THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 3 Releases 4/13

Said it before and I’ll say if again, knit is overrated and destroyed shoe design
I wouldn't go that far and say destroyed, but I'll agree that it did make almost every shoe look the same and removed layers/dimensions in the design. My least favorite knit shoes were the KD11, LeBron 15 and 17, and Kobe 360. I'm sure Nike/Jordan realized this and that's why the latest Jordans and KDs don't use knit uppers.
Performance wise it was the natural progression of moving on from fuse uppers, performance benefits were still there as well.

All that said, I would take knit over ripstop all day.

I wouldn't go that far and say destroyed, but I'll agree that it did make almost every shoe look the same and removed layers/dimensions in the design. My least favorite knit shoes were the KD11, LeBron 15 and 17, and Kobe 360. I'm sure Nike/Jordan realized this and that's why the latest Jordans and KDs don't use knit uppers.
Performance wise it was the natural progression of moving on from fuse uppers, performance benefits were still there as well.

All that said, I would take knit over ripstop all day.
Knit peaked with the Kobe 9 imo. After that, Nike bball should of moved on. Knit is great for casual shoes. I don’t want it on anything I’m spending more than 100 on honestly. Give me something that will last

Last edited:
Every morning I open my Mail, check my junk mail and then I see this...🧂🧂🧂

Attachments

• 07E9FA85-B201-4A63-8022-360485E23386.jpeg
    07E9FA85-B201-4A63-8022-360485E23386.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 227
2013-2014 was peak Nike basketball, period. Releases were fire (and obtainable! ) , performance was solid across all signature lines. 2015-2016 releases were still fire, but Nike couldn't figure out traction and translucent rubber to save their lives.

Crazy how after 7 years, they still can't figure it out :lol:
They probably do know, but they just continue to use whoever supplies their translucent rubber compound because it's cheaper or bound by contract or something :smh:.
I'm sure they're fine on extremely clean and well-kept NBA courts, but for public indoor courts where they can't constantly clean and buff the floor, it's really terrible. Adidas has it figured out though, their translucent outsoles are extremely grippy.

Said it before and I’ll say if again, knit is overrated and destroyed shoe design

That's why the EM versions of Kobes tend to perform better. Engineered Mesh has more durability and more give than the Knit which is constructed alongside hard plastic TPU wiring. Knit looks better though, that's for sure.

Crazy how after 7 years, they still can't figure it out :lol:
They probably do know, but they just continue to use whoever supplies their translucent rubber compound because it's cheaper or bound by contract or something :smh:.
I'm sure they're fine on extremely clean and well-kept NBA courts, but for public indoor courts where they can't constantly clean and buff the floor, it's really terrible. Adidas has it figured out though, their translucent outsoles are extremely grippy.
I feel like they did figure it out in recent years. Almost all my recent hoop shoes used translucent rubber and worked fine (Kobe AD NXT, Kobe 360, Kobe Protro 4 and 5). Other shoes that had translucent rubber seemed fine too based on reviews I read.

I feel like they did figure it out in recent years. Almost all my recent hoop shoes used translucent rubber and worked fine (Kobe AD NXT, Kobe 360, Kobe Protro 4 and 5). Other shoes that had translucent rubber seemed fine too based on reviews I read.

I don't have any translucent Protro 4s or 5s, but I do have the 360 which is translucent. It's not ice skates on the court, but it's not grippy either and requires a wipe here and there.

I don't have any translucent Protro 4s or 5s, but I do have the 360 which is translucent. It's not ice skates on the court, but it's not grippy either and requires a wipe here and there.
The biggest problem with the 360 was durability. They were awesome when they lasted, but after five months a lot of nubs in the high-wear areas were gone. It made the shoe extremely dangerous to play in because the bottom would slide and the upper was not strong enough to secure my foot. I rolled my ankle while curling back on a screen and had to retire them after that.

Knit peaked with the Kobe 9 imo. After that, Nike bball should of moved on. Knit is great for casual shoes. I don’t want it on anything I’m spreading more than 100 on honestly. Give me something that will last
That 9 wasn’t even close to real knit either, they find a way to give us true knit on a basket shoe i’ll be giving them a shot again.

Am I the only one that feel like these were slept on?
the material and colors are 🔥
Feel like because how they were named it why they were slept on, everyone was expecting actually FTB 4’s and got these instead

super clean color though.

That 9 wasn’t even close to real knit either, they find a way to give us true knit on a basket shoe i’ll be giving them a shot again.

It was Nike’a attempt at using a new tech on a basketball shoe to make it lighter, but they stuck it to fuse so itd still be durable so nobody would blow through an otherwise fragile material. I feel like considering the time, they did a great job with it for what it was and the 9s are still great ball shoes regardless overall.

still prefer Kobe 9s to something like that battleknit used on the Lebron 15s..those looked like scrotums on your feet Lol

maybe they would’ve improved on it for a Kobe 9 protro model..we’ll never know now though :frown:

All the Kobe 4’s were slept on until the crash. They were ALL sitting in all sites with coupons codes available. I was sitting back and waiting for price drops

matter of fact,all but a a couple protro 1’s sat in the outlets

Last edited:
It was Nike’a attempt at using a new tech on a basketball shoe to make it lighter, but they stuck it to fuse so itd still be durable so nobody would blow through an otherwise fragile material. I feel like considering the time, they did a great job with it for what it was and the 9s are still great ball shoes regardless overall.

still prefer Kobe 9s to something like that battleknit used on the Lebron 15s..those looked like scrotums on your feet Lol

maybe they would’ve improved on it for a Kobe 9 protro model..we’ll never know now though :frown:

I was waiting on the day that we would be able to purchase Protro 8 and 9s. My wallet would've been on life support during that year or two. Now we'll never get em :frown:

All the Kobe 4’s were slept on until the crash. They were ALL sitting in all sites with coupons codes available. I was sitting back and waiting for price drops

matter of fact,all but a a couple protro 2’s sat in the outlets

What? We never got a Protro 2.

I was waiting on the day that we would be able to purchase Protro 8 and 9s. My wallet would've been on life support during that year or two. Now we'll never get em :frown:
I would’ve loved to see how they improved on the clunkiness of the 7s. maybe do away with the interchangeable midsoles too and just offer 2 different models. Like keep the sleeve and thicker cushlon midsole for the “elite” model or something. Or vice versa and use the zoom play fast midsole for the elites..

I have no idea how they could improve on the 8s. They’re perfect

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom