The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

They dont look so sharp, im a beginner as well so maybe the more seasoned shooters in here can (will) chime in. The edges are blurry and doesnt look like the camera focused on the appropirate subjects (you) well.

Last edited:
Heres a bunch pictures from a shoot with a friend on wednesday. first time shooting with my canon 60d. any feedback?

Good start. I'll comment on a few.

The lighting here is bad. VERY hard light shining on his left side while the right side is in shade. If I had the choice, i would have shot this full shade for the even light.

Decent shot... Can't stand the crop.

Snapshot IMO... Can't stand the crop

Completely out of focus.... Would have been out of focus if you got a 70d or an 80d also.

Looks like you hit focus on the rails behind him.

This is a very unflattering shot of him. having the lens at eye level or even at the hair line level to have a very slight angle down.

Also, looks like you're shooting 50mm? Kinda close up for 50mm for my taste.

He looks VERY stiff and uneasy.

Typically on a shot like this where you have opted to have a shallow depth of field, you want critical focus on the eye closest to the camera.

lacks critical focus

I will say this -- This is why technique, lighting and composition is 1,000% more important than gear.

Keep shooting and practicing.

I HIGHLY recommend planning a shoot if you're going to do portraits.

Location, wardrobe, shot list, time of day, etc.

Create a vision and then execute it.

Put MORE effort into the composition and lighting than you did figuring out what camera to buy.

Shoot looks uninspired and uneasy. Good tips being given already and I'll add this as someone who shoots full manual learn about that triangle offense (ISO, Shutter Speed, & Aperture) to help get a better contrast in your shots. They look dull and could also be from a less suitable light setting.

Many lacked critical focus and it was NOT your gear's fault, it was user error.

having a consumer camera and lens is not a life time sentence to soft photos.

i appreciate the input. so how do i fix the focus? i was choosing a focus point closest to the eyes or even in between both.

this shoot was random. he just said come shoot so i didnt have a chance to plan it.

I have a T5, 60D isnt a budget cam per say lol.

With a 50mm.

exactly

I shot this with a Nikon D7000 and 55-200 f/4-5.6G Kit lens. VERY cheap setup.

shot at 180mm 1/160 f/13

Your gear is merely a tool that puts into action the photograph that we have envisioned.

I have a T5, 60D isnt a budget cam per say lol.

With a 50mm.

lol when i said budget i just meant maybe im used to not having the most expensive gear and thinking everything i shoot is nice because of that haha. well i dont think everything is nice, but yeah

Last edited:
Many lacked critical focus and it was NOT your gear's fault, it was user error.

having a consumer camera and lens is not a life time sentence to soft photos.
t eyes or even in between both.

this shoot was random. he just said come shoot so i didnt have a chance to plan it.

I shoot single point auto focus and put that puppy right on the eyeball when i shoot portraits unless I have opted to shoot a different focus.

In the cases where you shot to his side and its focused on the wrong eye, you either focused incorrectly, focus and recomposed, or the camera/lens combo simply missed. That DOES happen.

Even with random pop up shoots, you can always tell the story with photos. Wide shots that establish the scene, medium shots showing action, tight portraits, and then close ups of the various details.

Its all about telling a story.

I shoot single point auto focus and put that puppy right on the eyeball when i shoot portraits unless I have opted to shoot a different focus.

In the cases where you shot to his side and its focused on the wrong eye, you either focused incorrectly, focus and recomposed, or the camera/lens combo simply missed. That DOES happen.

Even with random pop up shoots, you can always tell the story with photos. Wide shots that establish the scene, medium shots showing action, tight portraits, and then close ups of the various details.

i agree, but at the end of the day this was my first time shooting for someone so it was a good experience. i feel i know how to use a camera well (settings etc) so if thats the problem then i will see what i am doing wrong. i know that my composition and lighting could be better though.

as for focus i used single focus. how is this one out of focus? im trying to figure out what i did wrong

also just realized high iso speed nose reduction was on. i thought i hsd it off. msybe thats why some of these are dull?

Last edited:
Feels like the rails are on the same front "plane" as you, liek the camera focused on the rails and not you. If anything you should be more focused with the rails less in focus.

Feels like the rails are on the same front "plane" as you, liek the camera focused on the rails and not you. If anything you should be more focused with the rails less in focus.

i might have a focusing issue. the center focus point was getting good focus but when i shot in portrait with the camera vertical i had to change the focus point. then when i zoomed in on camera his face was blurry. i have it set to where the camera tells me where my focus point was and it was on the face. even if the wrong side of his face was chosen it was all too blurry. i will test it out again today to see if that was user error or not

i agree, but at the end of the day this was my first time shooting for someone so it was a good experience. i feel i know how to use a camera well (settings etc) so if thats the problem then i will see what i am doing wrong. i know that my composition and lighting could be better though.

as for focus i used single focus. how is this one out of focus? im trying to figure out what i did wrong

also just realized high iso speed nose reduction was on. i thought i hsd it off. msybe thats why some of these are dull?

Look at the outline around the silhouette... it fades into the background because the depth of field is too shallow for the effect it looks like you're going for.

its because you're shooting a super wide aperture for a shot that doesnt require it.

having a 1.8 lens doesn't mean every shot needs to be shot >2.8

silhouettes are supposed to be SHARP

There's a huge sharpness difference between what you posted and those...

Last edited:
Shoot looks uninspired and uneasy. Good tips being given already and I'll add this as someone who shoots full manual learn about that triangle offense (ISO, Shutter Speed, & Aperture) to help get a better contrast in your shots. They look dull and could also be from a less suitable light setting.

i agree. now i realized high speed iso was on. never intended for it to be so i may have accidentally left it on. could that be why some of this is dull?

Look at the outline around the silhouette... it fades into the background because the depth of field is too shallow for the effect it looks like you're going for.

its because you're shooting a super wide aperture for a shot that doesnt require it.

yeah i understand where i made a mistake. thanks for the feedback. its really helping me see what i am doing wrong.

as for now i know to work on composition/cropping, lighting, proper focus and choosing the right aperture.

any youtube channels you recommend for this?

Last edited:

i might have a focusing issue. the center focus point was getting good focus but when i shot in portrait with the camera vertical i had to change the focus point. then when i zoomed in on camera his face was blurry. i have it set to where the camera tells me where my focus point was and it was on the face. even if the wrong side of his face was chosen it was all too blurry. i will test it out again today to see if that was user error or not

Face =/= eye

Simply focusing on the side of the face when shooting at 1.8 ISNT GOOD ENOUGH.

You have to nail it right on the eye ball, make they they dont move forward or backwards, and make sure you dont move forward or backward.

The problem with that, is that most people breathe and it becomes extremely difficult to get tack sharp portraits at 1.8.

its a lot more that pointing and shooting its a very meticulous process and shooting that shallow of a DOF lowers shooting accuracy a lot.

I miss all the time shooting at 85mm 1.8... but i keep shooting till i get it or a use a smaller aperture if im off.

I shoot all the way up to f/4 if im feeling pretty off.

Face =/= eye

You have to nail it right on the eye ball, make they they dont move forward or backwards, and make sure you dont move forward or backward.

The problem with that, is that most people breathe and it becomes extremely difficult to get tack sharp portraits at 1.8.

its a lot more that pointing and shooting its a very meticulous process and shooting that shallow of a DOF lowers shooting accuracy a lot.

I miss all the time shooting at 85mm 1.8... but i keep shooting till i get it or a use a smaller aperture if im off.

hmm i dont remember having this problem on my other camera but i will make sure to test it out incase its user error. i know its better to focus on the eye but its just what i was noticing. nothing on the face was in focus even though focus was there supposed to be there. i will test this again though.

Last edited:
Yeah......don't shoot at f/1.8. Since you are dealing with people, you need most in focus or at least the notable things like eyes, nose, lips, etc. Shoot at f/2.0-2.8. You'll see a big difference clarity. Remember, shooting open will get you the background blur but what is the point if your subject matter is out of focus. I would say shoot at 1.8 when light is just not there but if you have light, shoot with a more closed aperture.

i agree. now

yeah i understand where i made a mistake. thanks for the feedback. its really helping me see what i am doing wrong.

as for now i know to work on composition/cropping, lighting, proper focus and choosing the right aperture.

any youtube channels you recommend for this?

I religiously watch froknowsphoto all about practicalities in shooting... does mostly real world reviews. ( I actually just bought another I SHOOT RAW shirt this morning :rofl:

I also watch
- Tony Northup (tends to be more dry technical knowledge but i loooooove the technical aspects of cameras)
- Matt Granger
- Casey neistat
- Scott Kelby
- SLR Lounge (they use their youtube to promote their premium content A LOT... but they still have lots of great free resources)

Theres others im sure im missing but those are all the regulars for sure

Last edited:
Face =/= eye

hmm i dont remember having this problem on my other camera but i will make sure to test it out incase its user error. i know its better to focus on the eye but its just what i was noticing. nothing on the face was in focus even though focus was there supposed to be there. i will test this again though.

I can promise you full certainty I am not wrong

Just because you have a lens that will do 1.8 doesn't mean you NEED to shoot it there all the time.

Shot at f/4 PLENTY of background blur

If i would have shot that at 1.8 or even 2.8 I would have never caught critical focus on the kid's eye and the whole thing would have been soft.

Yeah......don't shoot at f/1.8. Since you are dealing with people, you need most in focus or at least the notable things like eyes, nose, lips, etc. Shoot at f/2.0-2.8. You'll see a big difference clarity. Remember, shooting open will get you the background blur but what is the point if your subject matter is out of focus. I would say shoot at 1.8 when light is just not there but if you have light, shoot with a more closed aperture.

yeah i dont always aim to shoot at 1.8 for the bokeh lol. it just happened lol

Last edited:
I can promise you full certainty I am not wrong

Just because you have a lens that will do 1.8 doesn't mean you NEED to shoot it there all the time.

Shot at f/4 PLENTY of background blur

If i would have shot that at 1.8 or even 2.8 I would have never caught critical focus on the kid's eye and the whole thing would have been soft.

oh no i dont mean it as you are wrong, but anyways the silhoeutte was at 2.2. i cold have gone to 4

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom