The Official NBA Season Thread: Player Option Day

I’ll never give a guy with mental problems the same empathy in their career path as a generational talent who had the mindset and was put down by a terrible injury.

I was there. I witnessed it. He wanted to win as much as anyone in today’s NBA. I never got even an oz of that from BS. If anything his attitude consistently made it seem like he didn’t care about playing.
Folks around the game had been sounding the alarm about that last part since he was in HS :lol:

Don't think it's a surprise that he gets less grace than other injury prone guys (Rose, Oladipo, Lonzo, B-Roy, Hill etc) when he never really showed that hunger or drive to be that guy when he was healthy.

Showing up to work just to get paid is totally fine as well since not everyone's got the same priorities or mindset and it's usually accepted for most guys in the league but there's consequences for it for the few guys that are given the keys to their franchises and are expected to be their face or a key contributor.

You get a different set of expectations for your role there. Comes with positives (max money and endorsements galore) and negatives (shorter leash from fans/media for struggles)

This bodes great for the playoffs...

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Word. Especially for something we all know is true, but gotta protect the brand.
i mean think about that ,one hundred thousand dollars for a slight commentary on the league's ways.

that's like monopoly money for the nba as an organization and most high profile players, but that's just robbery to me. does that money go anywhere useful, like charity for instance or something? it really should at this point

I’ll never give a guy with mental problems the same empathy in their career path as a generational talent who had the mindset and was put down by a terrible injury.

I was there. I witnessed it. He wanted to win as much as anyone in today’s NBA. I never got even an oz of that from BS. If anything his attitude consistently made it seem like he didn’t care about playing.

this is messed up. you never know what another person's going through. it's all fodder for jokes or whatever, but people often look past these athletes being actual humans and would rather side with what looks good or neatly packaged for consumption. people can be messy at times , but that's no reason to disregard or be so dismissive because one's a fan. that doesn't come with the price of admission

this is messed up. you never know what another person's going through. it's all fodder for jokes or whatever, but people often look past these athletes being actual humans and would rather side with what looks good or neatly packaged for consumption. people can be messy at times , but that's no reason to disregard or be so dismissive because one's a fan. that doesn't come with the price of admission
It's not messed up at all. I have empathy for people struggling mentally, I just don't have any empathy for it when it comes to guys not showing up to do their job they're paid millions to do. No one gives the depressed guy at the office a year off to find himself and then make excuses for poor performance over the next 2 years. We wouldn't give guys a pass for showing up for the season fat and out of shape. Why give anyone a break when they didn't bother to take care of themselves in the off-season mentally?

My point is that you can talk about the back issues but that's not the reason he dipped out in Philly. And that makes him wholly different from an animal like DRose who suffered a fluke injury but had the hunger for the game and competition. If you mentally don't have that, fine, but you aren't who you claimed to be.

Oh, ok.

You too are proving my and WASHED KING WASHED KING point.

And all this has nothing to do with Ben's back injury

You too are proving WASHED KING WASHED KING and my point.

We get it, you like/respect other players more. That is exactly our point.
I think it all goes hand in hand. Back injuries are highly linked to stress and when you walk out on your team and being a professional, injuries are a lot more likely when you come back.

It's really hard to ignore everything before the back injury. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he had a pinched nerve in 2019 but his real back injuries requiring surgery didn't begin until the nets and a herniated disc. He showed up to practice in 21 and got thrown out because he refused to follow his coach's instruction, then claimed mental issues to stop the fines when he refused to be on the team.

Dude has no excuse for what happened in Philly even if you cut him a break from '22 on.

I think it all goes hand in hand. Back injuries are highly linked to stress and when you walk out on your team and being a professional, injuries are a lot more likely when you come back.

It's really hard to ignore everything before the back injury. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he had a pinched nerve in 2019 but his real back injuries requiring surgery didn't begin until the nets and a herniated disc. He showed up to practice in 21 and got thrown out because he refused to follow his coach's instruction, then claimed mental issues to stop the fines when he refused to be on the team.

Dude has no excuse for what happened in Philly even if you cut him a break from '22 on.
Good grief

Are you seriously trying to argue here that Simmons back issues are because he forced his way out of Philly?

Or is a joke going over my head?

Good grief

Are you seriously trying to argue here that Simmons back issues are because he forced his way out of Philly?

Or is a joke going over my head?
Joke? You walk away from competitive training at the highest level and come back to it half gone, you think that doesn't put you at greater injury risk? Cut corners on lifting, cardio, scrimmaging and then get into live action and yeah... a lot of things can go wrong. Taking a job that's so physically demanding unseriously could definitely lead you to an injury, especially if you're mentally unwell!

Talk to an actual professional athlete about the work that goes in during the offseason. One of my best friends growing up pitched in MLB for a decade. He'd be the first to tell you this. Including his own injuries! And it's wild what even an MLB pitcher does work wise, let alone an NBA guard.

Joke? You walk away from competitive training at the highest level and come back to it half gone, you think that doesn't put you at greater injury risk? Cut corners on lifting, cardio, scrimmaging and then get into live action and yeah... a lot of things can go wrong. Taking a job that's so physically demanding unseriously could definitely lead you to an injury, especially if you're mentally unwell!

Talk to an actual professional athlete about the work that goes in during the offseason. One of my best friends growing up pitched in MLB for a decade. He'd be the first to tell you this. Including his own injuries! And it's wild what even an MLB pitcher does work wise, let alone an NBA guard.
Dude, with all due respect

It just sounds like you dislike Ben Simmons

And you are trying dress that up as some more principled sports take

But this post is kinda silly

And again, proving WASHED KING WASHED KING right

Dude, with all due respect

It just sounds like you dislike Ben Simmons

And you are trying dress that up as some more principled sports take

But this post is kinda silly

And again, proving WASHED KING WASHED KING right
There's nothing silly about it. If you don't take competing against other men that large and strong with the respect it deserves, with the seriousness the sport requires at that level, you put yourself at risk of injury.

I don't personally dislike the guy at all. I really have no opinion of him as a person. He's never played for my team, but as a Bulls fan I'd much rather have guys like Ball and Rose who want to compete against a guy who will milk not wanting to play for a team under "mental duress" to keep the paychecks flowing in. Nothing about him seems like the kind of professional you want in your organization.

I feel bad for guys like Ball and Rose because they never acted the way he did or showed the lack of commitment Simmons has.

There's nothing silly about it. If you don't take competing against other men that large and strong with the respect it deserves, with the seriousness the sport requires at that level, you put yourself at risk of injury.

I don't personally dislike the guy at all. I really have no opinion of him as a person. He's never played for my team, but as a Bulls fan I'd much rather have guys like Ball and Rose who want to compete against a guy who will milk not wanting to play for a team under "mental duress" to keep the paychecks flowing in. Nothing about him seems like the kind of professional you want in your organization.

I feel bad for guys like Ball and Rose because they never acted the way he did or showed the lack of commitment Simmons has.
the-office-steve-carell.gif

All right Stuart McGill, you got it.

Back
Top Bottom