The Official NBA Season Thread: Free Agency Day

Gotta remember these kids are 18-20 years old.

Westbrook was an immensely popular player when they were growing up. Paul George was on the cover of 2K. They were 10-11 years old during the Heat-Spurs Finals era.

Like someone else said yesterday, in a few years someone is gonna say Melo Ball is their GOAT. :lol:

Washington Wizards lineup can’t even compete with a bottom G-League team. Tickets better be $35 and come with a free jersey. I can’t imagine anyone watching the Wizards this season, let alone actually going to game.
Making those trades and trying to get this going is lmao
IMG_0117.jpeg

Who would pay this just to see Gafford and Nunn??

The Beal trade just makes less and less sense by the hour. No future firsts, no young players, nothing?!

Even with a NTC and Beal saying send me to Phx, could they not have held out for Ayton instead of all the useless spare parts the Suns had left? What’s the backlash for not honoring the trade request until the other parties acquiesce?

Wash wanna do it out the mud apparently.

Reactions: DLF
The Beal trade just makes less and less sense by the hour. No future firsts, no young players, nothing?!

Even with a NTC and Beal saying send me to Phx, could they not have held out for Ayton instead of all the useless spare parts the Suns had left? What’s the backlash for not honoring the trade request until the other parties acquiesce?

Wash wanna do it out the mud apparently.
Wiz probably didn't want any significant salaries back. At least that's what it looks like ...

I’ve always wondered if there are ways for coaches and refs to get better in the offseason? Players can work on their games, hire strength trainers, heal up and increase their conditioning but how do coaches and refs get better in the offseason? Is a guy like Mazulla spending days and nights reviewing game tape or working with other coaches to improve his game? Is a vet ref like Scott Foster hosting ref camps in the offseason? These are things that I’ve always wondered.

The way I see it Wizards lost nothing in giving away injury prone aging Beal and Porkfingers. At some point they gotta rebuild, better now than be a treadmill team every year

I’ve always wondered if there are ways for coaches and refs to get better in the offseason? Players can work on their games, hire strength trainers, heal up and increase their conditioning but how do coaches and refs get better in the offseason? Is a guy like Mazulla spending days and nights reviewing game tape or working with other coaches to improve his game? Is a vet ref like Scott Foster hosting ref camps in the offseason? These are things that I’ve always wondered.
Yes

They tried to get me to buy season tickets months ago. Like most people in the DC area, I’m not a Wizards fan. Just a basketball fan. Considered it for a minute but so glad I didn’t pull the trigger.
I’ll just be buying cheap tickets when the Heat are in town per usual.

Making those trades and trying to get this going is lmao
IMG_0117.jpeg

Who would pay this just to see Gafford and Nunn??

I went to the Open House and Capital One Arena last night and the view from those Lounge seats is trash for starting at $5-800 per game. It's just a gimmick that is probably best for a one off. As I said yesterday, the value in season tickets is probably good for about 18-22 of the home games against the other teams in the league with stars. Injuries and load management are the main concern though so I'd probably rather just pay for the full 41 and deal with it as the season goes as opposed to getting a package of ~10 games then getting screwed.

As for the trades, I think the discourse is a bit misguided. The current FO seems to be getting criticized for having to deal with issues that were handled to them.

Yes, the return trade wasn't great. However, he is one of 10 player sin NBA history that had a no trade clause. He was 100% the captain in not only getting dealt but what he got dealt or. Washington's hands were tied in terms of teams they could negotiate with which therefore limited the assets they could get back (PHX had no picks from the KD trade).

Yes, Washington missed out on both the FRPs picks in the KP trade. However, if they didn't acqueisce to the 3-team trade with Memphis then KP enters UFA and they end up with nothing. KP was the driver in the trade for all three teams so Washington's hands were tied...as a result of moves the previous FO made.

So yes they have been down bad so it is easy to pile on these moves but this is business 101. They were struggling so they fired their leader and brought a new one in. You don't do that to keep the status quo. He has to come in and clean up the previous owner's mess which means clearing house and the top (front office) and in this case on personnel level (roster). Their two best assets had all the leverage in where they ended up. The front office just had to make the best of it but it's the past decisions that put them in the position were they had to make these unfavorable moves.

I would look re-sign Kuz now and pass of Khris Middleton. I could see them going after Khris is Kuz doesn't work out but wouldn't do anything more than 3yrs but he's about to be 32 so I know he's looking for 4.

How did they do wrong by Smart? After 9 years they aren’t allowed to trade him?

You dudes will say anything sometimes :lol:
IMO Smart was not the issue for why they didn’t win. It was bad coaching. It’s just a bad look because to other players and Celtics fans he was viewed as the leader of the team. This isn’t trading DeRozan for Kawhi. They could trade Smart for Keljin Blevins and you’d find a way to defend it

Last edited:
IMO Smart was not the issue for why they didn’t win. It was bad coaching. It’s just a bad look because to other players and Celtics fans because he was viewed as the leader of the team. This isn’t trading Kawhi for Demar. They could trade Smart for Keljin Blevins and you’d find a way to defend it
He’s a good role player. Probably the 5th best player on the team. They get traded all the time. It’s a business.

You’re just being emotional. Which is fine.

IMO Smart was not the issue for why they didn’t win. It was bad coaching. It’s just a bad look because to other players and Celtics fans because he was viewed as the leader of the team. They could trade Smart for Keljin Blevins and you’d find a way to defend it
Was he the leader or the most tenured? And if he was, you’re about to put up $600Ms in your wings, it’s time for them to step up.

There’s not even a respectable draft class next year unless somebody shows out. Tanking for Andrew Bennet 2.0

It doesn't matter, man. Whether they retained Beal and KP or got a better trade, they are destined for the lottery next year. Without these moves they would have continued to finish 10-12 in the East so t's not even tanking for a player. It's tanking because that is the best course of action to have any sort of shot at improving the roster for the future.

Dame has become a pretty annoying player. Just request a trade or don't.

tay1 tay1 apparently teams are waiting in the wings so we'll see what attractive offers they get soon. If all the talk is "they need to do right by Dame" then I would imagine he goes to a contender but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom