The Official NBA Season Thread: Free Agency Day

Yea, generational is definitely overused.
For as long as I have been alive to see the NBA the only generational talents I would say would be:
Jokic, Jordan, LeBronze, Shaq, Kobe, KD, Duncan, Magic, Bird, Dream, Steph.

Essentially folks that would have an argument of Top 3 all time @ that position. I guess folks like KG, Dirk, Wade, Karl Malone, Barkley, AI (everything about him in combination to his production makes him once in a lifetime), Greak.

I'm sure I am missing others. (It wasn't done on purpose)

Since we’re on the subject of misused and overused words, I’d like to go on record as saying I’d be pleased to never hear/read the terms “curated” and “hack” again.

Thank you.

Generational
Mikan
Russell
Wilt
Dr. J (arguable but game style reasons)
Kareem
Magic
Bird
Jordan
Shaq
AI (arguable same as Dr. J, game style)
Kobe
Lebron
Steph
TBD (Wemby)

Generational is a mix of talent and charisma (aka able to sell the league, propel it, be the face). With the unique rare or never seen talent being 90% important and 10% being the charisma. And you gotta win. History is written by the winners.

ADVERTISEMENT​

Well that would classify Gerald Green and JR Smith as generational.

They both were elite athletes with skills that matched. What they lacked was consistency and the IQ to match. But we know neither were nowhere near generational based on any definition.

Nah both them dudes were just athletic af, if they were 7’0 + doing that then yeah. Muggsy was generational in a sense.

So that definition would seem to exclude MJ, Magic and Bird. They all have body types that are not freakish by NBA standards.

This where the debates come in, if you wanna put Giannis, Wemby, KD as generational cause they are skilled/whatever at their respective heights then that would cancel out the MJ’s and Bird’s of the NBA. So alot of peoples arguments about generational contradict themselves. Generational to me is a mix of those plus an “it” factor.

Nah both them dudes were just athletic af, if they were 7’0 + doing that then yeah. Muggsy was generational.

Gerald Green and JR Smith were Athletic Shot Creators. They were far from "Just Athletic." They weren't have been around for as long as they were if that's all they were.

I am not saying they were generational, I was saying based on your "Athletic with skills to match" comment from above; they would be considered generational. (But let's move past those two)

Muggsy was an exception to the rule. Wouldn't call him generational by any stretch.

Generational
Mikan
Russell
Wilt
Kareem
Magic
Bird
Jordan
Shaq
Kobe
Lebron
Steph
TBD (Wemby)

Generational is a mix of talent and charisma (aka able to sell the league, propel it, be the face). With the unique rare or never seen talent being 90% important and 10% being the charisma. And you gotta win. History is written by the winners.

What makes Dr. J arguable?

When it happens, I will look toward you either way. You just want what's best for businesses. So do I.

The WNBA might honestly be better off marketing towards the MAGA crowd for more support for Clark. I know yall get sensitive about that stuff but Midwest girl, MAGA folks. Match made in Heaven.

I agree. Cover all bases.

You know the market is there to be tapped, we saw it with the women’s college basketball ratings vs the men.

Go get them. Bleed them out.

Shouldn’t generational be based on impact and play?

Jokic and Luka are both generational talents. Representation of Europe, triple double machines with video game numbers, unstoppable.

And Gil also the one crying about foreigners? When he should be decrying the capitalist system that has festered to bring up young players in this country?

I just watched a clip of Gil sounding like a ****ing idiot for one minute and 22 seconds

He wins again
IMG_0190.gif

Generational
Mikan
Russell
Wilt
Kareem
Magic
Bird
Jordan
Shaq
Kobe
Lebron
Steph
TBD (Wemby)

I would also argue the length of time being elite.

Like if Curry did what he did for only one or two years, will he be considered generational?

Well Jordan definitely had freakish athleticism and (super #) his hand size for his position was freakish.

Magic's height at his position coupled with his elite skill made him a generational talent.

The original convo was a bit unclear but I think generational talent is something that should be given to someone AFTER they have shown they ARE in fact a generational talent.

Folks can't get that label based on just physical attributes. It's based on production first and foremost.

So Steph is without a doubt GENERATIONAL. ( QU!K QU!K )
Steph not top 10

He's a generational shooter like Rodman is a generational rebounder.

Rodman ain't top 10.

Steph is not generational physically but his skill and play style is ..Every couple years we get somebody coming in the draft that’s “the next Steph” but it doesn’t even come close :lol: …That dude is special, it’s alotta 6’2 dudes that can shoot but is nothing like yo

Steph has two things that benefited his game, first he was very strong, I remember he would bench press the second heaviest weights among teammates.

The second is his stamina. Anybody who trains with Steph would always mention this. The guy just doesn’t get tired and that heavily impacts the accuracy of your shots late in the game.

Back
Top Bottom