The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I ended up getting the 7dmkii and 5 lens for $1200

figured it was a gapped deal.

not sure how these tense are but I'm about to read and learn.

anyone have any sites recommendation for starting out.
1441B068-4BF8-4565-97C1-DABE326BCEE7.JPG

Return it all, get a full frame camera with a 24-70 and call it a day. New opinion on photography is start off with good equipment cause youll easily outgrow a crop sensor cam quick. Also its one of those things where you can get easily encouraged with the results from a better setup as opposed to being like ehhhh with the results from a meh setup and then kinda second guessing the whole photography thing.

Canon 6D’s go for cheap, and can also get a used 24-70. If you got the bread go 6D Mark II.

Return it all, get a full frame camera with a 24-70 and call it a day. New opinion on photography is start off with good equipment cause youll easily outgrow a crop sensor cam quick. Also its one of those things where you can get easily encouraged with the results from a better setup as opposed to being like ehhhh with the results from a meh setup and then kinda second guessing the whole photography thing.

Canon 6D’s go for cheap, and can also get a used 24-70. If you got the bread go 6D Mark II.
As much as I don't want to agree, I sort of do agree with Picasso but there are a ton of photographers that would disagree with us. I still think you can make do with your gear but there is a point where things can get a little limiting if you are a pixel peeper like me. I said it before but I don't know a thing about those lenses you got but I am a full frame snob as well and when I jumped from crop to full frame, the quality of my photos just looked better. But a lot of this is really what you want to try and shoot. I've shot some sports for fun and my 5D Mark 3 is borderline terrible for it and I'd imagine your 7D would be the better camera for that. I wouldn't say 7D is a landscape camera but you can definitely do stuff and just need to get the right lens for the crop sensor.

Just shoot it all first and find your niche. Once you want to improve on a specific style, look up the recommended gear and see what people are using.

As much as I don't want to agree, I sort of do agree with Picasso but there are a ton of photographers that would disagree with us. I still think you can make do with your gear but there is a point where things can get a little limiting if you are a pixel peeper like me. I said it before but I don't know a thing about those lenses you got but I am a full frame snob as well and when I jumped from crop to full frame, the quality of my photos just looked better. But a lot of this is really what you want to try and shoot. I've shot some sports for fun and my 5D Mark 3 is borderline terrible for it and I'd imagine your 7D would be the better camera for that. I wouldn't say 7D is a landscape camera but you can definitely do stuff and just need to get the right lens for the crop sensor.

Just shoot it all first and find your niche. Once you want to improve on a specific style, look up the recommended gear and see what people are using.

I just think full frame is the way to go to start off with cause youll advance a lot faster. Then you ofnt even have to worry about upgrading, different lenses if anything. You can def make it worth it with you got but get a full frame and a 24-70 and youre good with 90% of pictures you wanna get (aside from specialty type pics, wide angle landscapes, sports). You woudnt use ANY of those lenses you have there either anymore.

I just think full frame is the way to go to start off with cause youll advance a lot faster. Then you ofnt even have to worry about upgrading, different lenses if anything. You can def make it worth it with you got but get a full frame and a 24-70 and youre good with 90% of pictures you wanna get (aside from specialty type pics, wide angle landscapes, sports). You woudnt use ANY of those lenses you have there either anymore.
No....I agree. I did it the hard way and upgraded like 4 cameras but this was when full frames were well out of my budget. But the realization of this hobby is it's not cheap and you always want to get different gear. I think I keep things rather simple but I have 24mm prime, 50mm prime, 70-200mm for long lens stuff and a 15-30mm for wide. So that in itself is still a lot of gear and a lot of money but I know some people that literally have well over $10K worth of stuff and they shoot only for fun too.

Another way to save some money is to buy on Craigslist and even rent lenses. Buying used lenses is totally fine and if a lens is cosmetically bad but has clean glass, it's worth the purchase if the price is low.

Did some product photography photos last night just for fun. This stuff is pretty appealing to me cause it combines landscape photography and say car photography in one. The next thing I need to figure out is difference compositions cause I am sort of running out of ideas on how to shoot a bike.

Bianchi+Aria+1.jpg

Bianchi+Aria+2.jpg

Could do shots where its just the wheel spokes in the way or the wheel and the real subject matter is behind the spokes (spokes are blurred). Or wide angle view of the subject inbetween your handle bars, as if the camera was being shot from your pelvis.

Did some product photography photos last night just for fun. This stuff is pretty appealing to me cause it combines landscape photography and say car photography in one. The next thing I need to figure out is difference compositions cause I am sort of running out of ideas on how to shoot a bike.

Bianchi+Aria+1.jpg

Bianchi+Aria+2.jpg

Man, these are awesome. I'm just gonna start hitting YouTube and learn. If any of you have any solid recommendations shoot them my way please.

Man, these are awesome. I'm just gonna start hitting YouTube and learn. If any of you have any solid recommendations shoot them my way please.
Depends on what you are shooting but honestly google just by subject type. I can recommend you some channels but you'll get so many videos since most are uploading weekly. Just find your questions and get different opinions from different shooters. That is sort of the best way to go imo.

I’ll see it in IG but post it here too. :lol:
Man.....was going to try your suggestion but just never could figure it out when trying. Didn't know what to focus on that made sense through the wheel so ended up just with sort of the same composition today.

And just as a caption for this photo. This was shot at noon today. The skies in the Bay Area were so dark and orange/red that I was able to do a long exposure in the afternoon. I normally hate yellowed photos but I kept it as true as I could. A lot of photos were taken today by photographers with some really cool stuff. I though shooting the bike stuff would make it sort of different but I should have just did the tourist shots with the odd skies. Oh well.

Bianchi+Fire+1.jpg

Shoot everything but sports.

But would love to try birdb... joints are nice.

Mostly landscapes now though.

Shoot everything but sports.

But would love to try birdb... joints are nice.

Mostly landscapes now though.
Oh......duh. I like didn't even read your name when quoting your question. Go R5 man. 45MP madness is just the way to go. I'd get the R5 right now too but I am waiting till my Mark 3 literally craps out. Perhaps the only thing I am not a 100% on is the dynamic range but so far, I heard it is pretty awesome camera.

What’s everyone’s opinion on the new Sony A7C?

ive been wanting to make the plunge & I’ve talked myself out because of price, wanting full frame, wanting an articulating screen, wanting 4K recording, wanting great AF & also the fact I’ve never had anything other than my phone.

I had my eye on the Sony A7III & Fuji XT4 most, but you’re can maybe guess why I didn’t pull the trigger on either(along with price jitters lol), but now we have the A7C that checks most boxes...but I feel like for a new model 2020 camera it’s behind spec-wise somehow?

I’m ready to say **** it & take the plunge but I want to make sure first I’m right first I guess?

I’d be working with that new compact kit lens exclusively in the beginning. Mainly looking to capture landscape, make YouTube clips, capture some sports & general family portraits

I like what the a7c has to offer, but honestly I think I’d still pick up the a7iii if I make the jump to FF.

I saw some reviews on the A7C. It seems stuff like buttons, dials and menu makes it a little less desirable for shooting. Vlogging I think it does a better job but since I am not a vlogger, I can care less. I think someone said it’s be a good companion camera to a regular bodied camera. It’s a somewhat intriguing camera but I am so used to regular DSLRs that I’d still go with their other bodied cameras instead.

For the specs the a7c is cool but comes up short with practicality like the buttons, shortcuts and the viewfinder. Just pick up a used a7iii for less than a grand a buy some sigma glass and you’re set. I love my a7iii with 24-70

For the specs the a7c is cool but comes up short with practicality like the buttons, shortcuts and the viewfinder. Just pick up a used a7iii for less than a grand a buy some sigma glass and you’re set. I love my a7iii with 24-70

where are you finding an a7iii for less than a grand?! Man I’d jump on that haha

My bad lol I meant less than 2 grand.

Haha I was about to jump on that too, that would’ve cleared up any debate I had lol

I decided to go in a different direction though, I bought a gimbal/external light/mic for my phone & I’m going to work on my skills with my phone more.

I kept realizing I didn’t want to make any compromises with my camera when I do make that investment, so if I buy I’m going all-in with more money if needed...however my pockets aren’t THAT deep so I’m scaling back.

With that said, anyone know of any external lenses that work with iPhones well? I can work with my phone lens but I’m open.

I got the dji OM4 gimbal if compatibility matters.

Back
Top Bottom