The Official Nike LeBron 14 Thread. Retail $175

I'm not expecting a resurgence in basketball shoes being worn casually any time soon. I think for the most part that's dead. However, that doesn't mean Nike should sacrifice looks for performance. Nike used to be able to design good looking, good performing kicks in the past, so why should they stop no
I'm not sure where everyone is from or where the conclusion came from that basketball sneakers aren't being worn casually. I'm from NYC and all i see is guys walking around in Foams, Lebrons, Durants, Kyries and retro nike basketball sneakers.

I'm not sure where everyone is from or where the conclusion came from that basketball sneakers aren't being worn casually. I'm from NYC and all i see is guys walking around in Foams, Lebrons, Durants, Kyries and retro nike basketball sneakers.
Dead *** B, im from NY too. But you must be uptown or deep in BK. Am I right?

NT and real life don't really mirror each other. Everyone can tell us what wrong with Nike, but it's mostly based on their region, their personal opinion of what looks good and what they can personally pull off casually as it relates to trends. And who, in their NT ego, is gonna admit to following trends? Also you have some of these same guys not wanting to give celebrities credit for their influence. We are also years into an anti urban movement when it comes to fashion.

Bottom line, it seems a majority refuses to consider all factors when it comes to "fixing" Nike...specifically consumer burnout, Nike competing with and undercutting itself with the tiered retail prices, trends and production numbers. We also don't consider enough how much of the buying public doesn't care enough to be posting on a sneaker forum.

Say what you want about the 13, but from what I've seen, they began to move once they went 150 and lower. That says more to me about consumer spending habits (and options) than consumer interest ...and it doesn't matter if they are used for casual or performance.

I don't want to discount anyone else's experiences, but I can't consider the opinions on here more than just a voice of a segment of the buying public.

We also have a lot of sneaker Skip Bayless characters on here so you gotta take a lot of what you see with a grain of salt.

I can't wait to try these 14s on. If the comfort is there, I'm buying that Christmas game colorway day 1.

Last edited:
Bottom line, it seems a majority refuses to consider all factors when it comes to "fixing" Nike...specifically consumer burnout, Nike competing with and undercutting itself with the tiered retail prices, trends and production numbers. We also don't consider enough how much of the buying public doesn't care enough to be posting on a sneaker forum.

Say what you want about the 13, but from what I've seen, they began to move once they went 150 and lower. That says more to me about consumer spending habits (and options) than consumer interest ...and it doesn't matter if they are used for casual or performance.

100% consumer burnout as you stated. You have cats paying hundreds of dollars for (overpriced & low quality) JB retro product that's sexier and trendier than Nike basketball, hence the latter suffering. Nike's also their own worst enemy as they've grossly over-saturated all their product lines (both Nike & JB) so that the consumer has far too much choice. JB's also started to cool off as some of the GR product is starting to sit (as it rightfully should).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but Nike needs to start handing out INLINE product when they give out their care packages and promos. When you have all the 'influential cats and trendsetters' (and I use both words very loosely) sporting nothing but JB and some Nike retro product, it's highly problematic as you have no legacy for any of your incline product.

The movement of not wearing basketball shoes casually anymore obviously hasn't made it here to Memphis yet!

Where ever. This fashion stuff with dudes is getting more and more comical to be honest.
I have a hard time watching BULL1TRC now because of that
laugh.gif
But then again, his target audience is about 12-17. Time for me to move on I suppose.

I used to rock with Foamer but he's gone downhill lately, getting click-baity and only posting hypebeast shoes or early reviews. He must be hurting for ad revenue too because his videos have tripled in length and he's just rambling. It's a shame because he was a legit professional baller with a good sense of humor.

For all the hate he gets on the performance side, I stick with Nightwing because he's been the constant through the years. And for casual wearers, Rich's Kicks is the best because he keeps it 100 all the time. Regular dude with a real job who happens to like kicks.

/tangent

NT and real life don't really mirror each other. Everyone can tell us what wrong with Nike, but it's mostly based on their region, their personal opinion of what looks good and what they can personally pull off casually as it relates to trends. And who, in their NT ego, is gonna admit to following trends? Also you have some of these same guys not wanting to give celebrities credit for their influence. We are also years into an anti urban movement when it comes to fashion.

I don't want to discount anyone else's experiences, but I can't consider the opinions on here more than just a voice of a segment of the buying public.

We also have a lot of sneaker Skip Bayless characters on here so you gotta take a lot of what you see with a grain of salt.

I can't wait to try these 14s on. If the comfort is there, I'm buying that Christmas game colorway day 1.

100% consumer burnout as you stated. You have cats paying hundreds of dollars for (overpriced & low quality) JB retro product that's sexier and trendier than Nike basketball, hence the latter suffering. Nike's also their own worst enemy as they've grossly over-saturated all their product lines (both Nike & JB) so that the consumer has far too much choice. JB's also started to cool off as some of the GR product is starting to sit (as it rightfully should).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but Nike needs to start handing out INLINE product when they give out their care packages and promos. When you have all the 'influential cats and trendsetters' (and I use both words very loosely) sporting nothing but JB and some Nike retro product, it's highly problematic as you have no legacy for any of your incline product.

I'm gonna jump on this one too...a few of you cats in here know I've been around the Bron threads heavy...up until the 12 and 13 really. And just like my dudes above have stated, I owe a LARGE part of it to burnout and oversaturation, along with the price point/value ratio getting all out of whack.

Too many colors, takedown lines, the list goes on and on about how much watered down product gets churned out on the daily. I still mess with Nike, but I have gravitated towards much more of the obscure retro product or just down right obscure Nike's that not many have heard of. Plus getting into other brands like Puma and their McQ collab line, I found some Givenchy's I really liked, and again more Nike NSW type stuff.

And the price points...well we all have had our say about that but I'll leave you guys with this excerpt from a SC article not too long ago. Was refreshing to see these words come out of the mouth of a FootLocker CEO....

"Foot Locker's basketball sneaker sales are down, with execs at the retailer saying in an earnings call on Friday that sales of the Nike LeBron and Nike KD lines have been particularly slow.

"Primary losses came in LeBron and KD product, a challenge which we've been addressing with our partners at Nike," said Foot Locker president and CEO **** Johnson.

Johnson and others on the call attributed the problem to the pricing of the lines–they say the shoes are getting too expensive for kids who aren't comfortable with the price/value relationship. The current Kevin Durant signature sneakers range from $180 to $200, while LeBron James' retail from $200 to $220.

Foot Locker is confident that its basketball business will bounce back after Nike addresses this pricing issue. Nike is planning to drop the price on Durant's next model–his upcoming Nike KD 9 will start at $150 when it launches on June 20."

what do you mean?

dudes are seriously concerned with what other dudes wear. when i was growing up, thats not something males really went in on unless it was tragic.

the same dudes that say they want to be different, dress different, stand out, etc are the same ones that want everyone to conform and dress to the same standard and style.

have you guys evolved with the fashion police to the point that you cant even wear fresh sneakers no more unless its a certain style?

Where ever. This fashion stuff with dudes is getting more and more comical to be honest.

This. It's real simple to me...wear what you like, whatever blows your hair back. Dudes tryin to impress other dudes with their "fits". If YOU like your fit...then you've already won. Case closed..."fashionable" or not.

I was actually talking to bigj505 bigj505 about this the other day. Showed him a recent pick up of mine, he knows I LOVE high tops...the higher the better, and he doesn't. But we can BOTH appreciate a shoe for what it is. I rock mine how I want, as does he. Pretty easy math if you ask either one of us.

Last edited:
laugh.gif
 if you want to be thoroughly embarrassed by the state of fashion for males, specifically with shoes, just hop in the yeezy thread, guarantee there's some comical pics going on in there. 

Just for the record, I wasn't trying to say that people shouldn't wear basketball shoes casually anymore because less people are doing it. Maybe it was a little too close minded because I was only considering my area where I saw basketball kicks on all the time and now I barely see them.

dc30 dc30 good informative posting as expected.

To the others, do you really believe that bulky, high/mid basketball shoes aren't trendy? Because if that were the case then JB retro would be doing far, far worse than Nike basketball.

Pricing of inline Nike basketball product is definitely problematic but daily JB retro product is even more problematic. On one hand you have Nike claiming that seamless, one piece, plastic shoes are bleeding edge, but at the same time you have NBA cats et al sporting JB retro on NBA media days and on the courts too.

There's a clear contradiction here and Nike has to address it at some stage but they seem to be fine with the status quo.

Back
Top Bottom