The Official NBA Season Thread: USA vs Serbia at 11:15 ET on NBC/Peacock | Durant Cleared for Action

I don't know what you mean by this, or what context is missing.
I don't think Gils statements are definitive proof either way.

but if you are going to take self report seriously
I think self reports the player actually experience should be taken more seriously than predictions about future states of mind.
The fact that the man’s career was in the dumps, he couldn’t stay healthy and he was a shell of his former self likely had more to do with his happiness then the amount of money he was making.

im telling you what the research says.

happiness plateaus at 500k.
and doesn't increase if you are unhappy and rich.

should the prediction of a hypothetical NBA player outweigh the research?

how much weight should I give an individual NBA player making a prediction about here future happiness levels?
i can't even buy NT for 500k how could i be happy without owning this platform?!?!?!?

if you had to bet, and we had a perfect happiness machine monitor that could disentangle all the variables
do you think within the 50 to 100 million career earnings range happiness would be correlated with increase in utility from higher salaries?
Yes

If you meant to ask if there would be a linear or near linear correlation? If so, then no.

The fact that the man’s career was in the dumps, he couldn’t stay healthy and he was a shell of his former self likely had more to do with his happiness then the amount of money he was making.
If the Magic won but Gil was still washed and getting limited mins off the bench yo still woulda been depressed :lol:

The man’s body and career was breaking down with nothing he could do about it, no ring can solve that problem

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh would you rather have 50K or dinner with Jay Z?
GettyImages-114294358.jpg

yall arguing with dude like yall haven't had to deal with delk in the political thread. some folks can't see beyond their own position and refuse to acknowledge anything that doesn't align with their opinion.

need the season to start already so we no longer have to litigate whether or not someone would be happy with $100m in their washington mutual account.

Last edited:
Even prior to that. John Wall and Eric Bledsoe started that “modern Kentucky” guard trend.

Which was started by Dejuan Wagner and Coach Cal in Memphis, ending with D Rose 2008 & Tyrese Evans 2009:

Then Wall (Originally committed to Memphis, moved with Coach Cal in 2010 to Kentucky. And here we are.

Crazy how that timeline played out.

well yes of course, that's exactly my point.

life and career satisfaction are going to impact your happiness way more than money.
especially when you are already in the rich range.

well yes of course, that's exactly my point.

life and career satisfaction are going to impact your happiness way more than money.
especially when you are already in the rich range.
That’s not really your point at all, though. You’re now trying to extrapolate the narrow point back more broadly, just like RustyShackleford RustyShackleford said. Your point is about championship rings specifically — you are just making the assumption that the rings have an outsized importance as to life and career satisfaction.

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh would you rather have 50K or dinner with Jay Z?

my instinct is to say 50k.

but

I do work in media, and Jay-Z does have a production company. if I actually built a relationship with him.
that would be way more valuable than 50k
BUT
how well would I be able to convert that dinner into a connection with no prior relationship with him.

I make a decent living, 50k would not particularly change a huge amount in my life. but I could def use it.

thinking through it, it's a closer call that I thought, but prob too much uncertainty in the Jay-Z dinner.
maybe he just tells about the time he lost 92 bricks for 45 mins and calls it a night?

so Ill prob take 50k.

That’s not really your point at all, though. You’re now trying to extrapolate the narrow point back more broadly, just like RustyShackleford RustyShackleford said. Your point is about championship rings specifically — you are just making the assumption that the rings have an outsized importance as to life and career satisfaction.

yeah im making a guess, I think it's the most reasonable guess in the face of that happiness plateau at 500k and the fact money doesn't help at all if you're rich and not happy. general research on job satisfaction correlation with mental health.

while that isn't a perfect comparison with a championship. the correlation might not be as strong, but there's also a chance it could be stronger. and of course the other effects from being a champion. increased status, respect from community, ect.
and given the strong competitive drive of the average athlete, i think Stack's formulation is the most reasonable.

unless you are an unusually uncompetitive pro athlete you should take 50 million and the ring.

If the Magic won but Gil was still washed and getting limited mins off the bench yo still woulda been depressed :lol:

The man’s body and career was breaking down with nothing he could do about it, no ring can solve that problem

maybe, but we KNOW the money didn't help. so if you are picking between the two.
You should clearly pick the magic win scenario. as there is at least a chance you would get + happiness.

Yes

If you meant to ask if there would be a linear or near linear correlation? If so, then no.

hmm interesting, If I had to bet I think there would be almost no correlation.

I think most of the happiness would be derived from the status, or respect money is proxy for in the NBA.
but being able to buy a bit bigger house, or a slightly bigger boat, whatever increased utility you get from extra money I think would be basically nothing.

Back
Top Bottom