The Official NBA Season Thread: Happy Birthday WASHED KING

Based on the t-shirts they gave away at the home opener and some bus ads I just saw, it appears the Clippers slogan for this season is “Give No Quarter”. That must have come from Uncle Steve himself because I don’t see how else that gets green-lit in 2022.

If I wasn’t a 46 year old Led Zeppelin fan, I’d have no idea what that meant.

I got one of those shirts and have no idea what the reference is. The PA guy said it multiple times too :lol:

I got one of those shirts and have no idea what the reference is. The PA guy said it multiple times too :lol:
It’s a very old expression that basically means be relentless/no mercy.

As alluded to in my other post, I only know what it means because Led Zeppelin has a song called “No Quarter”.

It’s a very dumb slogan for an NBA team in 2022. :frown:

The picture shifts dramatically when one turns to the African American military experience. Official Confederate policy regarded black soldiers and their white officers as illegitimate combatants, with the former subject to reenslavement and the latter to execution as inciters of slave insurrection. In practice, however, the usual fate for black soldiers who could no longer make effective resistance was either a merciless death on the battlefield or cold-blooded execution afterward. Journalist George S. Burkhardt has crafted the most complete exploration of this grisly subject yet written.

Southern troops gave no quarter to African Americans virtually from the time the first black units appeared in combat. Although Confederate soldiers acted largely without orders, Burckhardt argues persuasively that their government had a “de facto policy” of giving no quarter to blacks because the practice “was condoned, never punished, and always denied” (1). Gen. Edmund Kirby Smith, for example, reacted sharply to reports that Lt. Gen. Richard Taylor had taken black prisoners. “I hope this may not be so,” he wrote, “and that your subordinates . . . may have recognized the propriety of giving no quarter to armed negroes and their officers. In this way we may be relieved of a disagreeable dilemma” (61).

The “disagreeable dilemma” stemmed from the fact that while the Confederacy did not regard U.S. Colored Troops as legitimate combatants, the Union government insisted they were and might make reprisals upon rebel prisoners in order to compel proper treatment for black soldiers. This was indeed the North’s official stance, though Burkhardt observes how frequently it was observed in the breach—in stark contrast to the swift retaliation that generally followed any unlawful killing of whites.

Steve Ballmer and the Clippers organization is anti-black

apparently the clippers have lost 9 of the 12 quarters they’ve played since they introduced the Give No Quarter slogan.

It’s a very old expression that basically means be relentless/no mercy.

As alluded to in my other post, I only know what it means because Led Zeppelin has a song called “No Quarter”.

It’s a very dumb slogan for an NBA team in 2022. :frown:
Feels like one of those things that can be easily misinterpreted

Like when the great band The Wonders were first called the Oneders

Back
Top Bottom