The Official NBA Season Thread: Derrick Rose Retires 🌹 / KAT Traded to the Knicks for Randle and DiVincenzo

This. Way more games. Training culture has grown. More basketball schools. More player movement.

Can’t let nostalgia get the best of us
That’s fair but I grew up in NYC and parks used to be packed all day with people playing ball, and it just isn’t that way anymore. I could believe the top kids get funneled into playing “more” but I don’t think there is the same casual, play all the time culture there once was. It’s more professionalized, driven more by AAU, professional leagues in Europe etc.

I rarely agree with the old heads but someone in here posted a clip from KG & Pierce and pierce said there was a magic to kind of the casual playground nature of youth basketball then that doesn’t exist in the same way today and I think that’s absolutely true. Even if you weren’t very good in NY growing up, you played ball anyway and there was kind of a magic to that. Everyone played and now it feels like sports in general the top athletes get funneled at a younger age toward professionalization. Maybe this is my own nostalgia but do feel this is also the result of an aging population and the rise of screen time.

steph-curry-whatever.gif

That’s fair but I grew up in NYC and parks used to be packed all day with people playing ball, and it just isn’t that way anymore. I could believe the top kids get funneled into playing “more” but I don’t think there is the same casual, play all the time culture there once was. It’s more professionalized, driven more by AAU, professional leagues in Europe etc.

I rarely agree with the old heads but someone in here posted a clip from KG & Pierce and pierce said there was a magic to kind of the casual playground nature of youth basketball then that doesn’t exist in the same way today and I think that’s absolutely true. Even if you weren’t very good in NY growing up, you played ball anyway and there was kind of a magic to that. Everyone played and now it feels like sports in general the top athletes get funneled at a younger age toward professionalization. Maybe this is my own nostalgia but do feel this is also the result of an aging population and the rise of screen time.

It’s a train all the time culture once kids hit a certain age in their development. But yeah kids still hoop but once that talent gets recognized, you gotta start locking on strengths to get you to the next level. Then the elite kids are playing pickup together.

Last edited:

I see this in some of my local neighborhoods
10 -15 years ago parks used to be packed with ball players and people who also just wanted to play ball but were not good
now its less and less, there are some parks that stay active but i certainly have noticed this as well

I see this in some of my local neighborhoods
10 -15 years ago parks used to be packed with ball players and people who also just wanted to play ball but were not good
I have a park a few blocks from my house with multiple full courts (full wood backboards, double rims) and it’s like this.

The courts are often busy but not with serious ballers.

this video is instructive

it's not like the defense was totally melting because this guy had a proto modern crossover. He was a good player.

but fundamentally fancy dribbling was just not that valuable in a league with no 3 point line.

Bob Cousy didn't drive winning, Pete Maravich didn't, this guy didn't.
You're probably better off dribbling to a spot and pulling up like Jerry West and Oscar Robertson.

these guys should be recognized as innovators tho

That’s true even til today at the highest level, when you strip it down. The most winningest basketball is STILL about getting to your spots and moving the ball.

This just validates what I've read and heard from OG's in the past. A lot of players especially the black players were already doing crossovers and advanced moves on the playgrounds like Rucker Park and stuff in the off season runs, but in the league they wasn't having none of that. But MJ, Dr. J, and plenty others got they game from the playgrounds and learned the fundamentals in organized ball.

This is true. An if you’re in your late 20s or 30s…..you also lived this in your time with AND1 basketball. Similar evolution.

Idk how old you are, but *****s been being creative on the parks and having crazy dribble moves forever.

Certain types of coaches damn near discouraged creativity because of their lack of imagination, and some players suffered because of it

I remember Jon Sally some years back coming to the realization that he was an 75% FT shooter, who never attempted that same shot while being left completely open at that spot all the time.

Brook Lopez could’ve been out the league a decade ago like Al Jefferson or Hibbert….but he decided to stretch his range and work on his perimeter defense.

Back
Top Bottom