THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 3 Releases 4/13

I'm confused why there is so much hate. They look similar to an iconic Kobe model, a reduced price, and some cool colourways. Compared to say the Kyrie line these are so much nicer colourways. Kyrie 3's were literally all white or all black. I can't name the last completely yellow or purple nike performance shoe. Give them a chance before you trash them

Think people are generally disappointed because in 3 short years the line has gone from this to that. I give credit to Nike. They spoiled us. They set the bar high with amazing sneakers.

kobe.jpg

Think people are generally disappointed because in 3 short years the line has gone from this to that. I give credit to Nike. They spoiled us. They set the bar high with amazing sneakers.

kobe.jpg

Fair enough, but in defense of the shoe you picked one of the greatest kobes of all time and compared it to the worst colorway that we just saw. There were some not so nice Kobe 9's, and the 10s were not a nice shoe. There are some very cool details going on in these shoes that are unique to each colour

kobe.jpg

This. I personally think the X (flyknit low) is underrated. I know it isn't the most popular model around here, but it's a work of art compared to the ADs and now these. Hell, even the NXTs feel more like a Kobe design that makes logical sense in terms of progression from IX to X to XI to the NXT. If Nike would produce some better, interesting colorways with nice patterns in the uppers, I'd have bought some. After all the evolutions from the original flywire to the XI's knit upper, they just walked away from the material in favor of what in the AD's case looks and feels like a canvas upper. These latest shoes, I don't even know what that is supposed to be. The ADs and these might very well be amazing shoes to play in but there is nothing about the design that catches my--or I imagine a lot of others'--eye. These feel like random takedown models as opposed to anything pushing boundaries as the Kobe line was known for not so long ago. Like I said before, I keep hoping these are not the true flagship Kobe for the next year. But I am prepared to be disappointed.

If I see one pair of these on someone's feet in person, I'll be surprised. Maybe on TV and online, probably it.

Wherever they're going to send all the unsold ADs so far for discount. Make room.

Was going to say shouldn't there be a new thread for these shoes but since Nike's keeping the same name might as well just keep this one going....LOL

Red has the most interesting details imho. Not interesting enough to buy tho. Overall I’m disappointed and disillusioned - the future trajectory of the line looks meh.

Hey NXT guys. Are the in/midsoles swappable with the XIs like I've heard? Nike True Fit suggests me a 12 while I wear 11.5 in the XIs...

Would 11.5 insoles work in the NXT in size 12? Kind of confusing :tongue:

Hey NXT guys. Are the in/midsoles swappable with the XIs like I've heard? Nike True Fit suggests me a 12 while I wear 11.5 in the XIs...

Would 11.5 insoles work in the NXT in size 12? Kind of confusing :tongue:

The NXT's and the 11's have the same lunarlon/Zoom heel set up. I swapped mine out and there's not a huge difference between the two. Even tried a midsole swap with a full length lunar midsole and those felt pretty nice in the NXT's as well.

The NXT's and the 11's have the same lunarlon/Zoom heel set up. I swapped mine out and there's not a huge difference between the two. Even tried a midsole swap with a full length lunar midsole and those felt pretty nice in the NXT's as well.

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious as to whether my 11.5 ID full zoom insoles would work in a 12 NXT. I've got my eye on those Curials...

Nike might want to make them super limited and try to build steam up steam via the hype train. Otherwise, those are going to sit big time. The mono-tone colorways are now more then overdone. The 'specs' on the shoe like the 'Off White' releases. C'mon.

Just move on to retros if there isn't going to be any effort. Does anyone know if Avar even participates in the design of this line anymore? I really doubt it.
tbh, they should make these limited. I'm sure these aren't the new Kobe line that's supposed to come out, probably a hold over until maybe an actual Kobe 12 comes out?

Wonder how much input Kobe puts in nowadays. Seems like he has his own things going on now. Wouldn't be surprised if he is barely involved anymore and that's why we aren't seeing anything too new. Gotta think Nike isn't really looking to make leaps either seeing as the sig player isn't playing anymore.

Nike just doesn't know how to make a good looking signature shoe anymore. The downfall of their designs happened when they lost 3 of their key designers to Adidas.

I used to discount that, but now I'm thinking there is some truth in it. Although, I think it's been Avar who's been the influence over the years with the Kobe line. I think he's still with Nike. I can't see these ADs as his though.

I have to think these are not the next model, but rather a 3rd AD. There isn't much 'design' here. It's basically 9 concept that didn't make the cut. They took two things that are the flavors of the day. Mono-color, and the 'mock-up' Off White look, and slapped it on a sneaker they picked out the scrap heap.

Last edited:
Something tells me that if there was more hype associated with the signature lines, some of you would like them a lot better.

Nike just doesn't know how to make a good looking signature shoe anymore. The downfall of their designs happened when they lost 3 of their key designers to Adidas.

Matter of opinion

So wouldn't that mean the Adidas line looks good? So what's the correlation?

Matter of opinion

So wouldn't that mean the Adidas line looks good? So what's the correlation?
You're right that it's a matter of opinion, but it doesn't necessarily mean they design good shoes over there. It just means they're not designing for Nike anymore. They left near the end of 2014 and to me it's not just a coincidence that around 2015 is when the popularity of Nike's basketball shoes started to decline. Sure the prices factored into it, but get a good design and people will want to buy them.

Last edited:
I think the adidas designers thing is a coincidence. All the brands started making more lifestyle shoes (roughly) around that time so I think people are just looking to basketball shoes for casual wear less and less.

I think the adidas designers thing is a coincidence. All the brands started making more lifestyle shoes (roughly) around that time so I think people are just looking to basketball shoes for casual wear less and less.

Agreed...

Strangely, when the Kobe XI's were debuted they were murdered! :rofl:

People have short memories

You're right that it's a matter of opinion, but it doesn't necessarily mean they design good shoes over there. It just means they're not designing for Nike anymore. They left near the end of 2014 and to me it's not just a coincidence that around 2015 is when the popularity of Nike's basketball shoes started to decline. Sure the prices factored into it, but get a good design and people will want to buy them.

No, I just think fashion changed things a bit. Some people started wearing smaller clothes. Which corresponded with runners. And Nike started releasing 30 colorways of every signature models so one of each came out every month. It was a combination of things.

Because a lot of Kobe's that other people like I don't find that appealing visually at all(4 and 5). It's all opinion.

No, I just think fashion changed things a bit. Some people started wearing smaller clothes. Which corresponded with runners. And Nike started releasing 30 colorways of every signature models so one of each came out every month. It was a combination of things.

Because a lot of Kobe's that other people like I don't find that appealing visually at all(4 and 5). It's all opinion.
All true. We can't say for sure that correlation = causation for one single thing. Like you said, it's a combination of things

Back
Top Bottom