The Official NBA Season Thread: USA vs Serbia at 11:15 ET on NBC/Peacock | Durant Cleared for Action

But given Scottie will not be able to fully enjoy the total fruits of his labor (because of bad contract and divorce law), I think 100 million might make that man feel better. :lol:

I give you an extra 100 million but you are no longer NBA legend, one of the most famous athlete's of all time,
but instead you are ****olded Antwan Jaimeson?

Nah id you keep the 100 rather be Scottie.
no matter how many NBA player children Larsa sleeps with Scottie still 6 rings, still Bulls Scoitte.

if you are Antwan Jamison and the same thing happens, that the only thing we will remember you for, for the rest of time. I can't take that 100 million can't fix that. :lol:

I give you an extra 100 million but you are no longer NBA legend, one of the most famous athlete's of all time,

no matter how many NBA player children Larsa sleeps with Scottie still 6 rings, still Bulls Scoitte.

if you are Antwan Jamison and the same thing happens, that the only thing we will remember you for, for the rest of time. I can't take that 100 million can't fix that. :lol:
But this isn’t the comparison that gets made most of the time :lol:

Generally it’s Star with no rings and lots of money vs role player with rings.

Antawn Jamison somewhere chilling, minding his business. Scottie out here hating on MJ daily, miserable seeing his ex get popped by MJ’s son and now back in the streets chasing young joints. That man ain’t seeing happiness with his rings.

But this isn’t the comparison that gets made most of the time :lol:

Generally it’s Star with no rings and lots of money vs role player with rings.

well the specific one I was responding to was specifically to was 50 million and 1 ring vs 100 million and no rings.

I wasn't talking about star vs role player.

I was cool being Horry and Iggy so I stand with osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh
saluting-face_1fae1 (1).png

But nope don't want to be Scottie and that insane contract

Antawn Jamison somewhere chilling, minding his business. Scottie out here hating on MJ daily, miserable seeing his ex get popped by MJ’s son and now back in the streets chasing young joints. That man ain’t seeing happiness with his rings.

well that's not the comparison.
The apples to apples comparison is if Antwan Jaimsons wife was having sex with Gilber Arenas's son. would Antwan be happier than Pippen because he made more money.

imo the observed behaviour points exactly towards Stacks conclusion.

Seems like most ringless pros who made big career salaries will forgo mor money at the end of there career for a chance to win a ring.

The reaction James Harden behaviour when it was looking like he was gunna take a supermax from Houston is a perfect example.
its pretty odd for late career players with big career earnings to choose more money of rings.

every year older vet player take buyouts where they give up money to get in a winning situation. nobody thinks this is weird. its pretty much expected.
A player's prime money-making years often coincide with their best playing years. While there are examples of players turning down money for a superteam, it seems to me the norm is for players to take the money.

If rings were such a bigger contributor to overall happiness, then we would see young players sacrificing money for rings too

We see players sign extensions and then demand a trade with multiple years left. If they were so indifferent to money, then they would just wait for free agency.

any prediction of alternate timelines involves some guessing. but the balance of probabilities I think is firmly in favour of Stephen Jackson.
Again, you have no evidence to support this.

A player's prime money-making years often coincide with their best playing years. While there are examples of players turning down money for a superteam, it seems to me the norm is for players to take the money.

If rings were such a bigger contributor to overall happiness, then we would see young players sacrificing money for rings too

when you are in your prime you aren't really faced with the stark choice of more money vs ring.
if you are a prime player, you have more impact on winning, the difference is money are flattened because of max contracts and restricted free agency, you have more chances to wing one because you are young.

later career players is more apt comparison. they are have made lots of money, and they require a good team to win a ring and the chances to win a ring are running out.

Again, you have no evidence to support this.

happiness plateaus at 500k and doesn't increase if you are unhappy and rich.
I think that's the clearest evidence we have.

David West opted out of $12M with the Pacers to ring chase with the Spurs on the minimum. Ended up getting two rings for the minimum with the Warriors.

David West opted out of $10M with the Spurs to pick up two rings for the minimum with the Warriors stands out.
That was the biggest one I could think of and he passed on prob a ~$10M over 2 years? The middle class of guys who never had big individual success like the only guys we really even see doing this.

No

He just said people don’t know what makes them happy even if they say what would make them happy

there are whole books of philosophy devoted to understanding what is happiness and understanding the meaning of life.
There are entire religious traditions devoted to escaping the hedonic treadmill.
there are psychologist hard at work trying to understand what makes a human happy and how that differs from the sedation of hedonistic pleasures.

if you humans really had perfect knowledge of what will and wont make them happy
that would really solve a lot of problems,

but they obviously don't.

when you are in your prime you aren't really faced with the stark choice of more money vs ring.
if you are a prime player, you have more impact on winning, the difference is money are flattened because of max contracts and restricted free agency, you have more chances to wing one because you are young.

later career players is more apt comparison. they are have made lots of money, and they require a good team to win a ring and the chances to win a ring are running out.

If you are using the 500K thing as evidence, and applying it to players, then nearly all NBA players acting rationally should be ring-chasing

So your theory doesn't apply to the individuals making the largest salaries, those who should be also indifferent to the money?

But you seem very confident that you are clearly universally correct.

It is clear that this money over championships thing mainly applies to a subgroup of older players.

happiness plateaus at 500k and doesn't increase if you are unhappy and rich.
I think that's the clearest evidence we have.

That by itself proves very little in regard to the discussion you are having

Back
Top Bottom