The Official NBA Season Thread: Puerto Rico vs Serbia at 11:15 | USA vs South Sudan at 3

I don't know what this means, i didn't say anything about that
people are free to have negative opinions about my negative opinions
Dude you said this....

if NBA players don't care about the history of the league, that's fine.
if they don't care about the future players who are harmed by less popular league, okay that's their choice.

if they are only narrowly concerned about their own salaries, and they want maximize that at the expense of any other consideration. okay, that's your choice.

but in what world do you get to do public antisocial things and face zero criticism?
it's feels like this weird Milton Friendman ideology come to basketball "a company has no social responsibility to the public or society; its only responsibility is to its shareholders"

we live in a free country, you can do antisocial things for your own benefit.

but that will generally piss people off, it's actually a normal human reaction.

You are presenting it like people in here are saying that other people have no right to take issue with the game.

Then you compare them to libertarians to take a wipe

That is what I am talking about

That is not what is happening. You can feel how you feel. And people can find your arguments unconvincing

Silver is trying to “fix things” for the optics it seems like or he’s simply trying to print even more money

They are still printing money at the end of the day, right? A negative commercial isn’t preventing them from tv deals, right?

Same thing with crowning the regular season best Tuesday and Thursday November team

Also, y'all realize those Rico Hines and John Lucas runs are done during the summer when the season is over & everyone is healthy and well rested right? No one is playing in those pick up games during the actual season.

so explain how the past NBA players,
who played more minutes, got less days off during ASW,

were perfectly capable of modulating their effort and avoiding injury?
they never really got hurt, why is reasonable to think the risk of injury to the modern players is significant?

if anything the risk of injury should be lower.

and just 4 years ago when they first put in the target score the players tried harder.
That says to me this is a social thing and not an injury thing.

when it was a new gimmick they tried a bit harder. risk of injury didn't change.

You can't expect guys who need to meet the 65 game minimum to play hard during an exhibition game. Most All Stars are already top dollar guys, so Silver needs to find a way to incentivize them with something else.

Stars will probably be willing to substitute a few non televised NBA games for a night of intensity where all eyes are on them if they can still qualify for post season awards.

Why not? Guys did it in the past making waaaaay less than these dudes today. It's a microcosm of the entire league in general why should the commissioner have to institute a arbitrary number of games played minimum for these dudes to not just be sitting out healthy like they were before with the load management BS. I mean look at Kawhi this season, clearly when they're forced to do something that ultimately affects their bottom line, even begrudgingly the players will acquese. The ASG is supposed to be a showcase of the league's best and they've made a mockery of it. Coming out and saying hey we need even more money on the line for us to care about an exhibition game is brazy and audacious.

Did they ever say why they ditched the elam ending?

Those games were watchable and more competititve under that format

Dude you said this....

You are presenting it like people in here are saying that other people have no right to take issue with the game.

Then you compare them to libertarians to take a wipe

That is what I am talking about

That is not what is happening. You can feel how you feel. And people can find your arguments unconvincing

yes I took the comment;

Spit in our face is wild :lol:. ASW is legitimately a glorified corporate event.

to mean that it unreasonable to be annoyed by this,
think it's perfectly reasonable. we can disagree but I don't think it's strange or weird for people to not like this.

that's the point I was trying to make. I wasn't saying you can't disagree with me.

1000000640.jpg

I think a 3 hour negative commercial on the NBA, that generates a subsequent hours of negative media attention. is bad for the league.

Adam Silver, the guy with with the most information, seems to think that this is bad, and has constantly making efforts to fix it.
Now he could be wrong, but clearly he doesn't take your view
You’re basing this off of his public facing comments or the actions of leaning in to make the event an even larger corporate pageant for the sponsors each year? His little whiny comments publicly aren’t moving the needle, clearly.
so if we are appealing to authority, why should I trust that the players analysis is more reasonable than the leagues? league has more information certainly.
I’m trusting the analysis because typically when the league wants something to change in a meaningful way, then the owners and the league office win out. We’ve legit seen the players get crushed in CBA negotiations over the last decade plus. This is “negative publicity” for the league for all of a few days and now we head into the second half of the season, where possibly 3 of the biggest players of the generation are slated to be in the play in tournament. This is all much adieu about nothing, IMO.

yes I took the comment;

think it's perfectly reasonable. we can disagree but I don't think it's strange or weird for people to not like this.

that's the point I was trying to make. I wasn't saying you can't disagree with me.
This is silly to me

If you were referring to a specific comment. Then why not quote it directly

The way you posted it clearly would seem like general commentary on people that disagree with you

just 4 years ago they tried.

was the injury risk lower 4 years ago?

Goddamn this was such a great 4th quarter. But you have to remember, basketball is a business. Nobody wants to watch this. 75-foot 2-for-1’s is what brings eyes and ad revenue to the ASG .

You took me saying that claiming that the players are SPITTING IN OUR FACE = unreasonable to be annoyed. I’m assuming you’re being hyperbolic because there’s no way you read that and thought those two things are close to being the same.

You’re basing this off of his public facing comments or the actions of leaning in to make the event an even larger corporate pageant for the sponsors each year? His little whiny comments publicly aren’t moving the needle, clearly.
look agree to disagree, but to me this sound like "his public comments and public actions and don't tell us anything and he actually has secret unstated preferences that you have insight into."
i don't find that convincing. i think its simple and more believable that he thinks this is bad and he wants to fix it.

I’m trusting the analysis because typically when the league wants something to change in a meaningful way, then the owners and the league office win out. We’ve legit seen the players get crushed in CBA negotiations over the last decade plus. This is “negative publicity” for the league for all of a few days and now we head into the second half of the season, where possibly 3 of the biggest players of the generation are slated to be in the play in tournament. This is all much adieu about nothing, IMO.

but.....they have change the all star game in meaningful ways? like what more would they need to do for you to believe that they care?

Back
Top Bottom