The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^ I must be in the minority. I thought the trees and having half of the top of the mountain cut off really took away from the photo.

^ I must be in the minority. I thought the trees and having half of the top of the mountain cut off really took away from the photo.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by half of the top.

However, the beauty is that we have two almost identical picture and different people like one more than the other.

For me ....

The tree in the foreground gives it depth. Visually I can see how high it really is and I can imagine the fall going into a deep black hole. You see how it goes from the top of the tree to the bottom and it looks like it continues without end.

In the second image I can't compare or visualize the sizes or magnitude of the fall. I don't know or my imagination is not left to wonder if it just ends there or keeps going. It's plain and mostly boring for me.

Again you can clearly see that is enormous by the small trees by the top but the first one enhances it. The glow/mist rising from the bottom also makes you feel like you are looking into something horrific that's happening below and the viewer is in top almost like running away from the madness ...

Or maybe is just me ....

Either way, I prefer his over the one I posted ...

Last edited:
got a giftcard for 500$ recently. really want a used sony rx1 (obviously I'd have to make up the difference)... what's a fair price for a used one (not mark II)??
and, is that camera worth buying?

got a giftcard for 500$ recently. really want a used sony rx1 (obviously I'd have to make up the difference)... what's a fair price for a used one (not mark II)??
and, is that camera worth buying?

a used rx1 is prolly going to hit for about 1k +/- a couple hundred depending on the condition...only you can know whether it is worth buying though, why do you want an rx1? it is an impressive technical feat to have crammed a 35mm sensor in such a small more or less premium built package and it does deliver high quality images but i think it is a pretty 'hate it or love it' type camera...tough ergonomics for some, small buttons, a fairly deep menu, spotty autofocus (especially if you don't know how the sony AF works - better on vertical contrast than horizontal contrast), a weird file structure (pictures & different video formats in separate folders) in a camera that is basically a point & shoot (an advanced point & shoot, yes) but it is a little too complicated & not quite as easy to use as it maybe should be for a price that you could get an interchangeable lens camera that is more consistent & easier to use, if not as technically impressive

As much as I love my rx100 I seen much cheaper camera producing the same or better straight from camera images.

Last edited:
So I went to a camera store today and dude showed me an Olympus om camera. Not sure the exact model but he took a picture by touchscreen and zoomed on the persons eye and you can see detail. It was a crop camera and 18 mp. I'm sure other cameras can get dope quality but that was cool. Blew my mom away haha. I feel like other crop sensor cameras can show details like that as well but I could be wrong.

As much as I love my rx100 I seen much cheaper camera producing the same or better straight from camera images.

I think they're talking about the RX1, not the RX100 though.

Speaking of the RX100 though, what other cameras do you like instead of it? I've been thinking about picking up a used RX100 mk IV

welcome back @Mr Fongstarr lookin forward to your shots, cuz your IG teasers were bangin!!!

Made a quick trip to Yosemite for the first time last Saturday. Was really hoping for more snow but knew that wasn't going to be the case but was lucky AF to catch the Firefall phenomenon, so that made the whole trip worth it...

fire zoom by ryan g, on Flickr

WOW. I've been looking at pictures of this all week on ig. Can't make it out there in time to catch this unfortunately but this is just beautiful.

a used rx1 is prolly going to hit for about 1k +/- a couple hundred depending on the condition...only you can know whether it is worth buying though, why do you want an rx1? it is an impressive technical feat to have crammed a 35mm sensor in such a small more or less premium built package and it does deliver high quality images but i think it is a pretty 'hate it or love it' type camera...tough ergonomics for some, small buttons, a fairly deep menu, spotty autofocus (especially if you don't know how the sony AF works - better on vertical contrast than horizontal contrast), a weird file structure (pictures & different video formats in separate folders) in a camera that is basically a point & shoot (an advanced point & shoot, yes) but it is a little too complicated & not quite as easy to use as it maybe should be for a price that you could get an interchangeable lens camera that is more consistent & easier to use, if not as technically impressive

i've had a canon 5dmII and sold it for a III, both were paired with a 24mm 1.4 II.
sold the III and lens when i got into school because i didn't have the time to use it.
i wanna get back and want full frame but don't want a dslr rn, just too much to work with
and most my shots would be on the go etc. and dont wanna walk around with gear like that
are there any other alternatives that meet what i'm looking for?

and repped boss, thanks for your reply.

Is there any reason to keep a 50mm when going full frame? Just wondering because I feel like it will be unnecessary when I go full frame. Not upgrading any time soon. Just wondering. I do shoot 50mm exclusively on my film slr since that's all I have haha

Last edited:
Is there any reason to keep a 50mm when going full frame? Just wondering because I feel like it will be unnecessary when I go full frame. Not upgrading any time soon. Just wondering. I do shoot 50mm exclusively on my film slr since that's all I have haha

I just picked up a 6D and i use it with my 50mm 1.8 and i really like it. I like to shoot in the streets and candids and i think it goes well.

I think they're talking about the RX1, not the RX100 though.

Speaking of the RX100 though, what other cameras do you like instead of it? I've been thinking about picking up a used RX100 mk IV

there are quite a few 1" sensor advanced/premium point & shoot cams that are equal in quality to the rx100, canon has a couple, panasonic has a few as well, where the sony bests them is in all around feature set both in photo & video...if just concerned with photo quality any one of the other makes will do as well...

i've had a canon 5dmII and sold it for a III, both were paired with a 24mm 1.4 II.
sold the III and lens when i got into school because i didn't have the time to use it.
i wanna get back and want full frame but don't want a dslr rn, just too much to work with
and most my shots would be on the go etc. and dont wanna walk around with gear like that
are there any other alternatives that meet what i'm looking for?

and repped boss, thanks for your reply.

well there isn't anything quite like the rx1, but the crop apsc fuji x100(s,t, & the new f) comes close in size (while the x100 is taller & wider than the rx1, its lens is more compact/smaller which makes the x100 thinner), is a similar field of view w/a 35mm f2 equivalent lens, and has the (hybrid) viewfinder built in and is around the same price for the newest x100f as an rx1 is used...you could prolly find the previous models for quite a bit lower though...

Yo James, do you use the Palette Gear to edit in LR? I just copped it, can't wait to see how it changes my editing flow

When I went full frame, I ditched my 50mm 1.4 for a 35mm 1.4 and never looked back. I prefer the look of a picture taken on a 35mm focal length than a 50mm

for sure, i went from the 50mm to 35mm to 24mm.. and was happy with my move each time.
get as much captured as possible and let your feet be the zoom, it makes you much more creative when shooting also

I think my ideal lens setup would be a 15mm, 35mm, 85mm, and a 70-200.

But I'd probably take a 50mm if it was the only lens I was allowed to have.

Last edited:
Yo James, do you use the Palette Gear to edit in LR? I just copped it, can't wait to see how it changes my editing flow

MAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5d mark 4 and now pallete gear....

you wont stop flexing on me :rofl:

I want a pallete gear.... but i want them to give me one :lol:

Is the MK IV that much better than the III? I been seeing a lot more IV for sell than III.

Much cleaner extreme ISO performance.

but honestly, when I upgrade my body, there is a strong likely hood i'll switch to mirrorless. Sony A7 R II or whatever is current when i do it.

Right now I prefer the A7R II over the 5d mark 4.

Is the MK IV that much better than the III? I been seeing a lot more IV for sell than III.

but honestly, when I upgrade my body, there is a strong likely hood i'll switch to mirrorless. Sony A7 R II or whatever is current when i do it.

Crazy to think that the A7Rii is already at the same level as the 5dM4 depending on your needs...and that Sony will probably come out with two more iterations of the A7 series before the 5dm5 given the two company's update cycles. There might be a point where we're comparing the A7R4 to the Mark 4 and I imagine it'll be hard for consumers to choose Canon at that point.

There's even going to be an A9 series coming out which is going to be their pro mirrorless body. Sony is really pushing the industry right now.

Last edited:

Crazy to think that the A7Rii is already at the same level as the 5dM4 depending on your needs...and that Sony will probably come out with two more iterations of the A7 series before the 5dm5 given the two company's update cycles. There might be a point where we're comparing the A7R4 to the Mark 4 and I imagine it'll be hard for consumers to choose Canon at that point.

There's even going to be an A9 series coming out which is going to be their pro mirrorless body. Sony is really pushing the industry right now.

yeah for me, the canon 5d mark IV doesn't do anything the A7 R II can't do.

But honestly, its all about finding the right gear that works for you.

A LOT of people looooooooooooove having extremely big DSLR's.

Easy pass for me.

I understand size and weight for lenses, but give me that small sexy body of the A7's all day long.

I don't think the A7 can beat the 5D in stills but in video is another story.

I'm mainly doing still shots not filming.

I don't think the A7 can beat the 5D in stills but in video is another story.

I'm mainly doing still shots not filming.

In what way is it inferior?

I pretty much only do portraits and weddings and typically only print no larger than 20x30.

I've seen no benefits to shooting my 5d mark 3 over an A7R II. Definitely dont see any reasons for me to upgrade to a 5D Mark IV over a A7R II.

IMO what we're going to see with mirrorless is what we experienced 12-15 years ago with digital.

At this point, the only reason I see to stay shooting a DSLR is, of course, mainly budget. I also only currently see a need for sports photographers who shoot flagship DSLRs.

High end still photographers who use medium formats too probably can't switch either yet.

Back
Top Bottom