The Official NBA Season Thread: Las Vegas Summer League

Watching Team USA since 2004 has been a roller coaster. I remember my buddy and me watching them get pick and rolled to death by Greece in the 2006 World semis. That game started at midnight, and they got worked. The gold medal game against Spain in 2008 in China, which also tipped off at midnight, my roommates and I were going wild because it was so close. Same with 2012, another close game with Spain. They had to really fight to get to the gold medal game in 2016 as well, but the final was lopsided. In Tokyo, Durant, Tatum and Jrue carried them in the final. Basketball is on a different level now, and it's great. It should be competitive. We should not expect blowouts anymore.

A similar thing has happened in women's soccer. Team USA is not dominant anymore. There are a bunch of countries that challenge them now. It's a good thing because it makes for more exciting tournaments.

Honestly, I like the FIBA format so much more than the NBA: 40 minute games, five fouls, five timeouts (only on dead balls), no goal tending once the ball hits the rim, some hand checking allowed, no foul baiting, no gather step. The shorter three point line is the great equalizer, as well as no defensive 3-seconds. FIBA does a lot of things right. The only rule I wish the NBA would adopt is the goal tending rule.

Keep the NBA 3. (Professionals should be a step above, like 2 feet vs 1 feet down in college football vs NFL).

12 minute quarters and 6 fouls should still be standard. Everything else I agree

Back
Top Bottom