons and docks?.. im still new to it so any extra info is appreciated!

Battery health at 70%, 455 cycles 
sick.gif

Noticed that I have the "Service Battery" notice. Does it mean I have to buy a new battery? I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty too.

To replace the hdd you have to take the whole iMac apart anyways, I don't think I would have done that..some do sure, but not your average user.

What are some good apps to have?
I should be getting my new Mac in the mail tomorrow, I'll post a pic of the setup it's
eek.gif

Originally Posted by bjamez20

To replace the hdd you have to take the whole iMac apart anyways, I don't think I would have done that..some do sure, but not your average user.

Exactly... Just get AppleCare and your set for 3 years after your buy... If the drive fails Apple will replace it... Plus after 3 years I'll be buying a new one by then. I really don't keep computers after 3-4 years anyways.

Originally Posted by stylez23

Originally Posted by bjamez20

Exactly... Just get AppleCare and your set for 3 years after your buy... If the drive fails Apple will replace it... Plus after 3 years I'll be buying a new one by then. I really don't keep computers after 3-4 years anyways.
na some people like to get faster drives, bigger drives than what apple offers for cheaper prices. bjamez is right about average users not being up to the task but that's besides the point...apple just switched out the connector and gave some BS excuse. In reality it's an unnecessary hurdle; Apple takes the closed system way too far in regards to both hardware and software

anyone put a new hd in 2010 macbook, im thinking of doing it is there anyway to save my stuff without getting a external drive?

i really only care about my itunes will it save on its own?

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

anyone put a new hd in 2010 macbook, im thinking of doing it is there anyway to save my stuff without getting a external drive?

i really only care about my itunes will it save on its own?
youre gonna need some external medium of transfer. How big is your library? you can save your itunes library to CD/DVD and just import them on your new computer. Keep in mind a DVD only stores about 4.5GBs though. If you have any substantial amount of music you might just wanna opt for an external. You should always have a system backup anyway so you can use this an an excuse to invest in one

Finally made some upgrades to my Macbook Pro I added 8GB of RAM and bought a Seagate Goflex portable drive to work with my Mac and PCs

Now I need to add a bigger internal hard drive what's the software to clone the os or should I just get new os discs from Apple

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

sick.gif

Noticed that I have the "Service Battery" notice. Does it mean I have to buy a new battery? I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty too.

I just put in my order for a MBP and was a little curious about this. I do know about optimizing battery but fully charging it and then letting it die down all the way before charging again, but is there anything else I should look in to doing when my mbp comes in? I was gonna go through the whole thread but amount of pages is ridiculous. Thanks!
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by xtianp

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

sick.gif

I just put in my order for a MBP and was a little curious about this. I do know about optimizing battery but fully charging it and then letting it die down all the way before charging again, but is there anything else I should look in to doing when my mbp comes in? I was gonna go through the whole thread but amount of pages is ridiculous. Thanks!
embarassed.gif

i havent fully drained my battery in about a month, currently at 19 cycles, 99 health(6819/6900), 10 weeks old. at leas ti got apple care
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by QueenCitySneakerQueen

Finally made some upgrades to my Macbook Pro I added 8GB of RAM and bought a Seagate Goflex portable drive to work with my Mac and PCs

Now I need to add a bigger internal hard drive what's the software to clone the os or should I just get new os discs from Apple
You can make a time machine backup or use SuperDuper! to clone the drive. With either of those options, you wont need the reinstall discs. 

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

You can make a time machine backup or use SuperDuper! to clone the drive. With either of those options, you wont need the reinstall discs. 
Thanks
eek.gif
I didn't know Time Machine was capable of such greatness ... if I use Time Machine it's an even/exact copy even including how many gbs are used right now in my current hard drive? I won't need activation keys for Microsoft Word will I

And which is more beneficial to use Time Machine or Super Duper

Thanks
eek.gif
I didn't know Time Machine was capable of such greatness ... if I use Time Machine it's an even/exact copy even including how many gbs are used right now in my current hard drive? I won't need activation keys for Microsoft Word will I

i have replaced a 320, 500 and 750GB internal hard drive on my mac and i use superduper everytime. it makes exact copies.

got my iMac in the mail today and was able to put together my set up

112edeq.jpg

its like living in an apple store
happy.gif

Originally Posted by retro23phan

Thanks
eek.gif

i have replaced a 320, 500 and 750GB internal hard drive on my mac and i use superduper everytime. it makes exact copies.
which 750gb hard drive did you use?  1TB won't fit right

i purchase this: http://www.newegg.com/Pro...spx?Item=N82E16822136835
1TB will fit if it is 2.5 inch hard drive, i would have gone 1TB but there was no 7200RPM at the time.
it was easy, once i received the hard drive. i put an enclosure on it, made it external and use superduper to make a copy. opened up my macbook pro, and switch drives.

Thanks
eek.gif

be careful with any drive larger than 750Gb as an internal; MB/MPs only officially support 9mm sz drives. 1TB+ are all 12.5mm and they don't really fit the space where the drive goes since they're too tall Some people manage to finagle them in there by taking off the tab and not using the screws to hold the drive in place. Both SuperDuper and Time Machine make exact copies..it's all preference as to which one you wanna use. Either way you won't need serials for any of your existing applications

I have a 2010 Mac Book Pro that I purchased this past September, on the left hinge it keeps making a cracking noise. When I adjust the screen or put the laptop to sleep.

Anyone else have this problem
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by reener

I have a 2010 Mac Book Pro that I purchased this past September, on the left hinge it keeps making a cracking noise. When I adjust the screen or put the laptop to sleep.

Anyone else have this problem
nerd.gif
That's not good. You should still be under warranty. Set up an appt. at your local Apple Store and get that fixed.

Back
Top Bottom