The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

yea id like to stay under 1500.

how is the speed on the macbook air? the only thing that bothers me is the display is dated compared to the others.

what is expandable on a mac? i know people update hardware on their own but cant remember whether its storage or memory

With that budget, I would recommend the MacBook 12" or entry level MacBook Pro 13". The retina screen alone is worth it. I personally have a macbook 12", and I even do digital design and photo editing on it, and it suffices. It would exceed your needs. They both recently got a refresh earlier this year. I got my MacBook used on CL for 600, which I think was a great deal. Everything I need packed in a tiny device. I dont care for the touchbar either.

cool thanks for the replies.

i was gonna get the mac book pro entry but now i dunno if 128gb will suffice.

i have a 1TB mac 2015 at my parents and i just checked the available storage and it says i used 200gb on miscellaneous. lol that’s crazy because there’s nothing but word documents and a couple programs on there. this isn’t including the photos and videos btw.

is all that usage from preloaded programs?

cool thanks for the replies.

i was gonna get the mac book pro entry but now i dunno if 128gb will suffice.

i have a 1TB mac 2015 at my parents and i just checked the available storage and it says i used 200gb on miscellaneous. lol that’s crazy because there’s nothing but word documents and a couple programs on there. this isn’t including the photos and videos btw.

is all that usage from preloaded programs?
It could be and other data that you don't necessarily need (You can free up a couple of GBs by deleting the other languages)

And if you need more space, just get an external HDD and connect it to your router. Boom.

Also, I think the Macbook would be a good option for you. I would recommend a max-spec 2015 MBP, but you like the latest and greatest lol.

^ Yea would just depend on what you really need. I looked at it at 20 different angles, and figured I would be wasting my money for anything more than a MacBook. I am very happy with my purchase, and have yet to use it for more than I need so far. But like you said if youre approach is the latest and greatest, 1500 would get you in a 13" with not much options.

I have the 1st-Gen Non touchbar and I haven't used it consistently enough. I kind of think I should have just gotten a max-spec 2015 15"

Dangit.

It could be and other data that you don't necessarily need (You can free up a couple of GBs by deleting the other languages)

And if you need more space, just get an external HDD and connect it to your router. Boom.

Also, I think the Macbook would be a good option for you. I would recommend a max-spec 2015 MBP, but you like the latest and greatest lol.

I have the 1st-Gen Non touchbar and I haven't used it consistently enough. I kind of think I should have just gotten a max-spec 2015 15"

Dangit.

im not opposed to and older model lol i just feel like the difference in price in terms of what youre getting out of the newer model arent justifiable.

whats the deal with the 2015 macbook pro is that like a standout model you guys both mentioned it

im not opposed to and older model lol i just feel like the difference in price in terms of what youre getting out of the newer model arent justifiable.

whats the deal with the 2015 macbook pro is that like a standout model you guys both mentioned it
Solid machine and will last you a long while. Plus, you have your USB ports and all that. So you’d save money by not spending on hubs or adapters. Check the refurbished section on Apple.com there may be some listed for a good price.

Solid machine and will last you a long while. Plus, you have your USB ports and all that. So you’d save money by not spending on hubs or adapters. Check the refurbished section on Apple.com there may be some listed for a good price.

i just skimmed through BH and damn those things are all 1800+ still thats crazy

im putting my mavic drone on ebay, gonna see what it fetches me and use that towards the laptop. thats the plan right now

Just get a 12” Macbook. It’s perfect for your needs without blowing your budget. The secret is this.. Best Buy Open Box deal when they have a sale. You can get a perfect certified 12” MacBook for about $400 off.

For example:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...test-model-space-gray/4598800.p?skuId=4598800

Sale price right now is $100 off. Go down to buying options and see what’s available as open box excellent - certified, open box excellent, and open box satisfactory. The price keeps going lower and lower. If you combine this with a $300 off sale you’ll score big.

I happened to get a 12” $1,299 myself over a year ago for $940.

Last edited:
ARK Is 100% you can get good deal on a certified/ open box macbbok, MacBook pro or imac @ best buy.

I know this cause I worked at best buy and made numerous sales with people who wanted to invest in a MacBook but couldn't afford the MSRP price. Hooked them up the open price box discount and if they got the geek squad protection/insurance plan I'll take $50-100 off on top of the already discounted price. As long as they got the protection plan though. Save them money on the proctection plan.

I don't work at best buy any longer. Most best buy especially the inner city ones are always looking to make a deal with customers who wanna buy and spend money but not break the bank.

I was about to cop a mint opened 2017 MacBook 13 no touchbar inch of swappa.com for 1 grand(that's almost a steal) cause he was selling with extra stuff to like a skin and case). But I had to put that money towards me getting a apartment. Smh priorites.

I highly also suggest swappa.com you can snag a good deal there to, and dailysteals.com for used b-grade macbooks or iMacs.

Also if you really wanna save money on MacBooks buy the older models Everytime apple announces their new MacBook or imac line ups. @ best buy though. You'll save $$$$$.

Last edited:
It slowed my Early 2015 MacBook Air w/ 8GB RAM, but your Pro might be able to handle it better.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but if you do update, make sure you get the 10.13.1 update afterwards. For some reason when I updated it only gave me 10.13. The .1 update improved my performance a bit.
I'm an idiot, my MBP is currently running Sierra 10.12.6 :rofl:

and yea I just got the notification for high sierra 10.13.1 like 2 weeks ago but I kept ignoring it like a fool

After about a month of useage, I can say with confidence, that this touchbar is pretty useless and I miss my function keys

It’s cool to look at, but that’s about it

After about a month of useage, I can say with confidence, that this touchbar is pretty useless and I miss my function keys

It’s cool to look at, but that’s about it
Ahh, that's a bummer to hear. To this day, I don't understand the benefit of the touchbar. IDK why Apple added that feature.

Ahh, that's a bummer to hear. To this day, I don't understand the benefit of the touchbar. IDK why Apple added that feature.
I’m sure someone out there has found a use for it. Maybe someone in music/film?

But as a dev, nah. It’s pretty useless

Yeah I'm on an iSeries all day at work so the function keys are crucial for me. Sucks because I really wanna make the new MBP my next purchase.

So glad i didnt spend the extra bread on the touchbar earlier this year. I dont use my mbp very much as is honestly

Crazy cause im usually a sucker for new tech/features and convince myself that I need it. Luckily after reading a few things here, i’m happy with my computer and couple hundred extra

i getting a new macbook pro 15 next year this time instead of 13 getting a 15. i know where to get a 15 inch for the low with a touchbar. but honestly is it worth it?

Parents bought a new 21.5 inch iMac last week.

Thought they set it up already, but no. They're waiting for me to set it up over the Christmas weekend.:stoneface:

I kind of like the touchbar. That being said, I only use the finger print, sound, and brightness buttons lol.

I'm not sure if the non touchbars have fingerprint or not, but it's kinda convenient.

Back
Top Bottom