The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

^ Yeah my '08 was the all silver-body. The last one before those new models released a few weeks after going into 2009.

any good and free programs out there for recording audio/video calls? why can the NSA record ur skype calls but you can't? :smh:

Last edited:
Anyone else's iMessages not working? They're only coming thru my phone which is kind of annoying since I'm on my laptop all day at work. So much easier just responding to texts from there rather than my phone :\. I tried signing out/in but it gives me an error.

Last edited:
My friend had showed me these a while ago, have you guys tried them out?

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Search.cfm?Ntk=Primary&Ns=P_Popularity|1&Ne=5000&N=7854&Ntt=data+doubler

Instead of just replacing your HDD with a SSD, you can use a data doubler kit and remove the superdrive (CD bay), install a small bracket there, and install the SSD there. Giving you 2 HDDS in your laptop. You can then buy an enclosure for your superdrive and make it essentially a USB CD/DVD drive for you to carry with you. I hardly use physical CDs anymore, so losing this drive really wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Here is the other site that sells the SuperDrive casing and everything together if you choose:

http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/...t_Code=OBSXGB-UNB&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY

Last edited:
^ I can't speak on actually doing that but it seems like a good idea. Put the OS on the SSD and files like music, photos, etc on the HDD. There's really very little reason for a disc drive anymore. I don't have one on my MBA and I don't even realize it. Everything that used to be on discs is USB flash drive-able nowadays anyway. I need Windows for work and I thought I'd be in a bind but I installed it to VMware Fusion via flash drive. Had this older IT dude's mind blown that I don't have a disc drive :lol:.

Last edited:
Exactly. You can download any & everything or use a USB flash drive for the others. OS on the SSD and music/movies on the regular HDD just like you said. I might do this project finally myself in a month or so. My friend did it with the SSD and loves it.

Need some help if you can.

My macbook has be running exponentially slower since getting mavericks. Ive done all the update and its still painfully trash now.

Are they any programs I can use to get it performing to how it used to be?

Could it possibly be the battery? It's been needing a replacement for a while but I dont see how that would affect its performance.

Any help is extremely appreciated

Need some help if you can.

My macbook has be running exponentially slower since getting mavericks. Ive done all the update and its still painfully trash now.

Are they any programs I can use to get it performing to how it used to be?

Could it possibly be the battery? It's been needing a replacement for a while but I dont see how that would affect its performance.

Any help is extremely appreciated

Ram bro

For anyone wanting to upgrade the RAM on their MB/MBP, if you go to the Apple (top left), then click About this Mac, then More Info, then up top you should see Memory, click on that and it should give you the run down on what type it accepts. Then if you need further assistance on the bottom right of that box you should see "Memory Upgrade Instructions" (which takes you http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270?viewlocale=en_US

Last edited:
Anyone recommend me a good free DVD burning software?

I tried I DVD and no matter what quality I chose the file is always too big to burn.

I can get the burned with the program "burn" but it has bars on top and on the sides like when you watch a non HD channel on a HDTV.

Anyone know something free and good?

Nah, the only thing I have ever bought for my Macbooks from there are the magesafe power adapters. Might could also find them on Amazon as well if you trust them a little more.

I have a disk stuck in the combo drive that I need to get out.  The disk isn't recognized by the laptop. Can I manually disassemble the drive and get it out. I've tried everything else.

Last edited:
So my late 08 macbook i bought used off ebay a couple years ago has the fan running hot and loud whenever i stream vids, it only has 2 gb of ram. will more ram fix the loud fan or is that two separate issues?

So my late 08 macbook i bought used off ebay a couple years ago has the fan running hot and loud whenever i stream vids, it only has 2 gb of ram. will more ram fix the loud fan or is that two separate issues?

I upgraded my 08 MacBook to 4GB of RAM and I have the same problem so it's separate. Sucks because I like to lay in bed and watch videos before I pass out but it gets super hot really fast.

I am needing to replace the black feet/pods on my Macbook Pro....2 of them fell off...is there somewhere I can get these instead of replacing the bottom plate?

So my warranty for my MBP is about to be up soon. Got it from sqtrade. Thinking about just spilling water all over it on "accident" just to get it replaced with a new one. :lol: Anyone ever done this before? Wondering what they'll do with my HD though since it has all the info on it.

So my warranty for my MBP is about to be up soon. Got it from sqtrade. Thinking about just spilling water all over it on "accident" just to get it replaced with a new one. :lol: Anyone ever done this before? Wondering what they'll do with my HD though since it has all the info on it.
Is there something wrong with it?

Is there something wrong with it?

Not really other than the face then when I put it to sleep the fans start spinning at a high speed for about 30 seconds then shut off. Is that normal? Never happened during the first year, I even have 8gb of ram.

Not really other than the face then when I put it to sleep the fans start spinning at a high speed for about 30 seconds then shut off. Is that normal? Never happened during the first year, I even have 8gb of ram.
That happened to me a little while back, it kinda just went away....

Idk, that's kind of a scumbag move on your part though :lol:

That happened to me a little while back, it kinda just went away....

Idk, that's kind of a scumbag move on your part though :lol:

hahaha I know but I mean I did drop over $350 for the warranty and have never used it. I understand MBP's are built like tanks and will last a good while but I'm just itching for a new one over here.

Back
Top Bottom