The Official NBA Thread: Pacers-Celtics Game 1 SFA SFA SFA SFA SFA

I was accused of having a weird beef with Meth too :lol:

Are the ads even Meth’s fault? I doubt he picks them.

The real question is who in here is paying for twitter?

Not eem a game tonight on NBATV.

Gonna need that League Pass BF deal to drop soon.

I’m so pissed clippers let harden come in there and turn it into Houston/6ers offense.

Norman got a rebound this clown harden refused to run and fill the lane. Fool almost stopped so he could get the ball. It’s disgusting.

I’ll address a few individual concerns below, but here are the main points for anyone experiencing ad issues tonight:

There was an issue with the video ad unit causing it to appear on every page. I use the ad-supported version of the site, too, and the situation was clearly unacceptable. This issue was reported to our current ad partner and the player has been disabled entirely until it can be resolved.

If you’re still seeing these, close your current tab and open a new one.

Any ad concerns are best expressed in a separate thread, like those in the site feedback or bug reports forums.

How do I get rid of these damn ads mayne?

Also does NT auto refresh for you guys too? It's annoying. I'm reading through the thread then page just reloads and I lose my place :smh:
This is probably best handled as a separate thread in the bug reports forum.

I’d be curious to know what device you’re using, as it’s possible the issue isn’t actually the page reloading, but the tab crashing due to insufficient memory.

Man I can’t even stream or listen to music and browse the site and the same time. This **** annoying as hell
Although the video ads are muted by default, they can still interfere with multitask streaming on iOS. Again, the videos are intended to show only once per user per session, for those on ad supported accounts, so this should be less of an issue moving forward.

Can’t believe @storm2006 couldnt close the deal with meth :smh:

1700523702671.gif
I appreciate his desire to help. Feel free to ask him about our conversation.

Nelson and I have received quite a few credible offers over the years - all of which would’ve left NikeTalk worse off had we literally sold out. The last such offer was from a company that laid off nearly a quarter of its workforce this year.

Times are tough for ad-supported websites.

Supporter badge means you. are. complicit.

I got Adblock on so my NT experience is fine :nerd:
Visiting NikeTalk and contributing content makes you “complicit” in supporting the site.

Supporter subscriptions wouldn’t keep NikeTalk online for more than a month or two. We rely primarily on ad revenue to cover expenses and have thus been donating all of the supporter fees (less whatever gets deducted by PayPal) to charities like Doctors Without Borders.

Is that supposed to be a threat? We’ve all seen your arms.

It would be different if NT actually provided something of value. It's just us talking to each other. Not paying for that **** :lol:. That's like paying for discord
You’re “talking to each other” through an online platform that needs to safely support hundreds of simultaneous users and host over two decades of content.

If you’re disappointed in your forum experience, then you share something in common with Nelson and myself. We were disappointed by the state of the unmoderated message board where sneaker fans like us would congregate in the late 90’s.

The difference is, we actually did something about it.

If you think that moderation isn’t a service of value, go give Elon Musk your $8 and enjoy the ride.

Site hosting aint free. NT's bills gotta get paid somehow.

It isn’t just site hosting. That’s actually one of our smaller recurring costs, if you’re talking about infrastructure and not hardware. NT also requires server administration and development support, among other expenses.

Many people are dependent on “free” services operated at a loss by VC-backed companies chasing IPO/acquisition money - which often harvest and monetize your personal data.

NikeTalk began on a service like that. It’s cheap and easy to get started, but you find out quickly how costly “free” services truly are.

I brought this up in a reply to similar issues, which some may find worth reading if they’re curious about why we’re in this situation:

Reddit, for example, is now forcing its users to accept “personalized advertising,” just weeks after seizing control of whole communities built on volunteer labor - not unlike what Yuku attempted to do with our community over a decade ago.

Don’t be surprised if and when the other shoe drops for services like Discord, which have yet to turn the corner on profitability.

Independence isn’t cheap.

I’ll address a few individually concerns below, but here are the main points for anyone experiencing ad issues tonight:

There was an issue with the video ad unit causing it to appear on every page. I use the ad-supported version of the site, too, and the situation was clearly unacceptable. This issue was reported to our current ad partner and the player has been disabled entirely until it can be resolved.

If you’re still seeing these, close your current tab and open a new one.

Any ad concerns are best expressed in a separate thread, like those in the site feedback or bug reports forums.

This is probably best handled as a separate thread in the bug reports forum.

I’d be curious to know what device you’re using, as it’s possible the issue isn’t actually the page reloading, but the tab crashing due to insufficient memory.

Although the video ads are muted by default, they can still interfere with multitask streaming on iOS. Again, the videos are intended to show only once per user per session, for those on ad supported accounts, so this should be less of an issue moving forward.

I appreciate his desire to help. Feel free to ask him about our conversation.

Nelson and I have received quite a few credible offers over the years - all of which would’ve left NikeTalk worse off had we literally sold out. The last such offer was from a company that laid off nearly a quarter of its workforce this year.

Times are tough for ad-supported websites.

Visiting NikeTalk and contributing content makes you “complicit” in supporting the site.

Supporter subscriptions wouldn’t keep NikeTalk online for more than a month or two. We rely primarily on ad revenue to cover expenses and have thus been donating all of the supporter fees (less whatever gets deducted by PayPal) to charities like Doctors Without Borders.

Is that supposed to be a threat? We’ve all seen your arms.

You’re “talking to each other” through an online platform that needs to safely support hundreds of simultaneous users and host over two decades of content.

If you’re disappointed in your forum experience, then you share something in common with Nelson and myself. We were disappointed by the state of the unmoderated message board where sneaker fans like us would congregate in the late 90’s.

The difference is, we actually did something about it.

If you think that moderation isn’t a service of value, go give Elon Musk your $8 and enjoy the ride.

It isn’t just site hosting. That’s actually one of our smaller recurring costs, if you’re talking about infrastructure and not hardware. NT also requires server administration and development support, among other expenses.

Many people are dependent on “free” services operated at a loss by VC-backed companies chasing IPO/acquisition money - which often harvest and monetize your personal data.

NikeTalk began on a service like that. It’s cheap and easy to get started, but you find out quickly how costly “free” services truly are.

I brought this up in a reply to similar issues, which some may find worth reading if they’re curious about why we’re in this situation:

Don’t be surprised if and when the other shoe drops for services like Discord, which have yet to turn the corner on profitability.

Independence isn’t cheap.

i love u, thanks for all that you do

Back
Top Bottom