The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Went back to the recruiter today and they gave me a packet to fill out to sort of get the ball rolling on getting my name in front of a commission board. My question is this: will filling out the US Army ENSQ Enlistment Datasheet set me up to go in as enlisted, or is it just a basic questionnaire needed for essential information? Basically, will filling out this packet shoot me in the foot in terms of becoming an officer?

don't quote me but i think that you "technically" enlist first because  i think you have to attend boot camp with all recruits before you go to Army OCS at Fort Benning, GA.

did you speak specifically to an Army officer recruiter? I can only speak from my experiences with Navy/Corps officer recruiters.

This is definitely false, for example, Navy/USMC officers dont "enlist" and attend regular recruit training. They go through OCS, and if they are selected, then they receive a commission.

This is definitely false, for example, Navy/USMC officers dont "enlist" and attend regular recruit training. They go through OCS, and if they are selected, then they receive a commission.
yea but so I've heard, that Army OCS applicants have to go through basic combat training before they can go to Fort Benning. its basic on top of OCS. i think the Army is the only service branch where applicants don't go directly to the commissioning course/school, if selected.

if im spreading wrong info, my bad, just going off what I've heard.

The Army is the only service where individuals must enlist first, before attending Officer Candidate School (OCS).

Under the Army's Enlistment Program 9D, applicants enlist with a guarantee of attending OCS, after completion of enlisted basic training. The program is spelled out in the Army Recruiting Regulation, Army Regulation 601-210, paragraph 9-10.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/a/ocsenlistment.htm

Last edited:
FELLAS! LADIES! If any of you are getting out in less than a year, get your GI BIll paperwork started NOW! It is a long process, I'm in my second week of school and my benefits still havent started. I also HIGHLY recommend filling out FASFA, and getting the Pell grant, it will supplement your school while you wait for the GI Bill to kick in....plus you'll get a nice little refund check to help with expenses

thanks for the info. i def should start doing it since i start school this january. did you do FASFA and Pell grant online or at the school???

FELLAS! LADIES! If any of you are getting out in less than a year, get your GI BIll paperwork started NOW! It is a long process, I'm in my second week of school and my benefits still havent started. I also HIGHLY recommend filling out FASFA, and getting the Pell grant, it will supplement your school while you wait for the GI Bill to kick in....plus you'll get a nice little refund check to help with expenses

thanks for the info. i def should start doing it since i start school this january. did you do FASFA and Pell grant online or at the school???

I did it online, and the school got all the info right on time. Best thing I could have possibly done. Also, make sure you hold on to your DD214, you're going to need it for everything.

I did it online, and the school got all the info right on time. Best thing I could have possibly done. Also, make sure you hold on to your DD214, you're going to need it for everything.

aight coo. yea im gonna scan in and make multiple copies. how's that civilian life?

aight coo. yea im gonna scan in and make multiple copies. how's that civilian life?

Beautiful bro, BEAUTIFUL! Just dont let yourself get too complacent with the relaxed schedule ect.

Beautiful bro, BEAUTIFUL! Just dont let yourself get too complacent with the relaxed schedule ect.

man i bet. im ready :smokin im telling myself im gonna take school serious, something i never did before. i been in germany for a while clubbing and what not. so im gonna try to stay out the clubs and be in the books. well see how that goes :nerd:

man i bet. im ready :smokin im telling myself im gonna take school serious, something i never did before. i been in germany for a while clubbing and what not. so im gonna try to stay out the clubs and be in the books. well see how that goes :nerd:

Its not as hard as you think. I guarantee you'll be annoyed by alot of the kids who ARENT taking it seriously actually. Develop a good relationship with your schools Vet Affairs Dept, because you'll need them to process all of your paperwork, and they do alot of work for you

Good luck to my fellow sailors taking the E-6 advancement exam this thursday and the E-5/E-4's the following thursdays this month.
#GETTHIS$$$

I've been thinking about joining the Navy Reserve for Emergency Fire and Safety, would I deployed to Afganistan or Iraq, or any other warfare place with that job? I hope to become a Firefighter for NY, FDNY. Only Reason I want to do reserve is because I want to finish up my school.

I've been thinking about joining the Navy Reserve for Emergency Fire and Safety, would I deployed to Afganistan or Iraq, or any other warfare place with that job? I hope to become a Firefighter for NY, FDNY. Only Reason I want to do reserve is because I want to finish up my school.

The odds are that you WILL deploy, but most likely as a Fireman on a ship. The odds of you going to a warzone is pretty slim, I cant think of any reason you would, unless you get stationed with SeaBees, which is also a pretty slim possibility

still waiting to speak with a commanding officer for a tattoo waiver, anybody else had to do this?

still waiting to speak with a commanding officer for a tattoo waiver, anybody else had to do this?

As long as its not gang related or offensive you should be good. I got mine grandfathered in, but I've known plenty of dudes who came in that were tatted up. As long as you don get a douche you should be gravy.

The only problem that people have been running into related to waivers, is that the armed forces is in force reduction mode, so they arent offering as many waivers, because recruiting isnt as big as of a concern as it was from 2007-2010

not a tattoo waiver but i had to talk to a commanding officer for another moral wavier

it was pretty easy just make sure you say your "sirs" (yes sir, no sir, thank you sir etc) and answer the questions he asks you. ie why do you want to

join the service, if you join the  service how can you make a positive impact crap like that. he may ask you to describe the tattoo(s) as well

idk how anyone could mess it up unless your a complete diick 
laugh.gif

What about the National Guard? I'm considering that also to be a mechanic, can I be sent to war? I dont want to fight, I dont know how the military works :lol:

What about the National Guard? I'm considering that also to be a mechanic, can I be sent to war? I dont want to fight, I dont know how the military works :lol:

Yes you can deploy. No disrespect but if you don't want to deploy the Military may not be for you.

What about the National Guard? I'm considering that also to be a mechanic, can I be sent to war? I dont want to fight, I dont know how the military works
laugh.gif
If you don't want to fight join the Air National Guard or Air Force. You may get deployed but if you do it likely to be somewhere very cushy. I got to spend a day on LSA (Kuwait Air Field) this past week. The food was good and from what I understand E1-O9 get their own lavish living space.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom