The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I got some prints at Costco a couple of months ago but I'm really disappointed - they all have a weird color cast to them. I complained but haven't heard anything back.

I was just listening to Tony Northrup's video on how photographers as a profession is becoming extinct since the income and what people pay doesn't justify a proper salary. He said that an average salary for a photography is in the range of like $32K a year. He also mentions how no one wants to pay good money for photographers anymore and how even just simple retail jobs like "the studios at the mall" are becoming extinct.

FACTS.

TRYING TO GET GIGS HERE IN MEMPHIS IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO PAY THE COST. OR THEIR COUSIN CAN DO IT FOR 50% LESS OR FOR FREE. AND THE FACT EVERYBODY AND THEIR GRANDMA'S ARE BUYING CAMERAS :smh: :smh: :smh:

BUT THEN GET UPSET WHEN THEY GET SOME CRAPPY PHOTOS FROM THEIR "COUSIN" :x :lol: .

Last edited:
Few new edits :smile:

I was just listening to Tony Northrup's video on how photographers as a profession is becoming extinct since the income and what people pay doesn't justify a proper salary. He said that an average salary for a photography is in the range of like $32K a year. He also mentions how no one wants to pay good money for photographers anymore and how even just simple retail jobs like "the studios at the mall" are becoming extinct.

FACTS.

TRYING TO GET GIGS HERE IN MEMPHIS IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO PAY THE COST. OR THEIR COUSIN CAN DO IT FOR 50% LESS OR FOR FREE. AND THE FACT EVERYBODY AND THEIR GRANDMA'S ARE BUYING CAMERAS :smh: :smh: :smh:

BUT THEN GET UPSET WHEN THEY GET SOME CRAPPY PHOTOS FROM THEIR "COUSIN" :x :lol: .

you seem to post a lot cityscapes and architecture on your ig page. What types of clients are you trying to get vs. the ones who are ducking you?

Do you have a website where people are contacting you and then backing out because of price?

I live in norther California (40 min away from SF and Sacramento)... lots of competition around here and I am very happy with my part time steez with portraiture.

Cheap people however, don't have geographical boundaries.

you seem to post a lot cityscapes and architecture on your ig page. What types of clients are you trying to get vs. the ones who are ducking you?

Do you have a website where people are contacting you and then backing out because of price?

I live in norther California (40 min away from SF and Sacramento)... lots of competition around here and I am very happy with my part time steez with portraiture.

IM OPEN TO ANY TYPE OF CLIENT.

I OPERATE MAINLY ON FB AND IG.... AS IM BUSY WITH WORK AS WELL AS TRYING TO GET ENROLLED IN A GRADUATE PROGRAM FOR MY MASTERS DEGREE.

PEOPLE CONTACT ME ALL THE TIME WANTING TO DO THIS AND THAT... BUT THEN SAY SOME UNSURE FAR OFF DATE OR "WHEN I GET MY BODY RIGHT" OR SOME RIDICULOUS EXCUSE. THEN I GIVE THEM MY PRICE WHICH IS QUITE CHEAP FOR THE AMOUNT OF WORK TO BE DONE(POST PROD.) AND THEY GO GHOST.

I KNOW QUITE A FEW PHOTOGS HERE... SOME DO GOOD WORK... OTHERS...WELL I CAN TELL THEY SHOOT ON AUTO MODE. :lol: AND I JUST SIT BACK AND WATCH. PEOPLE HERE, FROM MY EXPERIENCE, ALWAYS WANT A DISCOUNT OR DAMNED NEAR FREE.

Anybody use an online service for printing? If so, which one is the best?

I use a local printer which isn't the cheapest but they have been great for every print I've done so far.

Check out this video though. A lot of different test prints as well as examples. I would never go to Costco but that is more so cause I don't have a membership. Haha.

IM OPEN TO ANY TYPE OF CLIENT.

I OPERATE MAINLY ON FB AND IG.... AS IM BUSY WITH WORK AS WELL AS TRYING TO GET ENROLLED IN A GRADUATE PROGRAM FOR MY MASTERS DEGREE.

PEOPLE CONTACT ME ALL THE TIME WANTING TO DO THIS AND THAT... BUT THEN SAY SOME UNSURE FAR OFF DATE OR "WHEN I GET MY BODY RIGHT" OR SOME RIDICULOUS EXCUSE. THEN I GIVE THEM MY PRICE WHICH IS QUITE CHEAP FOR THE AMOUNT OF WORK TO BE DONE(POST PROD.) AND THEY GO GHOST.

I KNOW QUITE A FEW PHOTOGS HERE... SOME DO GOOD WORK... OTHERS...WELL I CAN TELL THEY SHOOT ON AUTO MODE. :lol: AND I JUST SIT BACK AND WATCH. PEOPLE HERE, FROM MY EXPERIENCE, ALWAYS WANT A DISCOUNT OR DAMNED NEAR FREE.

Yeah i work a full time job (rarely under 40hrs) and im married. I know all about being busy. :pimp: thats why i consider my passion, photography, a hustle.

But im 26, dont really ever go out except for w/ my wife, and photography is really dang near the only thing that gets me out of the house :lol: i live a pretty boring life.

i've lost plenty of potential projects because of cost but at the end of the day, as long as the client has the money, i always assume my work is being rated by their wallets. If they disagree that my work is worth the amount im asking, they reject my offer. This obviously excludes when a client just has a lack of funds.

Also, do not underestimate the value of free.

A few months back, i did a trade (no money was exchanged) project. While on the shoot, someone passing by saw what i was doing and looked me up on IG, liked my work, and contacted me. I have now done their family photos, their friends family photos, and signed a bride just last week because of that one person seeing me out shooting.

Thats a LOT of money on the back end of something that had a free front end.

I can say at least 6 other stories just like that in the past 12 months of doing this as a business.

I use a local printer which isn't the cheapest but they have been great for every print I've done so far.

Check out this video though. A lot of different test prints as well as examples. I would never go to Costco but that is more so cause I don't have a membership. Haha.

I use adorama pix

never unsatisfied.

I actually have 15 prints coming in next Monday :pimp:

Yeah i work a full time job (rarely under 40hrs) and im married. I know all about being busy. :pimp: thats why i consider my passion, photography, a hustle.

But im 26, dont really ever go out except for w/ my wife, and photography is really dang near the only thing that gets me out of the house :lol: i live a pretty boring life.

i've lost plenty of potential projects because of cost but at the end of the day, as long as the client has the money, i always assume my work is being rated by their wallets. If they disagree that my work is worth the amount im asking, they reject my offer. This obviously excludes when a client just has a lack of funds.

A few months back, i did a trade (no money was exchanged) project. While on the shoot, someone passing by saw what i was doing and looked me up on IG, liked my work, and contacted me. I have now done their family photos, their friends family photos, and signed a bride just last week because of that one person seeing me out shooting.

I can say at least 6 other stories just like that in the past 12 months of doing this as a business.

MAN I CAN DEF DIG THAT!

IM 30 AND DAMNED NEAR ALMOST SORTA KINDA MARRIED :lol: :lol: AND I DONT REALLY GO OUT EITHER. AND WHEN I DO ITS JUST ME AND WIFEY. WE TRAVEL A LOT SO I DO A LOT OF CITYSCAPES ON TRAVEL. BUT LOCALLY THE PORTRAIT GIGS ARE LACKING. NOW HONESTLY, I WORK LIKE THIS....
IF I APPROACH YOU, IM NOT GOING TO CHARGE YOU BECAUSE I WANT YOU FOR MY PAGE... BUT IF YOU APPROACH ME, THEN FINANCIALS WILL BE DISCUSSED.

AND LIKE I TELL WIFEY, IM JUST DOING ME UNTIL I CATCH MY WAVE. NOW I HAVE SOLD A COUPLE PRINTS OF MY CITYSCAPE STUFF AS WELL.

MAN I CAN DEF DIG THAT!

IM 30 AND DAMNED NEAR ALMOST SORTA KINDA MARRIED :lol: :lol: AND I DONT REALLY GO OUT EITHER. AND WHEN I DO ITS JUST ME AND WIFEY. WE TRAVEL A LOT SO I DO A LOT OF CITYSCAPES ON TRAVEL. BUT LOCALLY THE PORTRAIT GIGS ARE LACKING. NOW HONESTLY, I WORK LIKE THIS....
IF I APPROACH YOU, IM NOT GOING TO CHARGE YOU BECAUSE I WANT YOU FOR MY PAGE... BUT IF YOU APPROACH ME, THEN FINANCIALS WILL BE DISCUSSED.

AND LIKE I TELL WIFEY, IM JUST DOING ME UNTIL I CATCH MY WAVE. NOW I HAVE SOLD A COUPLE PRINTS OF MY CITYSCAPE STUFF AS WELL.

Thats exactly how i run my stuff.

I do a lot of trade work because im always trying leech off other people's followings to grow my own.

I don't get a lot of paid modeling work because of the reasons you mentioned -- They can get crappy pictures for free.

But i get a ton of couples, engagements and weddings. A ton in relation to my free time :lol:

--

Edit -- I freaking love your city stuff you're always posting. I never really get out and shoot buildings anymore. Im like 95% portraits at this point.

Last edited:

t3i Sigma 17-50mm f2.8

i have the canon 50mm 1.8 cheap nifty 50. thinking now that this sigma does 2.8 from 17-50 i can sell the cheap plastic canon 1.8 AND the kit lens so i can save for another lens

im constantly finding myself in situation where i cant shoot if i have to use HIGHER than iso 800, maybe can use 1600 but way too much noise on the t3i for my taste.

Keep the 50. I have the same lenses for my canon 60d. The 50 goes to 1.8 which is usefull at night and on top of that a prime is usually sharper.

t3i Sigma 17-50mm f2.8

i have the canon 50mm 1.8 cheap nifty 50. thinking now that this sigma does 2.8 from 17-50 i can sell the cheap plastic canon 1.8 AND the kit lens so i can save for another lens

im constantly finding myself in situation where i cant shoot if i have to use HIGHER than iso 800, maybe can use 1600 but way too much noise on the t3i for my taste.

Keep the 50. I have the same lenses for my canon 60d. The 50 goes to 1.8 which is usefull at night and on top of that a prime is usually sharper.

The 50mm stm at 1.8 isnt a very sharp lens.

its definitely sharp enough and probably a tad sharper on crop bodies.

I would also take the 50stm lens over a kit lens.

I actually gave mine away about 6 months ago :lol:

my 24-70 2.8L II is significantly sharper.

I'm in a photography Meetup group and they're going to start doing 2 portrait workshops per month for those who want to practice. It's like $20 per session. I may check it out.

The 50mm stm at 1.8 isnt a very sharp lens.

its definitely sharp enough and probably a tad sharper on crop bodies.

I would also take the 50stm lens over a kit lens.

I actually gave mine away about 6 months ago :lol:

my 24-70 2.8L II is significantly sharper.

Yeah you are right lol. Remember you do have an l lense compared to a regular 50 haha. But 50 prime woukd be sharper then the 50 on the sigma right? I have the 50 before the STM came out But just wondering because if its more so the same then I can sell my 50 as well haha

edit: maybe I will do a test later if I have time

Last edited:
Asked that same question in here a couple of weeks back and got recommended mpix. Ordered a couple of prints and I was happy with them. Here's a 25% off code if anyone want it prints2017.

Asked that same question in here a couple of weeks back and got recommended mpix. Ordered a couple of prints and I was happy with them. Here's a 25% off code if anyone want it prints2017.

Thank you sir!

Edit: What's up with mPix' pricing? I'm getting a 24x36 printed for a buddy and w/shipping on Adorama it's around $35 but just the same print itself on mPIX is like $54

What am I missing?

Last edited:
^^^^^Yes you can just bring it as a carryon. I am getting the MeFoto Roadtrip soon. Was thinking about the carbon one but I think the weight difference is minimal. The globetrotter seems too big imo but probably is the better tripod as far as it be more sturdy. I really wish I got the Roadtrip when it was on sale. I feel like I am paying way more than I'd like.

Should have followed your advice. Got the Globetrotter Carbon Fiber today and I think I'll exchange it for the Roadtrip Carbon Fiber. I'm around 5'8 and my last tripod couldn't hit my eye level so I thought it would be cool to have a tall one. But the Globetrotter actually extends beyond usable for me with the center column extended, so I'm sure the Roadtrip will be adequate in height. Globetrotter CF is just a little heavier and taller than I need (although still pretty light and compact honestly), so the Roadtrip Carbon Fiber should be perfect.

Might just return it all together, sell my 70d, and cop the A7Rii.

Last edited:
So excuse my ignorance but I'm a complete newbie to photography. I am looking for a solid camera that can help elevate the quality of the pictures for my business, which are mostly plated food, produce, or pics of our garden. Any suggestions for under $500? Also need to be able to easily put the pics online for our social media accounts

Last edited:
I do a lot of trade work because im always trying leech off other people's followings to grow my own.

I don't get a lot of paid modeling work because of the reasons you mentioned -- They can get crappy pictures for free.

that's smart, it may not always pay off monetarily (or networking/relationship wise) but i feel like if you are trying to make a some decent scratch with photography, networking & coming up with a workable business plan might be better than actually being good with the camera! you never know who knows who, so working with a bunch of different people as well as being cool & easy to work with goes a long way but is probably a grind to do & definitely isn't a guarantee to eventual lucrative work...you got to "enjoy the journey" as the cliché goes

So excuse my ignorance but I'm a complete newbie to photography. I am looking for a solid camera that can help elevate the quality of the pictures for my business, which are mostly plated food, produce, or pics of our garden. Any suggestions for under $500? Also need to be able to easily put the pics online for our social media accounts

what are you using to make your pictures with for your business now? $500 is a good amount to get a decent new camera, many of which will have wifi so you can send pictures to your phone/tablet, most cameras for that that price will do the job, other factors like size & functionality, that might factor more (or less) to you...you could go for a premium point & shoot (like a sony rx100 or a canon gx7- those can run depending on generation from $250-$900 used) or a entry level dslr with a kit zoom lens (upwards of $300 used)...

i'd try to save on whatever camera body you end up choosing & spending that on a really nice lens, maybe a prime (a fixed focal length, like a 35mm or 50mm, perhaps a 24mm) instead of a zoom - just so it will be easier for you to create a consistent look...i'd also recommend doing a lil googles into food photography technique/tutorials & see what camera, gear, & techniques are being used

that's smart, it may not always pay off monetarily (or networking/relationship wise) but i feel like if you are trying to make a some decent scratch with photography, networking & coming up with a workable business plan might be better than actually being good with the camera! you never know who knows who, so working with a bunch of different people as well as being cool & easy to work with goes a long way but is probably a grind to do & definitely isn't a guarantee to eventual lucrative work...you got to "enjoy the journey" as the cliché goes
what are you using to make your pictures with for your business now? $500 is a good amount to get a decent new camera, many of which will have wifi so you can send pictures to your phone/tablet, most cameras for that that price will do the job, other factors like size & functionality, that might factor more (or less) to you...you could go for a premium point & shoot (like a sony rx100 or a canon gx7- those can run depending on generation from $250-$900 used) or a entry level dslr with a kit zoom lens (upwards of $300 used)...

i'd try to save on whatever camera body you end up choosing & spending that on a really nice lens, maybe a prime (a fixed focal length, like a 35mm or 50mm, perhaps a 24mm) instead of a zoom - just so it will be easier for you to create a consistent look...i'd also recommend doing a lil googles into food photography technique/tutorials & see what camera, gear, & techniques are being used

Right now I'm just using my iPhone 7 which isn't bad but I want to take it to the next level, especially since we will be opening a restaurant in the near future so taking pics of plated food will be important.

Here's a pic I took yesterday with the iPhone, I edit everything on instagram app

Back
Top Bottom