The Official NBA Season Thread: NBA Draft

There was anti-Jokic MVP push last season from certain members of the media and groups on social media unlike anything I’d seen before in my time as an NBA fan. It’s a fact; it happened.

Does that mean Embiid wasn’t ultimately deserving of the award? No.

But the MVP race got weird and negative in a way it didn’t have to and I think it’s fair for that to get talked about.

100% and yes that was nasty no denying that here

That didn't come from embiid begging though like few seem to think in here

Embiid selfish play won him that award. He wanted it more than the Championship at the end of the day. He said it meant the world to him in a interview

The media/fans pushed the ugly narrative while embiid just played and said a few words in a interview because he KEPT getting asked the question

Thats my whole point about this argument everytime someone mentions he “begged” or its a “pity” mvp award

Waste of time trying to duplicate the NFL strategy. Those diehards watched two family men QBs on Thursday

I don't think you can completely replicate it, but I hope you get what I mean by making the game bigger than the players (for now).

Man we are talking about a league that gave their players a FASHION SHOW, & have made pre game entrances a focal point :lol:

The players have & always will be what separates the NBA, they DGAF about the bohemian basketball fan who watches regular season WNBA games & turkish basketball leagues, their sole focus is on grabbing casual fans.

Zion was supposed to be the face of the league.

Unfortunately he has only proven to be the face of the L thus far.

So many off court Ls and no one court Ws... :smh:

Has any other player not named Jordan was ever handed a signature show from Nike, let alone Jordan solely off of media hype?

But news outlets fired most of their staff members who pushed the narrative.

I actually miss listening to Jalen Rose's takes.

Now we got the corpse of Screaming A and Doc's ashy voice.
Perkins-e1643926980768-987x1024.png

There's always some drama to push in the association ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I personally don't worry too much about ratings or how these leagues market. It's not really for the diehards like most in this thread

I don't have any facts to back this up, but I do feel like Silver wants to take the NFL playbook and make the games and teams bigger than the players.

It's harder to do so though because the NFL has a few challenges with players wearing helments (covering their faces) and them playing a specialized role in a big lineup where the NBA only has 5 players who play both offence and defence.

It does feel like Silver will work with what he got so if a player does show up, they might crown him the same way there were shining the crown for Zion.

But no face? no problem.

Any marketing push they are doing right now is short term as it is 100% related to the new media rights for the summer of 2025 (which is funny because it's most likely the year LeBron is retiring).
They’ll never close the gap with the NFL without any white American stars. Nothing else actually matters

It's not just one guy though. The LeBron vs Steph thing has driven the NBA for the last basically decade. Before that it was the dream of Kobe vs LeBron.
I’m not arguing against you, my friend.

League going to have to tap the French market, hope Ja gets it together, Zion gets his life right, and ant/fox/SGA rivalries to happen.

But this is at least 3 years away.

I think my biggest change to the IST would be push the games a little further back into the season. Maybe group play in December and then the tournament right after Christmas. A lot of people don't start paying attention to the NBA until Christmas anyway, that way you can capitalize on the casual fan.

LeBron to Vegas seems like an inevitable thing.

If any other team in the league could get a third of the amount of national televised games the Lakers get the league would be in a better space.

It’s nearly 2024. Markets don’t hold the weight they used to. You can play anywhere. Silver sent a “generational” talent to San Antonio.

Back
Top Bottom