The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^What he said, shots are :smokin
What are you shooting?

My bad, indoor and outdoor.

Portraits and landscape.

Now im lookin for a new camera as well, so what cannon lens and camera would you recommend?

Real talk im a rookie on all this lookin to spend around 3 grand total. Can settle for a great cannon learnin the ropes and then progress into a new lens.

For a rookie looking to spend 3 grand is a lot of dough lol. I'd say a used canon 6d with a 24-105mm should be good for what you will be using it for. It can be bought for ~$1400. The 24-105 isn't the sharpest lens but it will give you versatility with portraits which and landscape. Jumping into a 5dMK2 or 3 for a beginner is not what I would do since you probably won't use the full potential of it but you could also do that and just stick with it for a while. If you want prime lenses for better focus I'd shoot with a 50mm for portraits and 28mm or wider for landscapes? Depends on the type of landscapes also.

Many say the 70-200mm is the workhorse lens from canon with sharp focus but it goes for $1600+ brand new, an alternative is the tamron or sigma version which is cheaper.

For a rookie looking to spend 3 grand is a lot of dough lol. I'd say a used canon 6d with a 24-105mm should be good for what you will be using it for. It can be bought for ~$1400. The 24-105 isn't the sharpest lens but it will give you versatility with portraits which and landscape. Jumping into a 5dMK2 or 3 for a beginner is not what I would do since you probably won't use the full potential of it but you could also do that and just stick with it for a while. If you want prime lenses for better focus I'd shoot with a 50mm for portraits and 28mm or wider for landscapes? Depends on the type of landscapes also.

Many say the 70-200mm is the workhorse lens from canon with sharp focus but it goes for $1600+ brand new, an alternative is the tamron or sigma version which is cheaper.
If he has the money why shouldn't he get a body that will last him?

I would suggest getting a used Mark 2, I've seen them for as cheap as 500 bucks or pick up a 6D I just bought mine for 850.

5D Mark 2/6D body + 24-70 2.8 II + 85 1.2 L would be a pretty dope set up

With the 5d mk4 out prices for the mk3 and 2 will drop once more people get the 4. Plus the mk3 is a lot of camera for a beginner. Not sure how the mk2 compares to the 6d if it's the same specs or not but I guess either would be a good choice

Does anyone have suggestions on best (cheap/free) way to calibrate a Macbook Pro's screen.

Finally ordered a new MBP and wanted to see how I could get the screen calibrated.

Does anyone have suggestions on best (cheap/free) way to calibrate a Macbook Pro's screen.

Finally ordered a new MBP and wanted to see how I could get the screen calibrated.

i imagine you can always order a screen calibrator from amazon then return it if you wanted to be that cheap :nerd:

i imagine you can always order a screen calibrator from amazon then return it if you wanted to be that cheap
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
 any recommendations on which calibrator I should look into? 

With the 5d mk4 out prices for the mk3 and 2 will drop once more people get the 4. Plus the mk3 is a lot of camera for a beginner. Not sure how the mk2 compares to the 6d if it's the same specs or not but I guess either would be a good choice
Sorry for the ignorance but how is it "a lot of camera for a beginner" ? A Mark 4 and a T2i have the same basic functions so if you can learn on a t2i you can learn on a Mark 4. If you have the money why wouldn't you get the best option available? I started off with a D40 and was pissed within a week or two with how limited I felt by it.

Okay I hadn't though of the lens limitation going full frame vs cropped sensor that's a pretty valid point. I get hurt when I see a nice EF-S lens 

Last edited:
Sorry for the ignorance but how is it "a lot of camera for a beginner" ? A Mark 4 and a T2i have the same basic functions so if you can learn on a t2i you can learn on a Mark 4. If you have the money why wouldn't you get the best option available? I started off with a D40 and was pissed within a week or two with how limited I felt by it.

Okay I hadn't though of the lens limitation going full frame vs cropped sensor that's a pretty valid point. I get hurt when I see a nice EF-S lens 

It just doesn't make sense to drop so much money on the body when you are just starting, I'm pretty sure what limited you wasn't the camera, but the lense you were carrying, you wanna invest in something, invest in the best glass, you'll always look for the next upgrade, glass on the other hand..

I say only drop on a cheap body if a) you are on a budget and b) if this is a new hobby where your interest is there but are not totally vested in it yet. If you have the money and love photography even though you've never really done it, then go for the better stuff and save your money on upgrading in the future. I mean you'll upgrade anyways but maybe it won't be so quick. But I concur also with Steezy, get the glass over the body.

Maybe it's just me but as a beginner I'm guessing he'll be shooting in the "auto" function a lot vs full manual so he won't get the full effect of the camera. Again could just be me but like steezy said glass>body. Of course full frame>crop sensor but a 6D with a 70-200 and 24-105 would be a good set up vs spending the money on a MK3/4 with a 24-105. I guess he should rent the body/lens set up's first and see what he likes.

Man I keep borrowing my friends 24-70 Canon lens and I love its versatility. My nifty fifty is good and sharp for my street/fashion photography but the 50 sucks sometimes in tight spots.

Any recommended lenses again? Trying to under $500 but more in the $300 range. A zoom lens would be ideal since its for IG only mostly. Should I just grab a 24mm and call it a day and switch in and out with that and the 50?

Put a 35L or a 50L on a crop or full sensor it doesn't really matter, those lenses will shine, if it's on a cropped sensor, you practically have a 50L and an 85L :lol:

Glass will always beat out a body...the only thing that really makes bodies stand out is how the handle high ISOs but even a Mark3 is somewhat limited in that dept in comparison to say a Nikon d750 which is like half the price and legit can shoot in the darkness....that camera is absolute beast....this coming from a canon shooter

I havent been taking fotos due to be laziness and just being super busy sometimes. Some old pics i have, you may have seen these on my IG fyi (which i dont have anymore lol)

^^What he said, shots are :smokin
What are you shooting?

My bad, indoor and outdoor.

Portraits and landscape.

Now im lookin for a new camera as well, so what cannon lens and camera would you recommend?

Real talk im a rookie on all this lookin to spend around 3 grand total. Can settle for a great cannon learnin the ropes and then progress into a new lens.

if you aren't super invested into any system i recommend looking into mirrorless systems...also would recommend going in like that to start, not saying you have to be cheap but better to begin with something you won't place great expectation on while you learn & figure out what suits you, can't really choose a bad camera these days even if you tried rather it is whether a particular camera system fits with your goals/needs/style...good glass definitely makes a big difference but that might be jumping ahead to just getting out and getting used to using you camera & making pictures...

Back
Top Bottom