The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

5463533791_34bc09f38f_b.jpg

I gotta start shooting more
ohwell.gif
My camera is getting dusty.

i have a question...where is the cheapest place to buy a 50 mm f/1.8 for canon? i remember seeing ppl saying it costs ~$75 new but everywhere i search it's at least $120. did the price on these go up?

also i have a feeling i'll eventually want the 1.4 for the better build quality and the aperture....so should i just save my money and go for the 1.4 instead of buying twice?

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

i have a question...where is the cheapest place to buy a 50 mm f/1.8 for canon? i remember seeing ppl saying it costs ~$75 new but everywhere i search it's at least $120. did the price on these go up?

also i have a feeling i'll eventually want the 1.4 for the better build quality and the aperture....so should i just save my money and go for the 1.4 instead of buying twice?
Where are you looking?  1.8 should go for $100 max

any online sites have em up for 119...amazon, b&h, abes, etc. can u show me the ones for 100?

^ Truth...I got mine for $60, but of course with a little negotiating, but sold it, and maybe a 1.4 in the future.

My first shot taken with a 5D/16-35L:

Cris.

Originally Posted by trhee

Where are you looking?  1.8 should go for $100 max
go to samy's B&M...they have them for $104.00 out the door. (pasadena, CA location)

2 cents: i'm quite satisfied with the cheap 1.8. after using it/getting a feel for it, i don't think i'd buy another 50mm prime. i'm okay with the cheap build quality since the glass/optics far outweigh the price. i'd use that money for a diff lens. maybe someone that has used both can chime in...

Anyone got samples with the 50mm 1.8 on a full frame? I want to see how it opens up more so on the cropped.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Anyone got samples with the 50mm 1.8 on a full frame? I want to see how it opens up more so on the cropped.
Everything in my Flickrhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/pisforprops Photostream this year was shot with the 1.8 on a 5D Mark II.

I preferred 35mm on a 1.6 crop before upgrading.

I thought the 50 would feel the similar if not the same. I still think I'll end up grabbing the 35.

Still feels tight in some instances

5457338967_74800ee9cd_z.jpg

Quick question guys

I want to start doing some nighttime shooting with my T1i, but filming, not still shots. What would be the best flash to use? It may sound like a dumb question, but is my Rebel's flash capable of staying on for the duration it's recording, because if so, I haven't figured it out and I lost my manual.

I recently got approached about filming this bi-monthly nightlife event so the promoter could cut little videos to pump his parties and I need to be able to get good footage in low-lit rooms.

Any help appreciated, I know someone here can help me.

Originally Posted by doyung9

I want to start doing some nighttime shooting with my T1i, but filming, not still shots. What would be the best flash to use? It may sound like a dumb question, but is my Rebel's flash capable of staying on for the duration it's recording, because if so, I haven't figured it out and I lost my manual.

I recently got approached about filming this bi-monthly nightlife event so the promoter could cut little videos to pump his parties and I need to be able to get good footage in low-lit rooms.
You just answered your own question. The word flash is synonymous to quick not continuous. And sure, attach your external flash and hit the button near the lens release, that'll be the closest thing to continuous light but it lasts 4-5 seconds or at least that's how it is for my XSi. 
For filming, you should look into hot shoe attachments that you see cinematographer's use something like this or a ring flash of some kind

2010-09-25-16.56.36.jpg

Just got the Olympus Pen E-PL1 for myself for my birthday. I was looking at some of the pricer Canon's but this kinda stuck out to me. I'm a true beginner and figured that this would be a cool camera to start with. I like how it's not too bulky and it kinda looks old school. I figure if I use this enough for a year or so maybe I'll stop being so cheap and get one of the more expensive DSLR's. I've taken like 3 pictures with it so far, just kinda testing it out and I'm too embarrassed to even post them in here but I'm going on a trip this week so I'll take some pics and post them later on next week. 

Originally Posted by NayokoChan

^ Great DOF on those! Do you mind sharing your settings?

Appreciate bro..

I use a 5D Mark II. Lens 70-200mm 2.8

1st Picture

[table][tr][td][table][tr][th=""]Exposure[/th][td]0.003 sec (1/320)[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Aperture[/th][td]f/2.8[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Focal Length[/th][td]200 mm[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]ISO Speed[/th][td]100[/td][/tr][/table][/td][th=""]
[/th][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][th=""]
[/th][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]2nd picture ...

[table][tr][th=""]Exposure[/th][td]0.017 sec (1/60)[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Aperture[/th][td]f/2.8[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Focal Length[/th][td]200 mm[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]ISO Speed[/th][td]100[/td][/tr][/table]

^ I should have known it was a 70-200. I need that in my life asap. Did you use a tripod for the second shot because of the slow shutter speed? I promise, that's my last question.

Back
Top Bottom