The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by xBraveHeartX

My charger for my Macbook Pro 13" went out. It's still under a years warranty, what can I do now to get a new charger? Since I'm under warranty would Apple be able to send me a new charger?
just make an appt with the apple store. they'll swap it out on site

thegoat or someone want to answer me a few simple mac questions?

How do I just change the wallpaper on my #$@$@#$ macbook? Too complicated...
And search for things on a page like on PC it would be CONTROL + F 

nerd.gif

Go to the settings (square app with the gears) go to display and you should see screen saver settings. Just change the wallpaper.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by yanky

Anyone know how to get IE 6 on a Mac??

do you need it as an actual program for your own purposes, or just to visit IE only sites? because you can download extensions for FF/Chrome that let you trick sites into thinking youre using IE, or even use Developer options in Safari to do basically the same thing. If you need the program itself, you'll have to run a windows partition/virtual desktop
I need it to go onto a website. What extensions do I download?

Bestbuy took my 06 Macbook for $524 last week. I had the
eek.gif
 face when I seen how much I could get for it. Considering I paid $200 for it and the upgrades cost around $150. I've been loving this macbook pro/ OS X Lion ever since. Everyone who's thinking about upgrading to an air or pro should try best buy.

the keyboard on my brothers mb pro stopped working, and the top row of buttons powers it off.. would this be warranteed, or even fixable??
ps im going to cop mb pro 15'' possibly in the near future, should i wait, how often do they upgrade these things

Originally Posted by Punishya

Go to the settings (square app with the gears) go to display and you should see screen saver settings. Just change the wallpaper.

I know that I mean from a google image or something

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Originally Posted by Punishya

I know that I mean from a google image or something
I just save the image on my computer profile and upload up whenever I want to change my background.  I'm using Chrome btw and I can't change the background through Chrome.

I'm looking to buy a MacBook pro 13" and here are the specs, any info if I should buy it or not would be great. He's asking $750 for it. I think it's the late 2009 or early 2010 version.

4 GB memory
500 GB hard Disk Drive
2.26 core 2 duo processor
8 GB Lion USB disk included
All previous snow leopard disks included
Speck see thru black case
Applecare until october 2012, 541 battery cycles

Originally Posted by DimSum9

Is there a proper way to remove a program?
Drag and drop application in the trash. If software comes with an uninstaller, use that.
yngSIMBA...Does your brother have APP or within his first year of purchase of his MBP? If so, it could be covered to be fixed. Try resetting the SMC on the cpu and see if that solves the issue. 

i changed my wallpaper to melanie iglesias hahah.
tumblr_lpcm3oE0R91qdh12co1_500.png

i'm trying to get windows 7 on my macbook, but what would you guys recommend: bootcamp install or one of the programs (parallels, vmware etc)? my computer has 2.53ghz core 2 duo/4gb ram/250gb memory and i'm planning on using it for games that aren't compatible with mac.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

^ That's an awesome wallpaper. I personally would just install Windows 7 through BootCamp..

thanks man. i originally wanted to just bootcamp install it but i didn't want to make a partition for it because i didn't know how much space to give it. if i went the programs method i would think it would use up more ram. i think i might just upgrade my hard drive then install windows 7 through bootcamp.

Anyone know how to get IE 6 on a Mac??

do you need it as an actual program for your own purposes, or just to visit IE only sites? because you can download extensions for FF/Chrome that let you trick sites into thinking youre using IE, or even use Developer options in Safari to do basically the same thing. If you need the program itself, you'll have to run a windows partition/virtual desktop
try this

Originally Posted by COBYATCH

i'm trying to get windows 7 on my macbook, but what would you guys recommend: bootcamp install or one of the programs (parallels, vmware etc)? my computer has 2.53ghz core 2 duo/4gb ram/250gb memory and i'm planning on using it for games that aren't compatible with mac.

IF youre gonna be running memory intensive programs like AutoCAD or gaming, use bootcamp as it will let you use 100% of the system's resources to the windows partition. Otherwise, parallels/VM will serve just fine. Do know you'll have to set aside a dedicated amount of hard drive space specifically to Windows though.

Originally Posted by yvespo3

I'm looking to buy a MacBook pro 13" and here are the specs, any info if I should buy it or not would be great. He's asking $750 for it. I think it's the late 2009 or early 2010 version.

4 GB memory
500 GB hard Disk Drive
that's a late '09. it's not a bad price but it's not an awesome price either. I'd try to get it for $700. 500+ cycles is on the high end of battery life..you'll probably end up replacing that soon

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

the keyboard on my brothers mb pro stopped working, and the top row of buttons powers it off.. would this be warranteed, or even fixable??
ps im going to cop mb pro 15'' possibly in the near future, should i wait, how often do they upgrade these things
As long as it's not water damage and you're still in warranty, it will be fixed. MBs are in ~mid cycle right now, so if you can hold off on buying until at least 4th quarter '11 i would. 

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Originally Posted by DimSum9

Is there a proper way to remove a program?
Drag and drop application in the trash. If software comes with an uninstaller, use that.
yngSIMBA...Does your brother have APP or within his first year of purchase of his MBP? If so, it could be covered to be fixed. Try resetting the SMC on the cpu and see if that solves the issue. 

APP? protection plan? i believe so, but ya it hasn't been a year yet
What's SMC, how do you reset it??

try this

Originally Posted by COBYATCH

IF youre gonna be running memory intensive programs like AutoCAD or gaming, use bootcamp as it will let you use 100% of the system's resources to the windows partition. Otherwise, parallels/VM will serve just fine. Do know you'll have to set aside a dedicated amount of hard drive space specifically to Windows though.

Originally Posted by yvespo3

4 GB memory
500 GB hard Disk Drive
that's a late '09. it's not a bad price but it's not an awesome price either. I'd try to get it for $700. 500+ cycles is on the high end of battery life..you'll probably end up replacing that soon

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

As long as it's not water damage and you're still in warranty, it will be fixed. MBs are in ~mid cycle right now, so if you can hold off on buying until at least 4th quarter '11 i would. 
Cool thanks

So imma be pulling the trigger on a "blackbook" and I have a couple questions.

From my understanding, it is dual core, and has 2GB of RAM. Is that enough to run Lion flawlessly? And if not, how much ram do I need? And how much does it usually cost to upgrade.

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

So imma be pulling the trigger on a "blackbook" and I have a couple questions.

From my understanding, it is dual core, and has 2GB of RAM. Is that enough to run Lion flawlessly? And if not, how much ram do I need? And how much does it usually cost to upgrade.
what year? 2006 blackbooks max out at 2GB, with 2007s at 3GBs. 4GB is standard these days. 2 will be enough, but be prepared to see a lot of spinning beach balls. Also, if its a first gen it wont be able to run Lion at all.

Back
Top Bottom