The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

It's nice to have smaller lens for traveling but I'd rather have the bigger more sturdier lenses for every day uses. The Sigma 35mm art is my main go to lens and is perfect for my every day life at home, but I'm worried about it being too bulky for every day walking around in Japan for 3 weeks. It would be so pointless but I'm heavily considering buying a 35mm f2 just to have something lighter to throw on the camera.

Feel like I just need to make the jump to mirrorless |I

I want to jump to sony mirrorless myself :smh:

stupid money :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

Video 13 is up if anyone is interested :smile:

Teach Me How to Lightroom - 013 - Matte Finish Engagement Photo

@DJYoung08
 Wish I had my camera already, want to start learning and shooting! Browsed through your channel good stuff homie. 

thanks man. im learning how to do this youtube thing as i go. only 3 weeks in. Im really enjoying the process.

Its super cool to be a help to people.

Or you know I don't see the point in spending literally x4 as much on a piece of metal? I've read at least 10 reviews and watched multiple videos of people using the non branded ones and haven't heard any horror stories. It's literally just pieces of metal and knobs. The only reason to buy the PD in my opinion is if you're truly trying to support the brand. 

Let me guess unless I'm using a carbon fiber manfrotto I don't respect my camera either? F outta here. I definitely have no problem cutting corners where I can to save money as someone on a budget. I've been using the non branded black rapid strap from ebay for about a year and it's money and cost 1/3 of the price.

Y'all really stay getting finessed with this non branded = cheap mentality. A lot of brands are straight overpricing their products. Oh y'all don't use yongnuo flashes either? Or cheap intervalometers? I understand with the clip it's holding your camera so you might be worried but Peak Design literally has a lower end model that's plastic. The no brand one is also metal like the "pro" PD model. Even with the attachment dude was talking about in the video makes it way more cost efficient.

I dunno bro, is not as simple as you make it seem, for something like this where the money saved is literally a difference of what 30-40$ and is the one thing that will stand between your camera and lense slamming on the floor, I would spend the extra cash, at the end of the day is your money, this isn't a cheap hobby or one where I would recommend cutting corners because the more invested and knowledgable you become, the more you realize what a waste it was to go cheap....reason why I don't promote jumping on majority of 3rd party lenses, then again I do this professionally.

I dunno bro, is not as simple as you make it seem, for something like this where the money saved is literally a difference of what 30-40$ and is the one thing that will stand between your camera and lense slamming on the floor, I would spend the extra cash, at the end of the day is your money, this isn't a cheap hobby or one where I would recommend cutting corners because the more invested and knowledgable you become, the more you realize what a waste it was to go cheap....reason why I don't promote jumping on majority of 3rd party lenses, then again I do this professionally.
So what about the 8 dollar black rapid strap I've been using with my 6D and Sigma Art 35 1.4 religiously? The Black Rapid version is about 50-80 dollars. It literally holds your camera up and I've had no issues with it. Tell me why I would spend 10x as much on some nylon straps and metal clips? Same goes for the PD capture clip. A 6D with a battery grip + a sigma 35mm + a lens hood is not a light combo at all and I 100% trust my set up on the cheap 3rd party strap. I personally went to my local camera store after buying the joint from ebay to check out the Black Rapid ones to see if I had made a mistake. The quality difference was so minimal there was no way I was going to buy it.

Key word being "majority" of 3rd party lenses. Between the Yonguo 35mm vs Canon 35mm L vs Sigma 35mm Art *all lenses I've owned and used* guess which I'm choosing? The Sigma every time which is why I kept it. I also shoot with a Rokinon 14mm 2.8 which has been amazing. Some of the cheaper 3rd party lenses suck yeah but that's why their cheap. But act like they all suck is ridiculously. Tamron/Samyang/Rokinon/Sigma/etc all have quality control issues with their gear but so do Canon. I've gotten lenses with front/back focusing issues from Canon. I've gotten 3rd party lenses with the same issues. You have to form your own opinion in these situations. With camera gear spending the most money does not always mean you're getting the best gear. There's no damn way I'm buying OEM Canon wireless triggers or intervalometers because the 3rd party ones work exactly the same in my experiences and do the job. Hell unless you're getting into some real technical shooting 3rd party flashes work just as good at a fraction of the cost.

You sound mad condescending with that last bit
roll.gif
 I'm not a professional but I'm freelance and do a lot of paid gigs. I could be making a million dollars a month and I'm still not going to throw money at a company just because.

Last edited:

So what about the 8 dollar black rapid strap I've been using with my 6D and Sigma Art 35 1.4 religiously? The Black Rapid version is about 50-80 dollars. It literally holds your camera up and I've had no issues with it. Tell me why I would spend 10x as much on some nylon straps and metal clips? Same goes for the PD capture clip. A 6D with a battery grip + a sigma 35mm + a lens hood is not a light combo at all and I 100% trust my set up on the cheap 3rd party strap. I personally went to my local camera store after buying the joint from ebay to check out the Black Rapid ones to see if I had made a mistake. The quality difference was so minimal there was no way I was going to buy it.

Key word being "majority" of 3rd party lenses. Between the Yonguo 35mm vs Canon 35mm L vs Sigma 35mm Art *all lenses I've owned and used* guess which I'm choosing? The Sigma every time which is why I kept it. I also shoot with a Rokinon 14mm 2.8 which has been amazing. Some of the cheaper 3rd party lenses suck yeah but that's why their cheap. But act like they all suck is ridiculously. Tamron/Samyang/Rokinon/Sigma/etc all have quality control issues with their gear but so do Canon. I've gotten lenses with front/back focusing issues from Canon. I've gotten 3rd party lenses with the same issues. You have to form your own opinion in these situations. With camera gear spending the most money does not always mean you're getting the best gear. There's no damn way I'm buying OEM Canon wireless triggers or intervalometers because the 3rd party ones work exactly the same in my experiences and do the job. Hell unless you're getting into some real technical shooting 3rd party flashes work just as good at a fraction of the cost.

You sound mad condescending with that last bit :rofl:  I'm not a professional but I'm freelance and do a lot of paid gigs. I could be making a million dollars a month and I'm still not going to throw money at a company just because.

The canon 35mm 1.4L II is leaps and bounds better than the sigma 35mm 1.4 fART lens... and you get what you pay for with that.... That being said... I shoot the canon 24-70 2.8L II and don't want either one of those lenses :lol:

I do agree with you that a lot of 3rd party accessories do the job though.

But I also use a ton of OEM stuff like the canon trigger and flash. I don't want to sound condescending to you but there's no way I could rely on a $50 3rd party flash system at a wedding. We're talking other people's memories here that they are paying me quite a bit of money to do right.

When I got started second shooting weddings I had almost everything 3rd party including my flash and my tamron glass.

And I also complained lot about recycle times and miss focusing.

When I made the switch from shooting every so often to shooting basically every weekend money, I decided it was time to just buy what i know is reliable vs. trying to find the diamond in the rough to save a buck. I honestly just dont have the time or extra money necessary to buy something i might be unhappy with then go out and buy the "better" version of.

And I sure hope my perspective clients have the same feeling about hiring me vs. someone cheaper than me who has "basically the same quality".... what goes around comes around.

Last edited:
#differentstrokesfordifferentfolks, some are willing to (over)pay for peace of mind for oem, while some value, value...professional or not every one has to weigh the value proposition of what they are spending their cash on...

And I sure hope my perspective clients have the same feeling about hiring me vs. someone cheaper than me who has "basically the same quality".... what goes around comes around.

you said it yourself:

IDK I like the larger lenses, they seem to give off more of a professional appeal. The small ones look like toys

While i do agree with this 100% the reality is most clients see your gear waaaayyy after seeing your work and hiring you.

And that mine is bigger BS is really only a pissing contest amongst other photographers.

know your gear, handle yourself professionally, & (over?)deliver on the service being provided then i doubt clients would care about what gear the photographer is using, be it 1st or 10th party gear...perception does matter to an extent though, and if one thinks 3rd party stuff is worse it will be easier to find faults with the 3rd party stuff that might be overlooked with the oem gear...

Not that serious, wasn't trying to attack you. Nice photos.

This is the new Sigma 14mm on a camera body to get an idea of the size. Lens looks crazy.

that things should be sweet for astrophotos! hopefully it falls inline with the high quality of the recent art lenses

Last edited:
The canon 35mm 1.4L II is leaps and bounds better than the sigma 35mm 1.4 fART lens... and you get what you pay for with that.... That being said... I shoot the canon 24-70 2.8L II and don't want either one of those lenses
laugh.gif

But I also use a ton of OEM stuff like the canon trigger and flash. I don't want to sound condescending to you but there's no way I could rely on a $50 3rd party flash system at a wedding. We're talking other people's memories here that they are paying me quite a bit of money to do right.

When I got started second shooting weddings I had almost everything 3rd party including my flash and my tamron glass.

When I made the switch from shooting every so often to shooting basically every weekend money, I decided it was time to just buy what i know is reliable vs. trying to find the diamond in the rough to save a buck. I honestly just dont have the time or extra money necessary to buy something i might be unhappy with then go out and buy the "better" version of.

The 35 L II is also like x2 as expensive as the Sigma or the original 35 L. In my PERSONAL opinion spending the extra 800 dollars is not worth it unless you are a top tier professional and are going to make that money back off your first shoot. The Sigma is better if not equal at least to the first 35mm L. The narrative that's going on in here makes it seem like you can't make money using 3rd party gear. I personally know a ton of people who shoot professionally using the art series in their wedding bag.

Like I said unless you're getting into real technical situations where you need to sync up flashes fast in more elaborate ways of course shelling out the money is worth it. I just don't get the elitist you have to buy the top tier Canon items mentality. I have a ton of Canon OEM accessories certain things you can't cut corners on. A nylon strap or a metal plate though? Yeah I'm not too concerned about it. 

I hope all my perspective clients don't give a rats *** about my gear and just refer to my work to let it speak for itself. Of course if you roll up with a point and shoot people are going to look at you a certain way of course but I'm not taking anyone less serious because they're using a Tamron 24-70 or a Sigma 50mm art.

And what about people on APSC cameras? There's so many highly decorated lenses that are 3rd party that are either better than the Canon counterpart or aren't even available. I wish daily that I could use the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8.

Last edited:
The canon 35mm 1.4L II is leaps and bounds better than the sigma 35mm 1.4 fART lens... and you get what you pay for with that.... That being said... I shoot the canon 24-70 2.8L II and don't want either one of those lenses :lol:

The 35 L II is also like x2 as expensive as the Sigma or the original 35 L. In my PERSONAL opinion spending the extra 800 dollars is not worth it unless you are a top tier professional and are going to make that money back off your first shoot. The Sigma is better if not equal at least to the first 35mm L. The narrative that's going on in here makes it seem like you can't make money using 3rd party gear. I personally know a ton of people who shoot professionally using the art series in their wedding bag.

First of all.. i would surely hope that the sigma art which came out like 14 years after the canon 35mm L lens is up to par with it :lol: Jesus Christ :rofl:

Honestly, I dont care who shoots what glass. Im really only concerned about what I shoot. Which is why I don't even own a 35mm Prime. As a portrait photographer, 24-70 2.8 is plenty good for my needs right now in the wider department.

Like I said unless you're getting into real technical situations where you need to sync up flashes fast in more elaborate ways of course shelling out the money is worth it. I just don't get the elitist you have to buy the top tier Canon items mentality.

About the flash... I only speak from personal experience using a cheap 3rd party system vs using my current canon system. I know 3rd party lighting is actually often superior to OEM lighting. Canon doesn't even make strobes, softboxes, etc :nerd: .... my experience with 3rd party lights was on the CHEAP end of the spectrum. Canon makes a cheap flash that I also dont want.

I have a ton of Canon OEM accessories certain things you can't cut corners on. A nylon strap or a metal plate though? Yeah I'm not too concerned about it. 

And I agree with that there isn't anything inherently wrong 3rd party accessories. I used to use an Altura Photo Rapid Fire that i got on amazon for sub 20. :pimp:

I hope all my perspective clients don't give a rats *** about my gear and just refer to my work to let it speak for itself. Of course if you roll up with a point and shoot people are going to look at you a certain way of course but I'm not taking anyone less serious because they're using a Tamron 24-70 or a Sigma 50mm art.

You miss understood what i said when I said:

This is not to say anything about you and dooming you unless you buy the expensive ish... :lol:

This is to say that if I cheap out on something because I'm cutting a corner, I worry that I set up bad karma for myself. I don't want perspective clients to say.. EH... So and so is half the price and "basically the same quality" as James.

And what about people on APSC cameras? There's so many highly decorated lenses that are 3rd party that are either better than the Canon counterpart or aren't even available. I wish daily that I could use the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8.

I've stated over and over again, i find that 3rd party lens manufacturers should be targeting lenses that dont exist in a better capacity than the OEM version.

that 18-35 1.8 is a great example of that.

the newly announced 14mm 1.8, and 135mm 1.8 are also awesome examples of that.

TBH its been WAY TOO LONG for canon to have basically zero competition as far as optics and it allows them to charge God awful amounts of money for glass. Best case scenario for me is that sigma keeps producing lenses that are way cheaper and almost as good as the canon version. It drives the price down of the canon version of things. :pimp:

Man that 35 L is old as hell but good glass should age well if it was quality. I've seen some great shots of people using mirrorless setups rocking with old FD lenses. I think everyone can agree if money isn't an object you should definitely be buying Canon L glass for your Canon body it just makes the most sense. I was just trying to get to the point that not all 3rd party gear is flimsy Chinese dollar store quality stuff. 
 TBH its been WAY TOO LONG for canon to have basically zero competition as far as optics and it allows them to charge God awful amounts of money for glass. Best case scenario for me is that sigma keeps producing lenses that are way cheaper and almost as good as the canon version. It drives the price down of the canon version of things. 
pimp.gif
This this this. I appreciate what Sigma is doing for the market even if every product they make isn't 100%. I honestly can't believe Canon has shot back with a response to the 18-35 1.8. I saw someone selling one locally for 450 
sick.gif
 I was so hurt.

I guess it just feels like Canon knows they have customers on lock and aren't really trying to push anything forward.

lots of debate. always good to hear different pov's. but if i could squeeze in a quick n00b question for those of you that do a lot of portraiture...is it safe to say that having an 85mm is highly preferable vs. a 50mm in most cases for portraiture stuff? i have a 28mm that im really attached to and probably my favorite length for my everday/walk around, but i've been trying portrait stuff lately and not caring too much for the length at 50mm. highly likely that this is consequence and a product of my lack of experience with a proper subject, but do you find that having an 85 makes a big difference for yall? a lot of photos on instagram and photographers sites that i check out and try to reflect on what makes them good to me don't have the info about the length of the photo , which is what i'm most curious and inquired to know. just wanted to try and get some thoughts as this is usually the first place i go for insight and suggestions. thanks all.

Last edited:
lots of debate. always good to hear different pov's. but if i could squeeze in a quick n00b question for those of you that do a lot of portraiture...is it safe to say that having an 85mm is highly preferable vs. a 50mm in most cases for portraiture stuff? i have a 28mm that im really attached to and probably my favorite length for my everday/walk around, but i've been trying portrait stuff lately and not caring too much for the length at 50mm. highly likely that this is consequence and a product of my lack of experience with a proper subject, but do you find that having an 85 makes a big difference for yall? a lot of photos on instagram and photographers sites that i check out and try to reflect on what makes them good to me don't have the info about the length of the photo , which is what i'm most curious and inquired to know. just wanted to try and get some thoughts as this is usually the first place i go for insight and suggestions. thanks all.

I recently picked up an 85mm. I definitely think I'll be using this over my 50mm for portrait work. That being said, I am on APSC.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume you're on cropped.

First you should check for stuff on Flickr more so you can peep the exif data. You can search out a specific type of photo you're looking for and peep the settings of photos you like. That being said if you're strictly using the 50 for portrait then I would say yeah picking up the 85 will definitely make you happier in that department. The longer focal length gives you better compression so depending on factors like distance between you and the subject you'll be getting bokeh. There'll be some people in here who like even longer than 85 for portraits to get that super blown out silky background. I don't think you'll magically get better photos by changing from the 50 to the 85 if you're already not getting shots you don't like with the 50 though. The 85 is so cheap it's worth checking out.

Last edited:

You sound mad condescending with that last bit :rofl:  I'm not a professional but I'm freelance and do a lot of paid gigs. I could be making a million dollars a month and I'm still not going to throw money at a company just because.

Fam you getting way too defensive, I've been doing this going on 8 years, I've had my share of third party lenses that held up just fine when I was starting, the reason I said I do this professionally is because I get paid to shoot, therefore I'm not gonna sell myself short, I have a business, a brand and a reputation to uphold, my camera bag alone is 900$, I have two leather holdfast holsters for when I shoot and if there is one thing people remember about me is how I carry and present myself, I'm not dumping on 3rd party lenses but I'm not gonna put my faith on them to shoot a wedding I'm getting paid for and you may like the sigma 35 ART, but you are out your mind if you think that lense is better than the 35L, I said it earlier, my boy has it and been trying to unload it because it simply hasn't been as reliable as it should be....but it is a fraction of the cost of a 35L so is worth the try....he hated it, I won't even entertain it....but once again that's ME, my standards are obviously not yours and if the 35L works for you or a bgrade of the Peakdesign clip then that's all good, but understand people will have a difference in opinions and my opinion is this isn't a hobby or profession for penny pinchers....word to the 4K I just dropped the other day on the mk4 :x

Last edited:

The 85mm IMO when you know how to use it is possibly the best portrait lense canon has, only drawback is the slow focus....the 50L is another beast on its own and I use it often, can't really go wrong with either...also the 85L is a tank so the 50L might suit you better as a walk around lense.

Fam you getting way too defensive, I've been doing this going on 8 years, I've had my share of third party lenses that held up just fine when I was starting, the reason I said I do this professionally is because I get paid to shoot, therefore I'm not gonna sell myself short, I have a business, a brand and a reputation to uphold, my camera bag is 900$, I have two leather holdfast holsters for when I shoot, I'm not dumping on 3rd party lenses but I'm not gonna put my faith on them to shoot a wedding I'm getting paid for and you may like the sigma 35 ART, but you are out your mind if you think that lense is better than the 35L, I said it earlier, my boy has it and been trying to unload it because it simply hasn't been as reliable as it should be....but it is a fraction of the cost of a 35L so is worth the try....he hated it, I won't even entertain it....but once again that's ME, my standards are obviously not yours and if the 35L works for you or a bgrade of the Peakdesign clip then that's all good, but understand people will have a difference in opinions and my opinion is this isn't a hobby or profession for penny pinchers....word to the 4K I just dropped the other day on the mk4
sick.gif
For me it's not penny pinching it's me asking myself do I want to spend an extra 60 dollars in a scenario where I can get something similar that's 80-90% as close to the original. I keep bringing up the Black Rapid strap but the joint I bought on ebay was literally 8 dollars and Black Rapid is pushing a product that from me handling both straps personally isn't worth the price. I've been rocking with that joint for about a year and I've been hiking up waterfalls and it's been straight I trust that product fully. So when it comes to physical 3rd party accessories it's like why wouldn't I save the money. For actual lenses definitely it's way different. The Sigma 35 is very comparable to the first verion of the 35L in my opinion which is why I got rid of my 35L. The new mark 2 joint of course is the better option but it also very clearly shows in the price. The only point I was making is that you don't have to buy the pro option to get great results. 

By the time us regular folk copping the copping the mk4 you gonna be copping the mk5 
roll.gif

The 85mm IMO when you know how to use it is possibly the best portrait lense canon has, only drawback is the slow focus....the 50L is another beast on its own and I use it often, can't really go wrong with either...also the 85L is a tank so the 50L might suit you better as a walk around lense.
See this what I'm talking about you assume this man is talking about the L joints when he clearly started the post off with "n00b" but I feel you homie that 85 doe 

Last edited:
My .02 cents ...

I shoot profoto ...to say that ABs are just as good is stupid. Do they work, yes, do they do the job, yes, have the AB ever let me down, no. Are they just as good for a fraction of the price ... **** No.

When it comes to lenses, is also the same ****. Just have to compare Apple's to Apple. Hey I want to save on this UWA lens .. Let me buy this 17-40L because is 600 bucks. Well, will it do the job, yes , will it let you down, no, is it as good as let's say the 16-35L f/4? **** No.

Lets not try to talk about who shot what and I'm a pro or not. The facts are facts.

When it comes to accessories, let's say a tripod which is going to hold your gear am I going to trust a check brand because is metal holding my camera ? **** No. While I might be over paying for it, I'm going to buy something that's true and tested point blank. Something that I know is not only going to keep my camera steady but that the ball joint is not going to slightly roll when doing a LE. A lot of picture look good in small resolution, but very **** when blown up.

Those are facts.

Ps if you suck you suck no matter what you have but to compare your work with someone with better gear that clearly suck is stupid. Give that gear to someone that know what they are doing and you will clearly see the gear is better.

I can take a picture with the 24-105L and then switch and take the same image with a 24-70 and I can clearly see the difference big time.

Last edited:
My .02 cents ...

I shoot profoto ...to say that ABs are just as good is stupid. Do they work, yes, do they do the job, yes, have the AB ever let me down, no. Are they just as good for a fraction of the price ... **** No.

When it comes to lenses, is also the same ****. Just have to compare Apple's to Apple. Hey I want to save on this UWA lens .. Let me buy this 17-40L because is 600 bucks. Well, will it do the job, yes , will it let you down, no, is it as good as let's say the 16-35L f/4? **** No.

Lets not try to talk about who shot what and I'm a pro or not. The facts are facts.

When it comes to accessories, let's say a tripod which is going to hold your gear am I going to trust a check brand because is metal holding my camera ? **** No. While I might be over paying for it, I'm going to buy something that's true and tested point blank. Something that I know is not only going to keep my camera steady but that the ball joint is not going to slightly roll when doing a LE. A lot of picture look good in small resolution, but very **** when blown up.

Those are facts.
When it comes to a tripod most of the crappy joints you come across aren't even metal anyway don't see how anyone could trust that. I've used the cheaper metal ones before and had no probably trusting them but you definitely can tell the quality difference in the build and designs. If you're dropping hundreds of dollars on a camera there shouldn't be issue investing in a good tripod for a couple hundred. But at the same time you don't gotta drop 500-1000 on the best manfrotto you can find to have a good able tripod. 

Last edited:
When it comes to a tripod most of the crappy joints you come across aren't even metal anyway don't see how anyone could trust that. I've used the cheaper metal ones before and had no probably trusting them but you definitely can tell the quality difference in the build and designs. If you're dropping hundreds of dollars on a camera there shouldn't be issue investing in a good tripod for a couple hundred. But at the same time you don't gotta drop 500-1000 on the best manfrotto you can find to have a good able tripod. 
well that depends who you ask. While I agree that a cheaper manfrotto will be steady it might be worth spending more for a different one. Like a CF LW that will be easier to log around for hikes or a more compact travel friendly size. But that's just a tripod then you have to think about the head .. When I might not compromise much there.

I can take a picture with the 24-105L and then switch and take the same image with a 24-70 and I can clearly see the difference big time.

The 24-70 is that much better? I heard the newer version is better but then I heard the newer 24-105 is good too. I hated the 24-70 version 1. That thing was so damn soft compared to my primes. It's so hard to go from primes to zooms.

The 24-70 is that much better? I heard the newer version is better but then I heard the newer 24-105 is good too. I hated the 24-70 version 1. That thing was so damn soft compared to my primes. It's so hard to go from primes to zooms.

Bro you a prime shooter, don't even bother with Zooms, no matter how good they are, you will be left wishing for more, trust me on this...had both the 24-70LII and the 70-200LII traded the 70-200 for the 85L and struggled selling the 24-70L

Back
Top Bottom