The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by Prince Of Shoes HEAD

so should we buy the new imac now? or will there 30inch come out anytime soon?
dude 
03e15cef99a12ee6bbd03219196dd61dd9b05d1.gif

they JUST came out today. Apple has abandoned 30" displays, at least in the short term. 27" is the flagship standard now. If you're in the market for one, now is the perfect time to buy

capricdragon wrote:
Thanks AusZero.
So you suggest I connect the Mini-DVI to the back of my Mac?  but the problem is the Mac is in the adjacent room.  Hence the reason the previous home owner installed the Composite cable wall jack.

So how does the Mini-DVI work in conjunction with my wall jack?

My Mac: 27-inch; 3.06GHz; 10.6.7 Mac OS X

Given your current setup there is no simple way to do this well.  The easy solution is to use it as is but you're looking at a 480i mac resolution with left and right audio.  If I were in your shoes I would open up the wall plates and use the existing cables to pull an hdmi cable through.  Then using a $30 adapter you can send full surround sound and 1080p video to your tv.  You could probably use your wireless mouse and keyboard from the other room as well.  This solution requires some handy work but is not too hard. If you're just into downloaded video or music and have a ps3 or xbox you can do what the goat said and get an app for your mac called media link that can handle all that and does it well

Not sure if it is something i should be worried about or not. Anyways, every time i go to the library i have trouble connecting to the Wifi. My MBP says that it is connect, but i have no internet and cannot go online. Then sometimes it connects and have internet access but all of a sudden stops working on me. Like today it i had to restart my mac and then it worked with no problems after. Thing is when i am home i haven't experienced this at all. Im thinking it might be the WIFI at the library but im not sure.

I know this has probably been asked, but I was looking for some kind of cleaner or something. I know they say anti virus programs aren't needed, but I was looking for something to at least run once in a while.

should i get the imac 27in n upgrade it to i7 for 200 more? is it worthy?
the performance bump isn't worth the $300 price tag for most everyday consumers. .3 Ghz will hardly be noticed in any tasks you perform. Stick with the i5 and spend that money on something else

Originally Posted by Bozo7000

I know this has probably been asked, but I was looking for some kind of cleaner or something. I know they say anti virus programs aren't needed, but I was looking for something to at least run once in a while.
Download OnyX

should i get the imac 27in n upgrade it to i7 for 200 more? is it worthy?

nope, it's not. if it was a 100 dollar upgrade (what it SHOULD be) then yeah why not. but more than that and you're getting ripped off. not to say imacs are a deal anyway

Question for y'all, I'm thinking of buying a MBP or MBA this summer, is it worth it for the price + the time that I'm buying it?
I really don't wanna buy something right before a new model comes out.

i've read that there will be a spec bump for the MBA in june, pros just got bumped a couple months ago

and a new model is always coming out soon. since you're looking to get an Air, chances are you won't be doing anything that'll really push the computer so any current tech will be more than enough.

Originally Posted by smlb52

where can I customize my mac book dock??
icons or the actual dock?
Candybar is a good place to start for both. Use iconfactory, DeviantArt, and general google searches to find icons

Need some help on deciding whether to get a 13in mba or 13in mbp. Any help on which one I should go with?

Originally Posted by Sneaky

Need some help on deciding whether to get a 13in mba or 13in mbp. Any help on which one I should go with?
I'd go with MBP. Reason being, with higher specs, you have more than enough power to do all the tasks you plan on doing with your MB.
I'd only go on a MBA, if you another Mac or CPU you do majority of your work on. 

is it possible to connect a external blu ray drive to my macbook pro? i was hoping to cop one so i can redbox blurays and then just rip them in 1080i or 720p

anyone here do this?

Originally Posted by AlexGod

is it possible to connect a external blu ray drive to my macbook pro? i was hoping to cop one so i can redbox blurays and then just rip them in 1080i or 720p

anyone here do this?

Yes, but you'll need to have windows 7 on your computer, OS X does not support blu-ray.

what is the best video editing or film editing program for apple?
Casual video editing, iMovie is pretty adequate. For max results and options, Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro.

Is there an app for mac that will let me have better options to shutdown my mac at specific times?
I'm mainly looking for something that's better than the system preferences.
I found Shuttie but I heard it sucks.
Is there anything better than shuttie?

Originally Posted by iYen

Is there an app for mac that will let me have better options to shutdown my mac at specific times?
I'm mainly looking for something that's better than the system preferences.
I found Shuttie but I heard it sucks.
Is there anything better than shuttie?
Have you fiddled around with Automator? You can create specific functions with that. If not maybe the Off widget will work for you

Considering getting a Macbook Pro for graduation this summer. Any suggestions on where to buy? Looking for the 15 inch, with fast enough hardware to run Final Cut Studio.

Back
Top Bottom