THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 3 Releases 4/13

As far as I'm concerned, the negativity is the pricing. When we can get full zoom and flyknit in the kd9 for 150, why is this shoe 200? Pure money grab.

Markup so they can make more money off retailers for something that's gonna sit and go on discount

Shoe is not worth $200, great reviews mean nothint

I saw the NXT in person and they look nice. Probably even better in person. But, there is just no way I'm paying $200 for these.

How's the lacing system on these, simple? Will probably cop these when they're deeply discounted tbh

As far as I'm concerned, the negativity is the pricing. When we can get full zoom and flyknit in the kd9 for 150, why is this shoe 200? Pure money grab.
Someone once criticized KD for his prices going up. His answer was priceless "I'm not an $88 player."

Same thing for Kobe. He wasn't an $88 player. Besides, if Kobe's were cheap then everyone would have them like Curry & Kyries, and water them down like Jordans

Markup so they can make more money off retailers for something that's gonna sit and go on discount

Shoe is not worth $200, great reviews mean nothint
OK so in your opinion what kind of shoe is worth $200 because not to sound contradicting, because I do think the NXT are worth the $200, but overall imho NO SHOE is ever worth what they sell for when it cost them so little to make, but if i'm going to pay $200 for a shoe it's going to be: aesthetically pleasing to my eye, comfortable, nice color, solid reputable brand, and a superstar athletes signature shoe, a solid performer, and something I could wear on and off the court that will last.

People saying this shoe isn't worth it because it doesn't have full length zoom? LOL so they're basically feeding into the Nike hype and marketing of paying extra for a longer air bubble. It's air people, you'll pay more for more air? ha ha ha - yea its more comfortable but still it's just hilarious.  

with a lot new shoes, not everyone will like them initially, especially the kobe line. the NXT doesn't appeal to many of us (here at least) because it isn't aesthetically pleasing and the first two colorways are bland af. i wouldn't call nike a "solid reputable brand" with the way they handle their retros and how the AD turned out, which is a shoe that: kobe doesn't play in (obviously), and is a below average performer compared to previous models (4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11 anyone?)

since most of us haven't gotten or tried them first-hand yet, we can't speak on its comfort or its quality but we can get an idea of how it might feel based on what we've seen and heard so far. the NXT has the same drop-in midsole as the XI elite (lunar with bottom-loaded zoom air), and has the same traction as the AD's mid to forefoot, which is something they could've done with the AD all along right? so what's really new and innovative with the NXT that they had to charge an extra $40 above the AD? a shroud and a plastic lace toggle? i've never seen that before lol.

i think what bummed me out the most besides being an XI and AD hybrid, is that there was no marketing behind this shoe besides seeing pictures of nike and kobe gifting these to the oregon team. i kept hearing eric avar designed these but usually there's some cool, smooth video about the process of creating and unveiling the next kobe sig. also, i'm not a fan of bball kicks without a traditional tongue. the kobe line was the one of the last big sig shoes to keep it traditional but it seems like it's falling in line with what we've seen with the lebrons and KDs.

with a lot new shoes, not everyone will like them initially, especially the kobe line. the NXT doesn't appeal to many of us (here at least) because it isn't aesthetically pleasing and the first two colorways are bland af. i wouldn't call nike a "solid reputable brand" with the way they handle their retros and how the AD turned out, which is a shoe that: kobe doesn't play in (obviously), and is a below average performer compared to previous models (4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11 anyone?)

since most of us haven't gotten or tried them first-hand yet, we can't speak on its comfort or its quality but we can get an idea of how it might feel based on what we've seen and heard so far. the NXT has the same drop-in midsole as the XI elite (lunar with bottom-loaded zoom air), and has the same traction as the AD's mid to forefoot, which is something they could've done with the AD all along right? so what's really new and innovative with the NXT that they had to charge an extra $40 above the AD? a shroud and a plastic lace toggle? i've never seen that before lol.

i think what bummed me out the most besides being an XI and AD hybrid, is that there was no marketing behind this shoe besides seeing pictures of nike and kobe gifting these to the oregon team. i kept hearing eric avar designed these but usually there's some cool, smooth video about the process of creating and unveiling the next kobe sig. also, i'm not a fan of bball kicks without a traditional tongue. the kobe line was the one of the last big sig shoes to keep it traditional but it seems like it's falling in line with what we've seen with the lebrons and KDs.
I appreciate your response. The NXT are definitely aesthetically pleasing to me, and since you said "many of us here" there are also others who can agree with me. I love how the original A.D. turned out, not an issue with them from me other than lack of creative color ways to be released yet with exception of Oregon and BHM, my only real complaint against the A.D. were that they aren't as comfortable as other Kobe's, but they aren't bad either, compared to other kicks.

I think what we're being charged extra $40 is the fly knit, drop in air similar to the XI's which pushed the price up to $200 for comparable Elite fly knit versions. The NXT can be considered an Elite version.

I definitely would have liked to see marketing behind these, commercials, on court film of people hooping in them, maybe even what's to come, etc. They kind of just came out of nowhere. As far as "traditional" tongue, I don't mind whether it's there or not as long as what is put in it's place is effective and efficient, and gets the job done. I'm hearing that the shroud and lacing system doesn't lock down like a traditional lacing system, maybe that also has to do with the fact that their isn't a tongue to hold the forefoot down and rather a full shroud that isn't concentrated enough on the top of the foot. Although I do have them, I've yet to hoop in them, or wear them. They're too pretty, and the bottoms are too clean for me to wear them yet. I have a couple kicks like this that I've yet to wear for these very reasons lol

Last edited:
I appreciate your response. The NXT are definitely aesthetically pleasing to me, and since you said "many of us here" there are also others who can agree with me. I love how the original A.D. turned out, not an issue with them from me other than lack of creative color ways to be released yet with exception of Oregon and BHM, my only real complaint against the A.D. were that they aren't as comfortable as other Kobe's, but they aren't bad either, compared to other kicks.

I think what we're being charged extra $40 is the fly knit, drop in air similar to the XI's which pushed the price up to $200 for comparable Elite fly knit versions. The NXT can be considered an Elite version.

I definitely would have liked to see marketing behind these, commercials, on court film of people hooping in them, maybe even what's to come, etc. They kind of just came out of nowhere. As far as "traditional" tongue, I don't mind whether it's there or not as long as what is put in it's place is effective and efficient, and gets the job done. I'm hearing that the shroud and lacing system doesn't lock down like a traditional lacing system, maybe that also has to do with the fact that their isn't a tongue to hold the forefoot down and rather a full shroud that isn't concentrated enough on the top of the foot. Although I do have them, I've yet to hoop in them, or wear them. They're too pretty, and the bottoms are too clean for me to wear them yet. I have a couple kicks like this that I've yet to wear for these very reasons lol

i forgot to make the point that with every new model, it takes time for the look and the feel of the shoe to grow on people, and colorways plus NBA players playing in them definitely help (if they aren't 99% PEs like the kyries and lebrons this year).

nike does a disservice not only to customers but to themselves by skimping/cheating on the tech in their shoes like the AD and its zoom air placement. and, as duke stated perfectly before, it's a money grab. the KD9 elite came out with nicer flyknit and full-length zoom retailing at $150 like the standard version so why couldn't nike do this with the AD and NXT?

regarding the tongue, i mean, if it fits for some, then great. but a bootie upper like that can only fit certain people whereas a traditional tongue would accommodate more foot shapes. i don't want to get into the lacing system too much but i feel it's as the old saying goes with if it ain't broke, don't fix it. if the KD9 had a tongue, i'd be on it as much as anyone else.

another problem with the AD is that the nubs (at least on translucent outsoles on grey pair) don't wear down as you play in them. i'm noticing a number of the nubs on mine are about to just straight up rip off. i think that's an issue with translucent traction in general.

This is a shoe in a $200-$225 price-point. 

This is a shoe in a $200-$225 price-point

Sorry, but the AD NXT to many people is not a shoe in the $200-$225 price-point.  There are no premium materials.  No new tech.  And to quote Nike's product manager, 'You either love it or hate it' which pretty much sums up how half the people feel about these (regardless of which side of the fence you're on).  

The fact that so many people are trashing this shoe is a testament to what a great job Nike did the past 11 years.  They set the bar high, and when it's not met, people are not happy and they speak with their $.

Plus they are extremely plain.

If they hit a step discount around $99, ill cop because I'm a basic ***** so I like the way they look. My whole point is, this shoe does not look at all like a high end basketball shoe regardless of the tech inside which isn't even that great in the first place.

I'm sure the shoes are great but these should have retailed for $160 in the first place, the crappy lace system doesn't mean they can jack up the price $40 :lol:

Just like Jordan brand charging consumers $30 for an original color way because it has Nike air on the back when tech, and quality wise, there is ZERO difference between the $190 Jordan III and the $220 Jordan III

Someone once criticized KD for his prices going up. His answer was priceless "I'm not an $88 player."

Same thing for Kobe. He wasn't an $88 player. Besides, if Kobe's were cheap then everyone would have them like Curry & Kyries, and water them down like Jordans

I'm well aware of that quote- I'm the one who asked the question. And he's right, he isn't an $88 player, neither is kobe. But when. We get top line materials from KD9, harden 1, rose 7, and brandblack, for WAY cheaper, it makes this shoe less desirable, at least for me. If I was a diehard kobe fan, maybe.

Price is a huge component of Marketing. In order to market a product correctly you need to implement a pricing strategy that will help promote your brand. Nike products tend to use prestige pricing which leads consumers to believe that their product is superior because it is superior quality. The perception of that comes mainly from the higher price point.

As you all have pointed out, the technology doesn't add up to the price point. However, they are building prestige among their product and customers are willing to pay more because it gives them either prestige or a higher social status.

That's why when other kicks are priced low and everyone has them, no one cares. Anyways, it is easier to price to high and markdown then to establish a low price point from the get go. You will have early adopters who pay full price, others who wait until prices come down, and people who don't adopt. It also easy to have a "sale" on them to promote a product rather than just sell them at the price they thought they might get all along.

Last edited:
Tried the NXTs just now, the fit is amazing, cushion somehow felt better than the XI though that might be a placebo effect since it's the same exact cushion. Man when these go on clearance I'm picking them up asap.

The more I look at the NXTs the more I dig them.  I'm going to be pretty patient though, won't be too long before other more interesting colorways come out and go on sale.  Heck, the regular AD's are already on sale on NDC...

we are still on the pricing topic? lets move on. cop now or cop later on disco. i have enough Kobes to ball for the rest of my life and even some to my kids so im not paying retail on Kobes ever again but thats because ive been copping retail Kobes since The Kobe adidas then to Nike.

The 8 was fantastic.  It sold very well.  The 9 kinda looked like the 8, but even better.  Sold extremely well.  The 10 kinda looked like the 8 and 9, but was off a little.  It did OK.  The 11 looked like the 8 and 9.  Has done fantastic.  The AD...

Back to the lab again...

Just calling it like it is.  Sorry.  I have purchased ADs.  3.  Release pair, Oregons, and Summer.  Want the Time To Shine.  Being very selective until the new model or retros.  

The rest of you guys...spend your $200 away on the AD NXTs.  Wear in good health.  

Last edited:
im getting my first, the derozan pair.

http%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F03%2Fnike-kobe-ad-compton-3.jpg
http%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F03%2Fnike-kobe-ad-compton-1.jpg
http%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F03%2Fnike-kobe-ad-compton-2.jpg
nike-kobe-ad-compton-release-date-852425-011-1.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm so happy the ADs have a traditional tongue. It makes them so much easier to put on and more importantly to get a great fit than any of my other shoes.

For me the deal breaker with the NXT is the forefoot cushion. The ADs have just enough lunar to save your knees. Not everyday, but my legs feel a lot better after playing in ADs than for 2 hours in XI or Kyries

Back
Top Bottom